Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unbelieveable...

ricks0813

I saw 4 players on Sunday that played inspired football for their friend. Smoot,Rock,Moss and Cooley they left it all on the field.

Our coaches are great leaders and will have our team saying all the right things but they don't show up on Sundays they do a GREAT job during the week but on Sundays they look like they couldn't coach a highschool team.

So which was it....

only four players playing?

or

our coaches didnt show up?

you cant blame the coaches for the way they players played. Maybe we should suit up JG, GW, AS and JB. Have them play for us.

the problem is the same its been all year OL and DL(period) You are blind if you cant see that.

if it makes you feel good....go for it!

This game is history (i.e., water under the bridge). but I would note that actions like CP yelling at the O-line suggest that even the players realize they were not playing to capability. it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - but it was disappointing and no excuses should be made for mistakes they have been making all season long.

cmon now...taking the field? what was the other option? sit at home? weak.

appreciation? no. understanding? yes. empathy? yes. they laid an egg when it came to playing actual football...and they no it. I buy into "let's forget about it". but not into "let's explain it away."

You are right in a lot of ways but I do appreciate what they did. Their was talk of them sitting it out, and they didn't. They played bad football for the second half, no doubt and they have done that several times this season. I was disappointed as well, but we can;t deny that they do have the ULTIMATE in excuses. As for Portis, I mentioned earlier that everyone reacts differently to this kind of loss, and Portis wanted more then anything to win that game for Taylor, of course he was out there yelling and fired up.

Many of the comments that have made (not jut yours) that have been intended to contradict my point are not contradictory, I have said those very same things in my posts. I am not saying the players didn't realize they weren't playing well. I am saying for those people who are jumping on their case w/o giving them the benefit of the doubt that they all came out and did the best they could under these circumstances. I know it's football and they are pro's and we as fans judge, it's our job but let's just look at the whole picture.

As a combat veteran I will say this and you can take it for what it is worth....

DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the game of football to combat but this Sean Taylor situation does present some striking simularities at least for me.

There is plenty of time to mourn the dead (after the mission is complete). Compassion and understanding can take place after the season but now is the time to fight. The Redskins need to man-up and get themselves on track.

I want the Redskins to fight and not make excuses...:2cents:

Amen Brother. When we lost Soldiers in Iraq, we weren't granted time off to mourn. Sometimes, as soon as the funeral was over, we were back out there doing a mission. You need to get back in the game and complete the mission.

Continue to fight. No one said it would be easy.

Personally, I'm proud of the Redskins that they went out and played. I'm not proud of the result, but given the circumstances, they still played their hardest. It just wasn't enough...

The team just didn't seem to be on the same page. Jason got hit plenty of times, Clinton couldn't really get it going on the ground, the O-line was mediocre, and the D allowed that last big play to put them into position. They also gave Buffalo a short field a number of times. These things were allowed partly because of Sean's death, but also partly because they didn't play their best football.

It is true, that everybody gets paid to play football, I can guarantee you that getting paid and playing football was probably the farthest from everybody's mind while playing on Sunday. It was probably also the obligation of not letting a friend down that also contributed. I don't mean to sound apologetic, but it's really hard to play in any circumstances if you're in that situation. Of course, the consecutive timeouts didn't help either.

As far as positives go, they kept Buffalo out of the endzone, and the defense played with good intensity. I'm just hoping, and optimistic, that they can carry their intensity and they will learn from their mistakes when Thursday comes. If we lose, then that's it.

As a combat veteran I will say this and you can take it for what it is worth....

DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the game of football to combat but this Sean Taylor situation does present some striking simularities at least for me.

There is plenty of time to mourn the dead (after the mission is complete). Compassion and understanding can take place after the season but now is the time to fight. The Redskins need to man-up and get themselves on track.

But you are comparing it to combat. And its not the same! They are trained to play football not combat. They didn't expect to lose a team make like the way they did. You go to war and sadly you expect someone you know is going to die. Give me a break. Let's all agree to disagree. They came out and tried their best. They played. They almost won. In that respect it is similar to combat. We don't always win the war.

But, that is what this board has become overrun with: ignorant, hypocritical fans. We are more of an Eagles fanbase now, just with different colors. That is much more depressing than the way our team plays.

I agree, your example seems to fit some of the people here on the site. I wanted a win just as bad as everyone else but I was happy to see the team go out there and fight for that game, even if they came up short.

------------------------------------

Go ahead, tell us to leave and root for the Eagles and all of that crap, but you know what is really meant by this post.

But, that is what this board has become overrun with: ignorant, hypocritical fans. We are more of an Eagles fanbase now, just with different colors. That is much more depressing than the way our team plays.

That my friend is crossing the line just a tad. Some of you need to settle down a bit. I'm glad you feel that this team gave it their all. I think they did too, I am not upset at their effort.

I (like many) am upset that we gave another game away ... how much of a moral boost that game would have meant to these players, the fan base, etc. had we won it! Or had he we made them kick a 51 yarder to win it, instead of a chip shot 36 yarder and not felt that we handed them a victory on the last series of the game.

Look, I know one play doesn't always decide the outcome of a game and there are always other opportunities to win the ball game. But our coaching staff has said time after time, we are going to be in close ball games, we are not going to take unnecessary chances, we are going to come down to the wire.

And that's fine. I have no problem with that game plan. But when that is your game plan, doesn't it make sense to understand the rules of the game, clock management, time-out management, play-call management? It's like they can't look at the possible outcomes of different decisions in game, they only see one way to do things.

I feel awful for Gibbs, I dont want him fired, I have excused this weeks performance, it doesn't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things. But let's not go on a "holier than thou" crusade because we are all dealing with the grief of losing ST and are handling it in different ways.

Let's let people react how they need to react, whether we think it's right or wrong. If this week proved anything, is that "this is just a game." HTTR!

First and most importantly, thank you for what you have done and sacrificed for us and our country.

Second, I agree that when a country and other people's lives are the line there is no time to grieve. You have to man up and move on, do your job or other lives can be lost. The prize and purpose for the fight aren't comprable to what you what you and our soldiers fight for though.

We use the term hero so loosely in our society, that their should be degree's of heroism. An American Soldier is much different then many of our football players. Even though most of us will ever know your names, or what you even look like, it's a different degree of heroism. Thanks again !

That my friend is crossing the line just a tad. Some of you need to settle down a bit. I'm glad you feel that this team gave it their all. I think they did too, I am not upset at their effort.

I (like many) am upset that we gave another game away ... how much of a moral boost that game would have meant to these players, the fan base, etc. had we won it! Or had he we made them kick a 51 yarder to win it, instead of a chip shot 36 yarder and not felt that we handed them a victory on the last series of the game.

Look, I know one play doesn't always decide the outcome of a game and there are always other opportunities to win the ball game. But our coaching staff has said time after time, we are going to be in close ball games, we are not going to take unnecessary chances, we are going to come down to

the wire.

And that's fine. I have no problem with that game plan. But when that is your game plan, doesn't it make sense to understand the rules of the game, clock management, time-out management, play-call management? It's like they can't look at the possible outcomes of different decisions in game, they only see one way to do things.

I feel awful for Gibbs, I dont want him fired, I have excused this weeks performance, it doesn't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things. But let's not go on a "holier than thou" crusade because we are all dealing with the grief of losing ST and are handling it in different ways.

Let's let people react how they need to react, whether we think it's right or wrong. If this week proved anything, is that "this is just a game." HTTR!

I agree. So maybe we shouldn't criticize the players and how they reacted to ST's death too. . .

So which was it....

only four players playing?

or

our coaches didnt show up?

you cant blame the coaches for the way they players played. Maybe we should suit up JG, GW, AS and JB. Have them play for us.

the problem is the same its been all year OL and DL(period) You are blind if you cant see that.

Off the subject but look at the list of inuries just at those positions.

Personally, I'm proud of the Redskins that they went out and played. I'm not proud of the result, but given the circumstances, they still played their hardest. It just wasn't enough...

The team just didn't seem to be on the same page. Jason got hit plenty of times, Clinton couldn't really get it going on the ground, the O-line was mediocre, and the D allowed that last big play to put them into position. They also gave Buffalo a short field a number of times. These things were allowed partly because of Sean's death, but also partly because they didn't play their best football.

It is true, that everybody gets paid to play football, I can guarantee you that getting paid and playing football was probably the farthest from everybody's mind while playing on Sunday. It was probably also the obligation of not letting a friend down that also contributed. I don't mean to sound apologetic, but it's really hard to play in any circumstances if you're in that situation. Of course, the consecutive timeouts didn't help either.

As far as positives go, they kept Buffalo out of the endzone, and the defense played with good intensity. I'm just hoping, and optimistic, that they can carry their intensity and they will learn from their mistakes when Thursday comes. If we lose, then that's it.

I am also proud. I didn't like some calls, some missed tackles etc. I just can't judge a situation negatively when I have no idea ALL of the circumstances and the intensity of the emotions, and mind set that these guys experienced.

First and most importantly, thank you for what you have done and sacrificed for us and our country.

Second, I agree that when a country and other people's lives are the line there is no time to grieve. You have to man up and move on, do your job or other lives can be lost. The prize and purpose for the fight aren't comprable to what you what you and our soldiers fight for though.

We use the term hero so loosely in our society, that their should be degree's of heroism. An American Soldier is much different then many of our football players. Even though most of us will ever know your names, or what you even look like, it's a different degree of heroism. Thanks again !

Yes, despite our conversation here, I do appreciate your service to our country. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't respect what you and many others are doing or have done for our country. Sorry I did not mention that in my previous message. You guys are definitely the real heroes!!! Thank you for all you do! :-)

My God.....How many more of these posts are going to pop up? O.K. I get it!!Some of you think there is hope, some think the season is over, most of you think we arent that good, some say fire Joe, etc....

WE ARE ALL STILL REDSKINS FANS NO MATTER WHAT

The intention of this post is more about the out pouring of support, sympathy, and compassion from last week seemingly getting revoked because the Skins didn't play as well as we had all hoped. Again, not by all, maybe just a handful but even that's too many.

I agree. So maybe we shouldn't criticize the players and how they reacted to ST's death too. . .

Joe Jackson Gibbs said it himself ... "everyone will handle this tragic event differently."

I have no problem with folks criticizing our coaches and players for their performance. Those comments are about the game, not the type of people they are or judging their character as human beings.

No one is claiming they are bad people who don't are about their fallen player. I certainly am not, but I can still be disappointed we lost the game, and I can call a spade a spade. Mistakes were made, but I ain't holding a grudge over that. It's just a game in the grand scheme of things (just my perception after dealing with the loss of one of my favorite players and person on this team).

My point is, just because some are ready to talk football, doesn't mean they have no compassion or are in any way disrespecting the memory of ST, Joe Gibbs or the Redskins organization. To each his own. :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Maybe they did play there hardest but it just wasn't enough to win the game. That's what everyone is upset about. - They didn't fight hard enough to win. I just can't judge them in this particular circumstance that they were under. Let's all just pull together and root them on Thursday. They are going to need us behind them!

bingo!

I get the bigger picture also. but...I don't want to spend my time wallowing in misery and excuse making either. neither of the extremes is palatable....there is a middle ground.

Joe Jackson Gibbs said it himself ... "everyone will handle this tragic event differently."

I have no problem with folks criticizing our coaches and players for their performance. Those comments are about the game, not the type of people they are or judging their character as human beings.

No one is claiming they are bad people who don't are about their fallen player. I certainly am not, but I can still be disappointed we lost the game, and I can call a spade a spade. Mistakes were made, but I ain't holding a grudge over that. It's just a game in the grand scheme of things (just my perception after dealing with the loss of one of my favorite players and person on this team).

My point is, just because some are ready to talk football, doesn't mean they have no compassion or are in any way disrespecting the memory of ST, Joe Gibbs or the Redskins organization. To each his own. :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

you're right.

there is a notion somehow that the players are being disrespected. maybe by a very few...but overall...I think the criticisms have simply fallen in line with thooe we have seen all year. it is possible to separate the football from the personal.

You have made the best point, contradictory to my original post. I guess it's the way you put it but I can agree with that. You are right, some people are just ready to talk football again and it's just that. I can respect that and have no issue with those people but to say that the team didn't honor Taylor or to criticize individuals seems a bit too soon, but hey, that's why this is a discussion board.

You have made the best point, contradictory to my original post. I guess it's the way you put it but I can agree with that. You are right, some people are just ready to talk football again and it's just that. I can respect that and have no issue with those people but to say that the team didn't honor Taylor or to criticize individuals seems a bit too soon, but hey, that's why this is a discussion board.

totally agree with you as well, I would never say they didn't give their best effort. I saw the emotion at the game, i could feel it coming from the field. They just wore down physically and mentally.

We still have 4 games to play ... i want them to win for themselves, not for me. because I think this team deserves to feel good about themselves for what they have been dealing with. They have the HEART! HTTR!

They played exactly the way they have been playing for most of the games all year - badly. They did nothing to honor their friend. They went right back to playing bad football. Plain and simple. If you cant take the truth, stop watching football.

They honored their friend by taking the field and not tanking it, when almost anybody would've been able to understand it if they had.

From my memory, most "dedication" games like this don't go well. One example where it did work was when Wellington Mara died (Giants owner). I think we lost that 36-0.:( Or was that the game honoring LT's retirement?

totally agree with you as well, I would never say they didn't give their best effort. I saw the emotion at the game, i could feel it coming from the field. They just wore down physically and mentally.

We still have 4 games to play ... i want them to win for themselves, not for me. because I think this team deserves to feel good about themselves for what they have been dealing with. They have the HEART! HTTR!

That's a rough 4 game stretch...Bears, Giants, Vikes and Cowboys. It would be great to see them win out, but they will have to play the best football of their season. >>>>FINGERS CROSSED

They honored their friend by taking the field and not tanking it, when almost anybody would've been able to understand it if they had.

From my memory, most "dedication" games like this don't go well. One example where it did work was when Wellington Mara died (Giants owner). I think we lost that 36-0.:( Or was that the game honoring LT's retirement?

LOL, you're right. Something I didn't really consider. I know the Vikes had a terrible season after they lost Stringer, I don't recall how bad they were prior to that season though. I want to look into that deeper and see the trend.

Archived