Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a Laptop (finally) and I need Vista help

E-Dog Night

Since I won't be upgrading but rather buying it new, I gues half the problems will be moot right there. But I've done some research and it seems that there are still some issues with Vista that frighten me a bit.

I've found a good deal (I think -- http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11236956&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US ).

But it appears that XP is not an option. I'm not savvy enough to go with Red Hat (but Firefox is do-able). I'll use my laptop for typical business stuff. Outlook and Word will probably make up 90% of what I will do, outside the web. Wireless/WiFi connections will be huge.

There is also some Big Brother aspects to Vista that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Bottom line: keep searching for a system with XP (or have it installed), or go with Vista?

I say stil with Vista... basically like Xp.. just graphical enhancements... some of the backend administration is different, put in different places, but users stance works similar to XP

If Word and Outlook is your biggest use, and you install 2003 Office.. you won't see a big difference. 2007 is a big difference. IMO Office 2003->2007 is bigger difference than Windows XP->VIsta... That said I like Office 2007 also. It is different but I like the layout and once you get used to it I think it is better.

What are your specific concerns about Vista? I run an XP Pro desktop and a Vista/Linux dual boot laptop currently... so I have a good idea of how everything stacks up.

I dunno...I've just heard some horror stories, such as it takes 2 years for the bugs to get worked out and for 2nd party developers to catch up (I'd still like the other 10% of the stuff I put on there to work).

Funny...if you have the google toolbar installed and you type in "problems", it automatically populates "problems with vista". That kind of gave me a pause.

So what your saying is I shouldn't worry?

:D

Well you said Firefox is doable....I hope so...its nothing but a browser.

I'd really like to not use any Microsoft products at all. Was just trying to list the main pieces of software I planned on using. On a side note I was wondering if Gates had installed some type of internal sabotage to make Firefox all buggy with Vista. Didn't that happen with XP/2000 when it first came out? Not with Firefox But with Netscape? (Was Firefox even arounf then?)

I say stil with Vista... basically like Xp.. just graphical enhancements... some of the backend administration is different, put in different places, but users stance works similar to XP

If Word and Outlook is your biggest use, and you install 2003 Office.. you won't see a big difference. 2007 is a big difference. IMO Office 2003->2007 is bigger difference than Windows XP->VIsta... That said I like Office 2007 also. It is different but I like the layout and once you get used to it I think it is better.

So you haven't had any issues with non-MS software not working properly?

I'd really like to not use any Microsoft products at all. Was just trying to list the main pieces of software I planned on using. On a side note I was wondering if Gates had installed some type of internal sabotage to make Firefox all buggy with Vista. Didn't that happen with XP/2000 when it first came out? Not with Firefox But with Netscape? (Was Firefox even arounf then?)

Well Microsoft is going to make it hard for companies like Google who want to take out Microsoft in the long run. Firefox in itself will run fine on Vista. Google products might struggle but will catch up.

Your only options are really Mac and Microsoft. I do a lot of Government contracting work which requires MS office, Staroffice and such don't work well with a lot of my documents so I am stuck with Microsoft.

For basic web browsing and Word documents, you wont have any issues with Vista.

So you haven't had any issues with non-MS software not working properly?

May be some, you usually have to get latest versions, for example... Adobe 8, not Adobe 7. It has backward compatbilty options for programs that works well. Some say that you don't want an OS until Service Pack 1 is out, which should be out soon.

I dunno...I've just heard some horror stories, such as it takes 2 years for the bugs to get worked out and for 2nd party developers to catch up (I'd still like the other 10% of the stuff I put on there to work).

Funny...if you have the google toolbar installed and you type in "problems", it automatically populates "problems with vista". That kind of gave me a pause.

-It takes two years for bugs to get worked out? Vista hasn't been out for two years and all Microsoft products are slow to get the bugs worked out. You're equally screwed with XP or 2003 Server.

-Most of the problems with second party developers are quickly disappearing and it was a much bigger issue when Vista was first released.

-The people who complain the most about Vista seem to be the people who have worked with it the least... its not nearly so bad as some people make it out to be, it just takes a little getting used to.

I have Vista (32 bit) and I'm very happy with it. I think it's simply a great OS.

The only problem I've had with it is my Soundblaster card - Creative refused to update their drivers to allow for my particular speaker calibrator and surround sound to function with Vista. It's pretty lame, but it's not Microsoft's fault - it's Creatives. I'd still make the switch (to Vista).

That's a pretty good price for that HP laptop, when I was looking back in July it was going to cost at least 1000 w/o the insurance. I ended up finding a good deal on a Toshiba instead.

I have Vista Home Premium on mine, it's really not much different. However, some minor problems arise. I don't download anything, but I do stream movies. No games on it either.

At times though, the computer will just randomly restart and say there was some error. When I'm at school, Im on a different network, and when I go back home, I have to restart the computer so it'll recognize the home network. That could be more due to how my school's network is set up.

I also get random freezes, but not full freezes, they will clear up after a bit, but it's tedious to wait for a few seconds or for the lag. I have 2 gb's of RAM too, so I don't know why it's happening.

I'd just ensure you havea ton of RAM.

I haven't worked up the courage to install vista on one of my computers yet, but it does hog LOTS of ram, you are looking at a 2GB ram system so you should be fine to run vista, but My bro just got a 1GB system and vista chugged, I bought him 2GB ram for his new laptop and it is running much better but that still doesn't run like XP would on 1GB ram.

I say have XP installed on that computer if at all possible. You are used to it and it will work great with 2GB ram, not too much over that but 2GB will work great with it and you will not run into the driver/program problems that you might with vista.

Ok I'm on my new 5 pound HP baby. So far so good. I took it to my computer guru buddy and he uninstalled a bunch of memory hog crap that I didn't need. Vista comes pre-loaded with like 2 gigs of slop. At least this system did. But it's running fine although I haven't put anything on it. Going to slap another gig of memory in it before installing Office 2007.

Can't seem to connect to the internet via my ethernet connection though (I'm piggybacking on someone's wireless network at the moment). I was under the impression that I could just plug in and go. I've got comcast. Anybody know what little tab in widows hell I need to click to get a connection through my cable modem?

I have Vista and 512 MB of ram...works fine at times but if you are getting Vista be sure to get more RAM. This laptop lags like crazy any time any video game is run.

Take you own advice and invest in some RAM. I've been in the search for a new notebook and it's going to have atlease 2GB.

Archived