Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a Laptop (finally) and I need Vista help

E-Dog Night

As someone who got bullied into buying a vista laptop, let me tell you my vista story:

I had already decided that i didn't trust vista and installed XP as a dual-boot. for the most part i still used vista because in already had my programs installed on it and it has better power management options (you can get pretty good battery life with it). well its a damn good thing i decided to install XP along with Vista, because vista has now crapped out on me. it still boots up, but the problems become more apparent as you try to do things. first off, sound only kinda works. kinda as in OS sounds like opening music and anything related to the actual OS work, but sounds from programs don't. say your trying to watch a movie? no sound. play a game? no sound. that's just the beginning of my problems with vista. lets move on to the network and connections! When i try to do anything relating to network management (including finding available networks and connecting) it takes several minutes for the window to appear after i select it. after i do connect to a network, it does not confirm that i am actually connected to the network, it informs me that it is unsure of network connection. and on top of all of that, it is slow in accessing its SATA HDD.

Poker, I have similar problems. There doesn't seem to be a major problem with Vista as long as you aren't doing something requiring high-resources. However, there are just all these tiny things. Mine sometimes takes a bit to open up the network connection center. The random re-starts as I have mentioned happen. Just various minor things that can be overlooked, but at certain times do get annoying.

My desktop still has XP, and with all the crap I have thrown at it, it still runs great. I am weary of running any open-market software on vista other than winamp and firefox because I'm afraid something will screw up. I did also uninstall all those crap programs on it, that helped.

Poker, I have similar problems. There doesn't seem to be a major problem with Vista as long as you aren't doing something requiring high-resources. However, there are just all these tiny things. Mine sometimes takes a bit to open up the network connection center. The random re-starts as I have mentioned happen. Just various minor things that can be overlooked, but at certain times do get annoying.

My desktop still has XP, and with all the crap I have thrown at it, it still runs great. I am weary of running any open-market software on vista other than winamp and firefox because I'm afraid something will screw up. I did also uninstall all those crap programs on it, that helped.

if this stuff happened randomly or sporadically, i could handle it, but this is a consistant problem that does not go away. and to top it off, the no longer have a windows repair utility on the install CD, they have a boot-loader repair, but that's not my problem.

another thing is, is that it actually crashed on the first day i got it. i had to reinstall Vista from scratch. that was probably for the best because i could then not worry about uninstalling all the bloat-ware, i could just not install it in the first place.

all in all, if it worked, i wouldn't dislike it so much, but i still have problems with the fact that they renamed a lot of things that didn't need to be renamed which just makes life harder on me because i use a lot of the administrative tools. i got to know all of them on XP, and they've changed the name of them for absolutely no reason other than to bother me. i recommend to anyone who gets a vista laptop, see if you can get XP working on it as well so you can have a back-up in case vista does to you as it did to me.

get a mac theyre 10x better than pc's

if you like paying twice as much for a machine that's equally capable, then yeah, macs are for you. otherwise you could just get a PC and install a unix-based OS such as Linux or FreeBSD-- you know, the ones made by the people who actually did all of the work before apple came in and just used all of their free, open-sourced code to create a money vacuum.

if you like paying twice as much for a machine that's equally capable, then yeah, macs are for you. otherwise you could just get a PC and install a unix-based OS such as Linux or FreeBSD-- you know, the ones made by the people who actually did all of the work before apple came in and just used all of their free, open-sourced code to create a money vacuum.

Twice as much my Arse. Prices are very comparable and guess what... Macs just work. Even PC magazines and websites are singing Apples praises these days.

Don't take them serious, they're just programmed to say that. They scour the forums waiting for someone to make a thread about a new computer and just leave their signature "get a mac" comment. They don't actually read the thread to find out this guy already bought the notebook or care if it fits the user's prefrence. They just sit there and wait for next thread.

Sounds to me like most of your problems are hardware/driver related, poker. I've never had any problems like that and Lenovo's driver support for my laptop has been pretty stellar. My one gripe is that Vista takes a long time to boot up... but it runs pretty well beyond that.

you'd think so, wouldn't you? The machine didn't always act like this when i first reinstalled the OS. The device manager shows no device problems. plus, as i mentioned, I get sound for OS related things (start up music/ error tones) but not for applications. if it were a driver issue i wouldn't have any sound ( at least i wouldn't think so). it seems more like an error with the operating system communicating with the programs or somethign along those lines. besides, the odds that two different drivers would go bad at the same time without showing up in the device manager at all? also, the network settings and connections should still come up if there is a problem with one of the drivers, shouldn't it? there are multiple networking options including bluetooth, wifi, and ethernet. oh, and did i mention that i always get a bluetooth stack error?

long story short, i doubt its the drivers' faults, i would most likely see something in the device manager. oh yeah, and you know that option to see your vista rating in the computer properties? that won't show anymore, before i was having problems it would tell me my vista rating, and now it won't.

Twice as much my Arse. Prices are very comparable and guess what... Macs just work. Even PC magazines and websites are singing Apples praises these days.

Summary

spacer.gif

Subtotal $1,573.00

Estimated Ship:

1-3 business days

Free Shipping

Click "Update Details" to reflect changes to system price and shipping.

Specifications

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

* 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

* Superdrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

* Apple USB Modem

* AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

this is as close as i could come to the specifications of my laptop with a macbook. What the macbook doesn't have that i do: nVidia Geforce 8400GS graphics card, that cost me over a hundred dolars to upgrade to from the card that the macbook has. notice the price at over 1500? well i purchased my Inspiron 1420 for $1000. yup, i got a better machine at a much better price. oh yeah, and i also spent extra money on getting Vista Home Premium instead of Home Basic, which could have taken off another $50+ dollars. to be fair, the macbook comes with a webcam, which my laptop did not. i could have added one for $30, so take that for what its worth.

bottom line: 150% of the price of mine for a lesser machine? no thanks.

About Apples and PC's :

Apples cost at least 1000 dollars minimum. This was from about 5 months ago when I went to get a new laptop so this information is outdated , and if they lowered prices , I'm sorry for the "Herbstreit misinformation". However , the point still remains that you can buy a better laptop for less than Ibooks. I brought the Vista Laptop plus coupons and rebates for about 400 dollars. Of course , as I've said before it only has 512 mb RAM so you'll have to throw down a few to add RAM...but it still costs less than an Ibook.

Back to Vista : I also tried to play a DVD on the Vista laptop and there was no sound. I thought it was because the DVD was burned incorrectly but when I played it on my XP computer the sound was fine. Hmm...

No sound for WMP, poker?

Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.

some additional information about my computer:

under the System properties (windowkey + pause/break) where it should tell you processor (core2 duo t7500) and memory (2gb) it just says "Not Available". further evidence to a problem with the OS.

Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.

some additional information about my computer:

under the System properties (windowkey + pause/break) where it should tell you processor (core2 duo t7500) and memory (2gb) it just says "Not Available". further evidence to a problem with the OS.

Looks like you're not the only one with an Inspiron 1420 having that problem w/the sound. I'd go harass Dell about that one if I were you.

As for the processor/memory issue... you use AIM?

Looks like you're not the only one with an Inspiron 1420 having that problem w/the sound. I'd go harass Dell about that one if I were you.

As for the processor/memory issue... you use AIM?

yeah, i read about that problem. my moron brother decided i should have aim on my computer and installed it. i've since uninstalled it, but i don't have any system restore points to fix whatever damage it did.

what does that do?

I'd have to go grab my Vista machine to verify exactly how the thing is supposed to be configured, but evidently the chief problem is that Windows' system services account lacks the access necessary to perform certain tasks.

That command just grants it administrator priveleges and ought to fix the problem.

I'd have to go grab my Vista machine to verify exactly how the thing is supposed to be configured, but evidently the chief problem is that Windows' system services account lacks the access necessary to perform certain tasks.

That command just grants it administrator priveleges and ought to fix the problem.

hmm, i thought i had myself set up as an administrator.

hmm, i thought i had myself set up as an administrator.

You probably are. However, there is an actual Service account that also needs those priveleges. Even in Windows XP there is a SYSTEM account that is usually granted full permissions to the system to perform certain necessary tasks.

Also, your sound issues might be AIM related too.

You probably are. However, there is an actual Service account that also needs those priveleges. Even in Windows XP there is a SYSTEM account that is usually granted full permissions to the system to perform certain necessary tasks.

Also, your sound issues might be AIM related too.

they were, everything is now working, WMP, Networking, System info, app. sounds, that fixed all of my problems.

Archived