Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was Ware "keying on"?

God Help Me, I'm in Texas

Here's a quote from DeMarcus Ware, talking about his big sack/fumble in the 2nd half: "I timed it a little bit," Ware said. "But I'm not going to tell you what I was keying on. It helped out...that's what you need."

I had a hunch that what he was talking about is Campbell's tendency to "lean out" prior to the ball being snapped, especially, and almost always, before a pass.

I took this hunch and looked at the tape; here's what I calculated based on a subjective view of what I thought was a pre-snap "lean-out"

Passing plays, 28 attempts

total, with a lean 17 times

8-17 103yds, 1 TD 47% comp. 86.1 QB rating 2 sacks

total, without a lean 11 times

7-11 76yds, 1 TD 64% comp. 114.2 QB rating 0 sacks

As you can see, Campbell leaned-out while under center 17 out of 28 times, or 61% of the time.

Not surprisingly, both of Dallas' two sacks came when Campbell leaned out pre-snap, including Ware's sack/fumble, the one in which he says there was something he was "keying on".

And even when Dallas didn't sack Campbell following a lean-out, the pressure still increased, which contributed to his completion percentage dropping from 64% to 47%.

From there, I decided to look at shotgun as well. He was in it 26 times, and his numbers weren't bad...

Total, in shotgun formation 26 times

19-26 169 yds 1 Int. 73% comp. 74.0 QB rating 0 sacks

NOTE: without the interception, his QB rating is 90%

...but something else happened 26 times: he jerked up his knee prior to the ball being snapped, happening always a second prior.

Granted, he completed 73% of his passes here; but he was constantly under pressure. Thankfully, we were bailed out by a poor Dallas secondary who generally left the first read open.

Back to Ware's comments, if you watch the tape you'll see Campbell's worst, and most exaggerated, "lean-out" of the game happen on that sack/fumble play.

It seems likely that this was the "key" that Ware's talking about.

Thanks for the great research. I always had a feeling that JC should be operating more from the shot-gun position simply because that was what he used most of the time during college. But I didn't have those stats to back-up what I thought.

Side-note - Demarcus Ware and Marcus Washington went to the same high school in Al.

Gibbs was also saying in his presser that the reason Jason missed that pass to Santana in the end zone by a few inches was because one of the defenders (Ware maybe?) brushed across his back and it disrupted the timing of his throw.

Gibbs basically said that otherwise that was a TD.

it's threads like this that keep me coming back :) Good research, great post.

Didn't someone mention this about Campbell in the Pre-season as well. If I weren't such a lazy **** I'd find the thread. They didn't know what it was that allowed the defensive linemen to get a good jump on the snap but I think you may have nailed it.

Thanks

but something else happened 26 times: he jerked up his knee prior to the ball being snapped. Everytime. And not only that, but the time between his knee-jerk and the ball getting snapped never changed. It always happened about a second prior.

This is the signal for the center to snap the ball. Every team does it. It is designed for loud stadiums when the line can not hear.

Man, that might not be a bad thing to use to his advantage. If they can coach him out of that, he can then use it to draw guys offsides.

Yeah? You give the defense the advantage hundreds of times only to use it to your advantage, what, a few times? That's not too smart.

Great reasearch by the way.

...but something else happened 26 times: he jerked up his knee prior to the ball being snapped. Everytime. And not only that, but the time between his knee-jerk and the ball getting snapped never changed. It always happened about a second prior.

Good research on the lean, but you actually see a lot of QBs do the "knee-jerk" out of the shotgun. Peyton Manning in particular does that a lot and I believe its part of their silent count but I can't verify that 100%. Either way, I'm confident that there's a reason for the knee movement.

Archived