Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Happens Every Year

Hard_Hitters88

Why do we always have to play at Tampa Bay every single year. I know now that league is probaly trying to make a rivialy between us but the only way that would work is if they play over here sometimes. 3 out of the 4 games have been played in Tampa on a playoff game (Thats ok) but only one time in DC thats not fair.

Agree. We play the Bucs to often. Not to mention it's always in TB it seems. Give us another team to play League. I do remember one year we had two Tampa games in the regular season might've been 94' or maybe it seemed we did can't really remember.

Post Confirmation: Yes we did do it here's the Scedule for 94.

WeekDateGameTime (EST)AttendanceTop PasserTop RusherTop Receiver1Sep 04SEA 28 @ WAS 7FINAL 52,930 WAS John Friesz: 210YdsSEA Chris Warren: 100YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 105Yds2

Sep 11WAS 38 @ NO 24FINAL 58,049 NO Jim Everett: 376YdsWAS Reggie Brooks: 92YdsNO Michael Haynes: 87Yds3

Sep 18WAS 23 @ NYG 31FINAL 77,298 WAS John Friesz: 381YdsNYG Dave Meggett: 82YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 197Yds4

Sep 25ATL 27 @ WAS 20FINAL 53,238 ATL Jeff George: 270YdsATL Erric Pegram: 29YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 162Yds5

Oct 02DAL 34 @ WAS 7FINAL 55,394 DAL Troy Aikman: 181YdsDAL Lincoln Coleman: 74YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 51Yds6

Oct 09WAS 17 @ PHI 21FINAL 63,947 PHI Randall Cunningham: 261YdsPHI Charlie Garner: 122YdsPHI Fred Barnett: 90Yds7

Oct 16ARI 19 @ WAS 16FINAL 50,019 ARI Steve Beuerlein: 194YdsARI Ronald Moore: 118YdsARI Larry Centers: 66Yds8

Oct 23WAS 41 @ IND 27FINAL 57,879 WAS Gus Frerotte: 226YdsWAS Ricky Ervins: 90YdsIND Marshall Faulk: 127Yds9

Oct 30PHI 31 @ WAS 29FINAL 53,530 WAS Gus Frerotte: 189YdsWAS Brian Mitchell: 85YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 84Yds10

Nov 06SF 37 @ WAS 22FINAL 54,335 SF Steve Young: 291YdsWAS Ricky Ervins: 52YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 93Yds11Bye12

Nov 20WAS 7 @ DAL 31FINAL 64,644 WAS John Friesz: 193YdsDAL Emmitt Smith: 85YdsWAS Desmond Howard: 107Yds13

Nov 27NYG 21 @ WAS 19FINAL 43,384 WAS Heath Shuler: 165YdsNYG Rodney Hampton: 106YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 81Yds14

Dec 04WAS 21 @ TB 26FINAL 45,121 WAS Heath Shuler: 278YdsTB Errict Rhett: 192YdsWAS Desmond Howard: 130Yds15

Dec 11WAS 15 @ ARI 17FINAL 53,790 WAS Heath Shuler: 286YdsWAS Brian Mitchell: 60YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 191Yds16

Dec 18TB 17 @ WAS 14FINAL 47,315 TB Craig Erickson: 267YdsTB Errict Rhett: 64YdsTB Lawrence Dawsey: 116Yds17

Dec 24WAS 24 @ RAM 21FINAL 25,705 RAM Chris Miller: 304YdsWAS Reggie Brooks: 50YdsWAS Henry Ellard: 81Yds

Why do we always have to play at Tampa Bay every single year. I know now that league is probaly trying to make a rivialy between us but the only way that would work is if they play over here sometimes. 3 out of the 4 games have been played in Tampa on a playoff game (Thats ok) but only one time in DC thats not fair.

How can you blame this on the league? Its purely coincidental that we play Tampa every year. The teams we play is determined before hand, and not dictated by the league. Just a coincidence that both us and tampa finished last in our divisions last year.

Agree. We play the Bucs to often. Not to mention it's always in TB it seems. Give us another team to play League. I do remember one year we had two Tampa games in the regular season might've been 94' or maybe it seemed we did can't really remember.

2 tampa games in the regular season? :laugh: honestly, do you guys think before you post?

Yea its determines by our record. A last place team in a division will always play all other last place teams in the conference.(Cardinals, Buccaneers) this year in addtion to another division, this year the NFC north. But i'm not really sure why we have to play them at Tampa every damn year...

How can you blame this on the league? Its purely coincidental that we play Tampa every year. The teams we play is determined before hand, and not dictated by the league. Just a coincidence that both us and tampa finished last in our divisions last year.

I am not trying to blame the league and i know that they have the teams picked out for the next 5 years im just saying if we are going to play Tampa every year lets play here sometimes. I like playing Tampa and hope we can play more against them for it to become a legit rivialy .

Ok, you knowwhat. I guess you guys dont know how the league scheduling works. Sol, ill give you the crash course.

Every year, we play our division opponents for 6 games, thats obvious.

We also have an AFC division we play that rotates every year. Last year it was the South, this year it was the East, next year the North.

The same rule applies for an NFC division. Which rotates between the other 3 divisions. Last year the South, this year the North, next year the West.

We then also play the two other division teams that finished in the same place in there division as we did. So for example, this year those teams are Tampa(South) and Arizona(West).

So lets sum it up:

Division Games: 6

AFC division: 4

NFC division: 4

NFC team with same final position not in NFC division: 1

2nd NFC team with same final position not in NFC division: 1

total: 16 games.

Any questions?

I am not trying to blame the league and i know that they have the teams picked out for the next 5 years im just saying if we are going to play Tampa every year lets play here sometimes. I like playing Tampa and hope we can play more against them for it to become a legit rivialy .

They had the better record, they get the home game. i believe thats how it works.

Guys-- we've been over this before. The league has NOTHING to do with it. It is all pre-set.

Each year the NFC East teams play the four teams from one of the other three NFC divisions.

NO MATTER WHAT every three years we will play at Tampa and every three years we will play them in Washington (we played them in 2003 in DC and in 2006 in Tampa).

The reason we played in Tampa in 2005 and again this year is very simple:

Each season, you play TWO games against "wild card" opponents-- meaning:

--6 games within the division

--4 games against an AFC division (on a yearly rotating division-to-division basis)

--4 games against an NFC division (on a three-year rotating basis)

That's 14 games.

The final two games are determined by how you finish.

For example-- going into this year we were matched up with the NFC North:

at GB

at Minn

Chi

Det

In three years, we will play those 4 teams again NO MATTER what, but we will reverse WHERE we play them.

Before this season, it was scheduled that the last place team from the East in 2006 (Redskins) would play the last place team from the West (Cardinals) at home and the last place team from the South (Bucs) on the road.

Next year, we play the NFC West

at 49ers

at Seahawks

Rams

Cardinals

This is the REVERSE of how we played them three years prior (2005). So, we will actually play Arizona back-to-back years at home.

Next year we play AT the team from the North who finishes in the same slot as we do and play at home against the team from the South that finishes in the same slot as we do.

No one "makes" the schedule--14 games are always pre-set and the other two are determined by where you finish.

Just to make it simple:

Redskins 2008 Schedule (no dates yet of course)

at Dallas

at NYG

at Philly

at Cincy

at Baltimore

at Seattle

at SF

Dallas

NYG

Philly

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Arizona

St. Louis

at NFC North

NFC South

So, let's say we finish 3rd in the East. We would most likely be playing Carolina or New Orleans at home and going on the road to Minnesota or Chicago.

2 tampa games in the regular season? :laugh: honestly, do you guys think before you post?

no man it's true we did play tampa twice in 94.

to answer the Q as to why we play Tampa so much, its because every year we end up with close to the same record, the schedule makers put similar teams together for entertainment/competition reasons...last year we played tampa because we played the whole nfc south and in 05 we played them because in 04 we were both shaky teams with poor records(same goes for this year) i'm sure its just chance that we have played them 3 straight times there.

This is the REVERSE of how we played them three years prior (2005). So, we will actually play Arizona back-to-back years at home.

And if we finish in the same position within our respective divisions next year, Arizona will come here again in 2009.

Next year we play AT the team from the North who finishes in the same slot as we do ...

... and if it happens to be Minnesota, we'll be there next season. And if we finish in the same position within our respective divisions, we'll go there in 2009.

The Giants had to play in Minnesota for three straight seasons (2002-2004) so it's not the first time under this new scheduling algorithm ...

cheers

no man it's true we did play tampa twice in 94.

to answer the Q as to why we play Tampa so much, its because every year we end up with close to the same record, the schedule makers put similar teams together for entertainment/competition reasons...last year we played tampa because we played the whole nfc south and in 05 we played them because in 04 we were both shaky teams with poor records(same goes for this year) i'm sure its just chance that we have played them 3 straight times there.

Yeah dude, i saw that. I forgot that in '94 there was an uneven amount of teams in each division.

Archived