Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins have figured out the game

mdskins75

The Redskins have figured it out after all these years, they finally have. In the Salary Cap Era they have figured out the single most important thing that gives us an opportunity to be consistently good. What is it? IT's been so obvious like an X on a wall but i couldn't see it and neither could the Redskins for several years. Stablity at QB. That's it.

All the years of the Mcnabb dominance was due to one thing. Stability at the QB position. They interchanged all the other pieces year in and year out but Mcnabb was always there and so were the 10 plus win seasons.

Now this doesn't guarantee us to win every year but it does give us the best opportunity. Take a look at all your perrenial contenders (Pats, Colts, Eagles) and they had stability at QB.

I think Campbell is the real deal and i think we now finally have what we've been waiting for. Consistently good teams. Sure we will change the db,lb wr, and everything else but this is how you beat the salary cap. I really believe that the QB has to remain the same. So it wasn't neccesarily works of genius from New England or Philly, they just knew you always needed to keep the same qb in this salary cap era. Finally we figured it out and so have the Cowboys and Giants. Expect this division to be supercompetitive once again and Super bowl winners coming from here in the forseeable future. This will be the most stable division in nfl and you will see every team reap the benefits from this approach. I really believe the Redskins have finally figured it out.

we will go 6-0 i know we will.

we play some average teams i see us blowing tampa out sunday.

then sean taylor comes back we go to nyc and kick some giant ass, revenge is a ****.

I think we go 9-7 and sneak into final spot. Campbell is still a work in progress but i've enjoyed watching him. I've seen this team win 3 superbowls and i've still yet to see any stability at the QB position. There were different rules to the game in pre salary cap era and now i believe the much criticized Redskins front office has figured out how to compete in this new arena. This is a credit to Gibbs. If he wasn't here we may have never drafted another QB and would still be trudging through some has been Free Agent QB.

Well, I would add that you need a good offensive line as well. Donovan McLoser, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady all have great offensive lines that can run block and pass protect well above average.

We would have that if the Skins OL was healthy but it isn't. I hate the eagles and always wondered how they pulled this off? They have switched players at every position like it was nothing. There really is no way around it because the cap doesn't allow you to retain good players for long. Keep the QB and no matter the changes the team still has a chance to tread above water. Every team in the league has to shuffle players but if the QB is changing then it will cause more damage than any other position on the field.

So as long as Campbell is the real deal and we keep him around then we should be fine. It will hurt to see some big name players come and go but they are all interchangeable and disposable except your QB. I would love to have the old nfl where we could see the same team every year but they don't allow it to happen. I think this is the only way to achieve consistent sucess.

then sean taylor comes back we go to nyc and kick some giant ass, revenge is a ****.

Very bold man. 6-0 Would be ****ing AWESOME. Can you believe having an 11-5 season? As for blowing out Tampa....I don't know man, they have a very good defense that nobody is talking about.

IT's been so obvious like an X on a wall but i couldn't see it and neither could the Redskins for several years. Stablity at QB.

You didn't know that already? It's kind of common knowledge.

It's not like that is such an easy thing to acquire though. When was the last time we had a good QB in Washington for an extended period of time? Theismann?

You beat me to it SkinsPR. Unfortunately, our F.O. seems to have not figured this out until Gibbs return and the subsequent Scott Brunell debacle.

However no matter how obvious it may be, it's still a feat easier said than done. It's sort of like saying "basketball is a simple game, all you have to do is put the ball in the basket more than the opponent." As always, the devil's in the details.

You know, when the Skins won their three Super Bowls, did any of those teams truly have a superstar QB ala Manning, Brady, Montana, Elway? Not really...Theismann was good but not on that level, Williams was in the right place at the right time and took full advantage, and Rypien, like Theismann, was good but not a superstar.

I believe, and will always continue to believe, that sustained success comes from having great line play. Five great linemen will make any QB look great when he has all day to throw, and receivers get open eventually with that kind of time. An average running back becomes very serviceable when the line is opening huge holes. Look what happened to Shaun Alexander when Steve Hutchinson left, and how Minnesota's running backs are suddenly doing.

Our SB teams were built on the Hogs, and Mann/Manley. And no, I'm not forgetting the posse, but their numbers aren't the same if the QB is on his ass all the time.

Build the lines, and then fill in the skill positions. And get a linebacker from PSU.

You didn't know that already? It's kind of common knowledge.

It's not like that is such an easy thing to acquire though. When was the last time we had a good QB in Washington for an extended period of time? Theismann?

It's common knowledge? Then how come it took the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins this long? Manning a few years ago for Giants. Romo sits to pee and Campbell also a few years ago. REally this is the first time since the salary cap era that any of these teams seem to understand this concept of build the team around the QB. It may be that simple but no one in division (besides Eagles ) seemed to understand it. I think once the Eagles had sustained dominance in division then the writing was on the wall. Took awhile though. None of the FO's will ever admit but i bet you they were unaware that it had to be done this way.

You know, when the Skins won their three Super Bowls, did any of those teams truly have a superstar QB ala Manning, Brady, Montana, Elway? Not really...Theismann was good but not on that level, Williams was in the right place at the right time and took full advantage, and Rypien, like Theismann, was good but not a superstar.

I believe, and will always continue to believe, that sustained success comes from having great line play. Five great linemen will make any QB look great when he has all day to throw, and receivers get open eventually with that kind of time. An average running back becomes very serviceable when the line is opening huge holes. Look what happened to Shaun Alexander when Steve Hutchinson left, and how Minnesota's running backs are suddenly doing.

Our SB teams were built on the Hogs, and Mann/Manley. And no, I'm not forgetting the posse, but their numbers aren't the same if the QB is on his ass all the time.

Build the lines, and then fill in the skill positions. And get a linebacker from PSU.

totally agree with this, Brady rode the pine behind Brian Griese in college ... and look at him now. Build great lines, develop a somewhat athletically able QB into a smart, efficient QB.

The Ravens won it all with Dilfer, we can do it w/Campbell and Co. HTTR!

You need good lineman but that was a different era. You could stock each position with depth and now you can't. If you load your team up on depth at the line positions you will salary cap explode in this nfl. This is why the QB becomes so important. If you have an elite QB you can consistently win despite all the changes around the team. Allocate and stretch the money around the QB and interchange the rest of the team. I agree you need good lineman on both sides but you can't build depth like pre salary cap era because you will burst the salary cap bubble. Therefore the QB is the permanent building block and everything else is mix and match.

You beat me to it SkinsPR. Unfortunately, our F.O. seems to have not figured this out until Gibbs return and the subsequent Scott Brunell debacle.

However no matter how obvious it may be, it's still a feat easier said than done. It's sort of like saying "basketball is a simple game, all you have to do is put the ball in the basket more than the opponent." As always, the devil's in the details.

I don't know maybe Gibbs hasn't been given enough credit. He's made more good moves than bad since he returned. He was also responsible for cleaning up years of Redskins messes and disasters. Maybe they are now finally starting to see the benefits from his stamp on the team. Maybe he knew right from the get go that a franchise QB had to be drafted but we all know it takes more than one year for a solid QB to develop.

For the last couple of games, even though we have a makeshift line right now, we are doing better in blocking and protecting the LOS so JC can have time to think. The line only allowed 1 sack yesterday and I think they allowed 2 last week, so at least JC isn't looking up to the sky a lot. But we did figure it out. We should make a run and 6-0 isn't un-realistic :applause:

Ridiculously bold predication. I don't know where people get their optimism from. Obviously you have to feel good about the way Campbell played and we stood a chance to win that game but for our depleted defense. I want to see this team play with some consistency, not make stupid penalties, and execute. It starts with 1 win which is no guarantee.

As for the poster's original premise about QB, no doubt QB is the most important position in football. Gibbs and everyone knows this. Unfortunately I think Gibbs had false confidence in the capabilities of Brunell which really hampered Gibbs return for the first 3 seasons to a large degree (the 05 season being somewhat of an exception although we could have gone deeper in the playoffs if we had gotten some better play from Brunell).

Having said that about the QB, having player depth is the 2nd most important item after QB in my book. You have to have this, as we have seen, to stave off the injuries that will come. This is an area where the Skins under Snyder falls short. We don't draft young talent well and we squander too much to get has beens. This has changed somewhat under Gibbs but we are still along way from using the draft effectively to get depth and really developing young talent.

If Jason Campbell gets a Grade C scheme to work with, and a Grade C supporting cast, offense and defense, we will have a stable, Grade C quarterback.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that his performance has picked up in the past two weeks? He has thrown most of his passes from the Shotgun formation. The Skins have been in the Shotgun 53 of 116 plays (40%) on offense in the past two weeks.

Football isn't rocket science, but it can't be simplified to "all we need is stability at QB."

I have to say I think 6-0 is beyond us, only due to the fact the guys would be running a high tempo offense every week and that's gonna catch up with you in the end. I can see us taking 4 or 5 though and given the mediocre standard in some other divisions we'll probably sneak into the playoffs.

Tell you what is exciting though is that we are seeing a young talent emerge before our very eyes, yes JC had a fantastic game and you could argue it was down to the hype of playing against Dullass which made him turn it on. BUT given his week on week improvement so far this season (and as he improves those around him seem to be stepping it up too) I think we will be in very good shape next year, I can see the NFC East becoming very interesting again... :cool:

Archived