Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor (researched)

Retire 21

Not saying I'm disagreeing, but some counterpoints:

1. Taylor did that since he was a rookie. Roy Williams is supposed to be in his prime.

2. I could've sworn Taylor had two TDs in 2005.

He did have 2 fumble returns for TD's against philly and the bucs. That poster is a moron.

If you say Taylor cannot cover you are incapable of actually understanding football at the safety position. I get so sick of people spewing the same crap they hear in the media and stats without actually watching the man play.

Last year we were a mess. We pretty much had to ask ST to play FS and SS. He had to cover and shore up the front seven at the same time, and it hurt him as a player. Last year was a rough for him in coverage, and he was still by far the best player on our D.

Every other year he's been here and we've let him play FS he has proven to be indispensable in coverage. Actually watch ST sometime. He covers a lot of ground, makes up for a lot of mistakes and creates a lot of plays.

RW is a good SS who hits as well as anyone. However, he can't be great while he is proven to a liability in coverage even against TEs and RBs. I've SEEN it year after year. Not just stats and numbers, but PLAYS.

'Boys fans have seen Williams play way more than I have, so maybe I'm wrong. Argue that if you like. But don't tell me crap about one of our players is bad in coverage with stats and no real experience watching the man play.

Stats from NFL.com

In 55 games (3.5 years), Sean Taylor has 238 solo tackles, 61 assists, 2 sacks, 34 passes defensed, 12 INTs, and 8 forced fumbles with one recovered for a TD. (Sorry guys it's true, he only has one regular season TD :()

In 89 games (5.5 years) Roy Williams has 378 tackles (350 by horsecollar :D), 83 assists, 6.5 sacks, 36 passes defensed, 19 INTs with 3 returned for TD's, and 0 forced fumbles.

They have similar numbers but there is one glaring difference. Sean Taylor nearly accomplished what Roy Williams accomplished in almost 2/3 of the time. Give Sean a year and a half and he will surpass Williams in every category, including TD's. I can see how the comparison can be made if you don't take into account that Williams has been playing longer (more games), but then it isn't a true comparison.

So big friggin deal, RW has 3 TD's to Sean's 1 - given another 30 games I bet he gets more.

Stats from NFL.com

In 55 games (3.5 years), Sean Taylor has 238 solo tackles, 61 assists, 2 sacks, 34 passes defensed, 12 INTs, and 8 forced fumbles with one recovered for a TD. (Sorry guys it's true, he only has one regular season TD :()

In 89 games (5.5 years) Roy Williams has 378 tackles (350 by horsecollar :D), 83 assists, 6.5 sacks, 36 passes defensed, 19 INTs with 3 returned for TD's, and 0 forced fumbles.

They have similar numbers but there is one glaring difference. Sean Taylor nearly accomplished what Roy Williams accomplished in almost 2/3 of the time. Give Sean a year and a half and he will surpass Williams in every category, including TD's. I can see how the comparison can be made if you don't take into account that Williams has been playing longer (more games), but then it isn't a true comparison.

So big friggin deal, RW has 3 TD's to Sean's 1 - given another 30 games I bet he gets more.

Sean Taylor is better than Roy Williams this is common knowlege even amongst the likes of all analyzers and comentators. Roy Williams has always been over rated until he decided to help cover Santana Moss. Even Brandon Lloyd torched him for one when he was with the 49ers

Did you notice that the dopey Cowpie fan only compared Williams last 3 years to Sean Taylors first 3 years? Not a true comparison at all but I guess good enough to try and validate whatever point he doesn't have.

Sean Taylor has got to be one of the, if not THE best safeties in the league today.

Watched those You Tube clips, and I don’t think I've ever seen a player as adept at slamming opposing player’s heads to the ground as Sean Taylor is, and the amazing thing is that he makes it look incidental. How can someone going full speed have the wherewithal to go for the knock-out with a last minute head slam?

Just amazing.

Why does everyone think Taylor is so great? His career stats (since 2004) are basically the same as roy williams.

Since 2004:

Tackles:

Williams - 290

Taylor - 299

Advantage: Push

Solo tackles:

Williams - 235

Taylor - 238

Sacks:

Williams - 2.5

Taylor - 2

Pass Defensed:

Williams - 27

Taylor - 34

Advantage: Taylor (Barely)

Interceptions:

Williams - 12

Taylor - 12

Touchdowns:

Williams - 3

Taylor - 0

Advantage: Williams

These guys are the same players! The hit like a ton of bricks and are average in coverage. I know redskin fans think Taylor is so awesome because he has 5 picks this year. Williams has done that twice, last year and his rookie year.

Taylor was not the deciding factor in this defense. He is a run supporting safety just like williams.

Roy williams blows in coverage. He should go play linebacker because he does possess adequate tackling skills

To the Cowboys fan comparing Taylor to Roy Williams because they have similar stats I want to say this:

It is laughable comparing the two. Taylor is better in every facet in the game. When it's all said and done Williams is going to be remembered for directly getting the "horse collar rule" initiated and Taylor is going to be remembered for his bust in Ohio and for his ability to take over games as a safety. Sorry, pal. There is a difference. A big one.

NUmbers don't lie. Sorry Pal

This is the funniest thing I have seen. I have family memebers that are die-hard Cowboys fans that would take Taylor over Williams in minute. Roy Williams is a one dimensional safety who is overated. Sean Taylor does everything and completly shuts down the big play. Don't ever compare the two, you make yourslef look stupid.

Have you not seen Taylor get beateb deep? Really? You haven't seen him not wrap up or whiff tackles? I love the homerism but actually watch the man instead of the highlight reels.

To Cincy: you are ignorant. I disregarded your whole post because you can't do your research. Taylor had game-winning touchdowns (off of fumble recoveries) in the last regular season game of 2005 against the Eagles as well as in the Wild-Card playoff game that season against the Bucs.

Consider that ST was leading the league in interceptions a game before he got injured, and your analysis is poor at best. Also consider that ST is a coverage safety and still has more tackles than Williams. The truth hurts, doesn't it?

Ken Hamlin is second in INT. Do you now consider him a "cover " safety? Williams twice has had 5 int. Point is I am not saying williams is a great safety, I just think it is funny that the same stuff you bash williams about can be said about taylor.

Have you not seen Taylor get beateb deep? Really? You haven't seen him not wrap up or whiff tackles? I love the homerism but actually watch the man instead of the highlight reels.

Yeah I've seen it. Moreso last year then this year tho. And listen to interviews....theres your proof. More receivers fear Taylor then Horsecollar Williams. All he can do is tackle you illegal and potentially break your leg off a cheap shot. Whereas Taylor will make you forget your name, where you live and give you the severe case of the dropsies ;).

Your homerism must have blinded you. Face it...this would have been a different game had Taylor been there...and will be when we meet again.

Not saying I'm disagreeing, but some counterpoints:

1. Taylor did that since he was a rookie. Roy Williams is supposed to be in his prime.

2. I could've sworn Taylor had two TDs in 2005.

I didn't include roy's first 2 years because it would only help my case. He has....5 int his rookie year!! who else has 5 magical int?? I guess they are totally different.

Did you notice that the dopey Cowpie fan only compared Williams last 3 years to Sean Taylors first 3 years? Not a true comparison at all but I guess good enough to try and validate whatever point he doesn't have.

Sean Taylor has got to be one of the, if not THE best safeties in the league today.

Should we compare their first 3 years together? It would only help my point

Why does everyone think Taylor is so great? His career stats (since 2004) are basically the same as roy williams.

Since 2004:

Tackles:

Williams - 290

Taylor - 299

Solo tackles:

Williams - 235

Taylor - 238

Sacks:

Williams - 2.5

Taylor - 2

Pass Defensed:

Williams - 27

Taylor - 34

Advantage: Taylor (Barely)

Interceptions:

Williams - 12

Taylor - 12

Touchdowns:

Williams - 3

Taylor - 0

Advantage: Williams

These guys are the same players! The hit like a ton of bricks and are average in coverage. I know redskin fans think Taylor is so awesome because he has 5 picks this year. Williams has done that twice, last year and his rookie year.

Taylor was not the deciding factor in this defense. He is a run supporting safety just like williams.

Taylor also played 4 less games and sadly the Redskins lost all four. That's how important Taylor is to our team.

Should we compare their first 3 years together? It would only help my point

So then you would be saying that Williams is on the decline with his best years behind him?

Here let me do it for you.

Sean Taylor first 3 years (not this season):

46 games, 206 solo tackles, 51 assists, 2 sacks, 25 passes defensed, 7 INT's

Roy Williams first 3 years

48 games, 216 tackles, 49 assists, 4 sacks, 17 passes defensed, 9 INT's 2 TD's

Similar numbers, yes. Taylor's are still marginally better with the exception of the 2 TD's. Sean would have more sacks if they sent him more so really, the sack total is a non factor - a product of the play calling. He is better in pass coverage, regardless of INT's and even so he is just 2 behind Williams, AND he played in 2 fewer games. So you are right, the numbers don't lie. Sean hasn't even reached his peak yet, but since I guess you are saying that Williams has, and I will agree with you, especially since Sean's numbers have almost equalled Williams' numbers but in less time.

The pass defense is what you chose to call out on - the numbers are right there. Roy Williams, 5.5 years, 36 passes defensed, 19 INT's. Sean Taylor 3.5 years 34 passes defensed, 12 ints. But thanks for letting me prove my point. :D

Ken Hamlin is second in INT

Completely false. Hamlin is tied for fifth in the league.:doh:

Yes, Sean Taylor was beat deep last year. However this should be expected when a player is asked to play FS, SS, and LB all at the same time. This year Sean Taylor hasn't been beat deep, it hasn't happened. Yes, he used to miss tackles going for the big hit, have I seen him do it this year, maybe two missed tackles all year. All of us actually watch the games as well as the highlight reels, do you?

Archived