Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

19.5M over the cap next year? (Merged)

SmootDawg21

It's not true, he said the Skins would be way over the cap for this year as well.

As said before, this is always being threatened and it never happens. "Cap Hell" was supposed to happen by now. King is just trying to scare us.

The man hates the Redskins, so he does this crap every year; take his B.S. with a grain of salt.

1. The cap is set for next year. The figure will be $109 million dollars. It will not be moving from that. This number is known. There is no reason to think he didn't use that number when coming up w/ his $19 million.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

2. As others have state, cutting Lloyd will not be a cap savings.

3. I love how people can just write that somebody is essentially lying when it his job to know this information and not bother to give any evidence to back up their claim.

1. The cap is set for next year. The figure will be $109 million dollars. It will not be moving from that. This number is known. There is no reason to think he didn't use that number when coming up w/ his $19 million.

3. I love how people can just write that somebody is essentially lying when it his job to know this information and not bother to give any evidence to back up their claim.

They said he was lying because:

Moss, Jansen and Portis restructured this year and will only count the minimum against the cap. So after Springs leaves, we should be closer to even. Plus next year's 7 mil boost

Moreover, you are incorrect about the Cap being 109 mil next year. It is officially 116 million per the CBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2689784

With those numbers we should be close to 14mil under give or take 6-7 mil on dead money we can't calculate right now. IMHO

You're right dude. I don't even know how we will field a 53 man roster next year. We are so screwed. SO screwed. Maybe we can get guys to play both ways and get under the cap that way? That seems like the only way I can think of...geez, what will we do? I mean the salary cap...there's no beating that. Screwed.

:laugh:

They said he was lying because:

Moss, Jansen and Portis restructured this year and will only count the minimum against the cap. So after Springs leaves, we should be closer to even. Plus next year's 7 mil boost

Moreover, you are incorrect about the Cap being 109 mil next year. It is officially 116 million per the CBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2689784

With those numbers we should be close to 14mil under give or take 6-7 mil on dead money we can't calculate right now. IMHO

Okay better number from your link, but Springs in on the cap for over 7 mil so if I make the point that the Redskins are going to be well over the cap, then I am right. Clearly, they will correct that and one thing is Springs will be have to go or have to take a pay cut, but that then does affect the team as we will have lost a starting CB.

You're right dude. I don't even know how we will field a 53 man roster next year. We are so screwed. SO screwed. Maybe we can get guys to play both ways and get under the cap that way? That seems like the only way I can think of...geez, what will we do? I mean the salary cap...there's no beating that. Screwed.

:laugh:

There is in between position. Most things aren't that dramatic. Maybe through cutting players (e.g. Springs), restructuring contracts (which helps ensure that in the future years essentially the same thing is true), and not being active in FA we will make it under the cap, we will return pretty much the same roster, and be an average team again that has an outside shot of making the playoffs.

Okay better number from your link, but Springs in on the cap for over 7 mil so if I make the point that the Redskins are going to be well over the cap, then I am right. Clearly, they will correct that and one thing is Springs will be have to go or have to take a pay cut, but that then does affect the team as we will have lost a starting CB.

Very true. If we bring in anyone decent it will cost us a ton thanks to Nate Clements setting a terrible mark. We certainly better get a deal done before Antonio Cromartie decides he is done playing for his rookie contract in SD! That kid may kill the cap for the entire league. :doh:

didnt read the whole thread but yes its true.

however, that number does not include UTBE's and people that will be cut - second that number includes some money from Adam Archuleta, but that is money he wont earn, thus he wont actually count against the cap.

EDIT: second, Jansen, Portis, Moss and Brunell's new restructured contracts are not fully public yet (or something like that, I'm not sure, but their new number is not represented in the 19.5 mil number)

Very true. If we bring in anyone decent it will cost us a ton thanks to Nate Clements setting a terrible mark. We certainly better get a deal done before Antonio Cromartie decides he is done playing for his rookie contract in SD! That kid may kill the cap for the entire league. :doh:

My guess is that if Sprigs can get a big contract else where it will be Smoot and Rogers new year, and they'll draft somebody or sign anoter back up level person.

IMO, that makes the team worse (if Springs is healthy he is still the best CB on the team) and I'd guess is that was his point. A big time coaching prospect, w/ multiple offers, is going to look at the job and say, 'Well, I don't think that it has a high quality roster and due to the cap situation, you'd have to gut the team over at least two seasons and maybe three seasons before you start to build it up again.'

My guess is that if Sprigs can get a big contract else where it will be Smoot and Rogers new year, and they'll draft somebody or sign anoter back up level person.

IMO, that makes the team worse (if Springs is healthy he is still the best CB on the team) and I'd guess is that was his point. A big time coaching prospect, w/ multiple offers, is going to look at the job and say, 'Well, I don't think that it has a high quality roster and due to the cap situation, you'd have to gut the team over at least two seasons and maybe three seasons before you start to build it up again.'

Yeah its a tough situation. Honestly, I think signing Smoot to a long term deal was a poor choice. A 1 year deal or a 1-1 split would have made more sense. He was drawing jack on the free market. With a one year or split, we could have gone after D Hall next year or made some other moves. Assuming we coud get the cap together. I think Moss, Portis and Fletcher could have helped keep D. Hall in line. Plus, He respected Mora because of his track record as a DC. Gregg could have pulled it off as well. Water under the bridge though.

Ahh refreshing. Two fans having a reasonable discussion. :applause:

I really hope we keep Springs one more year, we really can't afford not too. Drafting a rookie CB and having Rogers (who would be coming off an ACL injury) and Smoot (who gets burned alot) as our starting CB's is not something that I really wanna deal with...

I'm going to say this as a professional in the field of physical rehabilitation:

ACL injuries can be overcome with great success. Look at Antonio Cromartie. He tore his ACL, LCL and Biceps Femoris (hamstring) tendon 6 mths before the combine. Willis Mcgahee, Ed Reed, Carson Palmer...Enough said.

Since the cap began, we have always always been projected to go way over and we never do. If there's anything our FO does right, it's managing the budget. Stop beleiving everything some idiot on the radio tells you.

Next year is our cap end. We are paying the piper next year.

It's not even funny.

Our cap fun has ended. Just look at the players numbers.

it's only that if you are losing :laugh:

Baltimore and Tampa renegotiated contracts to get their teams under the cap, but they both won Super Bowls during those seasons so all was forgiven.

If those teams had not won they would have been criticized for overspending.

the thing is they did it once or twice then was able to get their mess straightened out Tenneessee did it also kept gambling and finally took their hit for about three seasons now they are in fairly good cap shape

I really hope we keep Springs one more year, we really can't afford not too. Drafting a rookie CB and having Rogers (who would be coming off an ACL injury) and Smoot (who gets burned alot) as our starting CB's is not something that I really wanna deal with...

I agree.

Unfortunately Rogers is unlikely to ever be the same again and it is probably a career ending injury for a CB.

Sad since he was starting to really turn it on.

Since the cap began, we have always always been projected to go way over and we never do. If there's anything our FO does right, it's managing the budget. Stop beleiving everything some idiot on the radio tells you.

It is almost every year we are over and about 4 times since snyder took over we have been 10 plus million over with only 30 some players signed which is why we have not had good depth we sacrifice depth for the cap

As long as the salary cap continues to increase every year, we'll be fine since all we are doing is pushing salaries to next few years gambling that there will be more room to absorb the hit. If the cap every grinds to a halt, we are majorly screwed.

Next year is our cap end. We are paying the piper next year.

It's not even funny.

Our cap fun has ended. Just look at the players numbers.

Did you not read a thing I said?

didnt read the whole thread but yes its true.

however, that number does not include UTBE's and people that will be cut - second that number includes some money from Adam Archuleta, but that is money he wont earn, thus he wont actually count against the cap.

EDIT: second, Jansen, Portis, Moss and Brunell's new restructured contracts are not fully public yet (or something like that, I'm not sure, but their new number is not represented in the 19.5 mil number)

I keep getting server errors when I attempt to search the forum - so if this has already been posted, my apologies.

Did anyone else hear Peter King on Sirius NFL Radio this morning say that the 'Skins are the only team over the cap next year - and we are over by 19.5M?

He felt that our salary cap situation would be an obstacle to bringing in a new head coach if Gibbs were to step down.

But they don't need a GM. Vinny and the guys over there have a plan and know what they're doing. This team is so ***** up.

Archived