Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about Rob Johnson?

Thinking Skins

I've never been a big fan of Johnsons. He really reminds me of Gus, which may be my own bias. After posting here and thoroughly bashing Johnson, I looked at his career stats:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/3182/

At least stat-wise, he appears to have been pretty effective, good completion percentages and more TD's than INTs, although not a real durable guy. I'd still rather have Shaun King but Johnson might be worth a look. Anyone done a lot of 'Johnson-watching' (sorry, bad choice of words) over the past couple of years?

The Guy Surfs, which is too cool.

I think that Johnson just needs a coach like Steve to develop into an awesome QB. If you all land him I think it will be great. He has a great arm he just needs to get his killer instincts activated. Man that would be sweet to see him turn into a Redskin.

The problem with Rob Johnson isn't his passing, it's that he's the most easily sacked quarterback since they started keeping sack stats. No one has ever gotten dropped on a higher percentage of their dropbacks.

People that wanted to see him succeed were hoping Gruden could get him to get rid of the ball quicker, but it didn't happen. He got sacked 19 times while only attempting 88 passes this year.

We will have to concentrate on our O-line if we plan on signing Johnson. He needs a damn wall to avoid getting sacked.

Off topic, did anybody catch the '91 Miami/FSU game on ESPN Classic today? I thought it was cool to see Jessie Armstead whuppin some as$ and Brad Johnson standing on the sideline behind a surprisingly youthful Bobby Bowden. :)

Pass on Johnson. Danny Wuerffel is better and already in the saddle--for now anyway. The Skins may do what they did in the last draft, trade down and stockpile picks, so a young QB in the later rounds is not out of the question.

Johnson is one of the largest busts in recent history.

Buffalo paid a fortune to get him and then sign him and he delivered ZERO on the field.

this year Johnson came in to TB with a chance to be the starting qb for the Bucs and fell flat on his face, losing the starting job to Brad Johnson, who Gruden was not sold on when he first took the Bucs job.

Johnson is a guy like Jeff George whose physical attributes, ability to throw nice balls in practice and in his case move around get everyone all excited about his prospects.

The problem is he is not a baller. When the real game starts, this guy just doesn't have the ability to handle the speed of the pro game.

He freezes and ends up being sacked more than any other qb in the NFL, based on passes attempted.

Well I'd take him over Wuerffel. But that's not saying much. I much rather sign Shaun King to be the backup or someone else.

I disagree. Wuerffel may have a limper arm than even Brad Johnson and he's not the most durable guy in the world, but at the very least he can and will throw the ball away to avoid a sack (when he can at least). Rob Johnson holds the ball waaaaaay toooooooo loooooonngggg and takes a bunch of sacks as a result. I remember hearing reports that some NFL GM (I don't remember which one) felt that Johnson just isn't "wired right" for football.

In short, Johnson sucks. I'd rather see us keep Wuerffel who at least knows the offense already and will throw the ball away when he can and draft a promising QB in a deep QB year as our third stringer.

Rob Johnso not only has a bad habit of getting sacked a lot, but he gets hurt when he gets sacked, too.

At one point during his last year in Buffalo he had been knocked out of 8 of the 18 games he had started ... and then he got knocked out for the season (or at least much of it) the very same day I saw that stat.

No thanks.

Archived