Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think y'all are crazy for wanting to park at the stadium!

Tat2dluvchylde

I take amtrak from NJ to New Carrolton,hop on the Metro to Landover, and take the shuttle to the game. Even when I spend the night at my parents it only takes us 30 minutes tops to get home to Kensington. When all is said and done, no stress from stadium traffic getting in or out and no rip off for parking. The only thing I don't get to do is have a tailgate.

I take amtrak from NJ to New Carrolton,hop on the Metro to Landover, and take the shuttle to the game. Even when I spend the night at my parents it only takes us 30 minutes tops to get home to Kensington. When all is said and done, no stress from stadium traffic getting in or out and no rip off for parking. The only thing I don't get to do is have a tailgate.

So whats your point??? The tailgate is as good or even better than the game itself.

I don't want to crash a thread, but which is the the best way to take Metro in? I'm starting at Vienna taking the orange. Last time I took the blue and walked to the stadium. It wasn't a bad walk, but don't know if it quicker/better to take the buses from Landover and pay the $6. Thanks.

Matt

I don't want to crash a thread, but which is the the best way to take Metro in? I'm starting at Vienna taking the orange. Last time I took the blue and walked to the stadium. It wasn't a bad walk, but don't know if it quicker/better to take the buses from Landover and pay the $6. Thanks.

Matt

If you take the blue to Morgan Blvd and walk that's definitely the best route IMO. The busses are usually very very crowded after the game, plus you have to pay the additional 6 dollars.

The ONLY thing you don't get to do is tailgate?? That's like saying the only part of the game you won't get to watch is 4th quarter. As noted above, in the opinion of a lot of people on this board, the tailgate is one of the best parts of the day. Just look at the Eagles game tailgate thread pinned in the tailgate forum on this board to see what I mean about it being so awesome.

It's really a matter of personal preference ... you seem to be in a much better position to use public transportation than a majority of other fans.

Many season ticket holders live far enough south on the I-95 pipeline that they have to drive a distance just to get to the closest Metro stop. At that point, you might as well complete the drive ... (it's roughly 24-25 miles from the Springfield Mixing Bowl, the southern most Metro station, to Arena Drive).

Me personally, I definitely want to tailgate which is why I prefer to drive. I have relatively few problems because I get there very early and stay for another two hours after the game is over, during which the grill comes out and the TV is on for late games.

I've found that making an all day event of it works best but I'm also local to the area. You noted that you come down from New Jersey so you may not as much time to spend at the stadium which makes the transit system a better bet for you.

Again, my personal opinion of tailgating at a football game: it's as American as Mom and apple pie ... (sorry for the cliche but it's what came to mind). If you've never tailgated at FedEx, you are missing out on a good portion of the Game Day experience. I'm sure the ES Tailgate would welcome you to their event, if you're interested ...

cheers

I take Amtrak most games too! It's great..I don't drink and drive at all so its perfect for us. We usually have who ever we are tailgating with pick us up at the Landover station.

This week have a ride and have to leave Baltimore around 8am -- sleepy sleepy

Not sure if Metro would let me bring 5 30 packs on the train:laugh:

I've seen people smuggle in beer on the Metro before, but 6 cases would be too much. Of course, it's good to bring enough beer with you for the walk from the Metro to the stadium. You can down a 6 pack easy in that walk.

Wah wah wah,the point is all of the people scrambling around for a jacked up parking pass? **** that. And to have to walk a bit or get on that shuttle? nope not for me.So while the tailgate is always good for some of you, there maybe fans who aren't into your "scene."

Umm, who the **** cares what you think? Honestly. What was the point of this thread? Do you need attention? Obviously there is a large number of people that WANT to park in the lots. Why do you care?

I live forty minutes from the stadium and it's a fourteen hour day for me.

Actually twelve, sometimes I lie a little :-)

I hear 'ya, dude ... I can get to FedEx in 45 minutes when we have an early afternoon kickoff; not much traffic on the Suicide Circle at 0800. Once the day gets going, though, it's closer to an hour.

Either way, it's a 12-13 hour day for me ... it all depends on whether we finish watching the late games in the parking lot.

cheers

Dude, the whole point is to make a day of it. You get there early, and I mean EARLY, tailgate, eat, drink, meet people. It's a friggin' blast. I've done the shuttle thing once or twice and have vowed to never do it again. It's a nightmare. The only thing missing from the shuttle is a rancher branding your *** with a hot iron. Total cattle call.

Umm, who the **** cares what you think? Honestly. What was the point of this thread? Do you need attention? Obviously there is a large number of people that WANT to park in the lots. Why do you care?

Nah man no attention needed here.And no need to be a douche bag either.If you were reading you would see that I was not bashing the tailgate. All I said was it may not be for some people. My point, which most people including you did not get was that the "precious golden ticket" known as the parking pass is a big waste of ca$h due to the ridiculous prices charged by scalpers. Before I was a season ticket holder I bought seats from people on the board who sold for face or less. Now tell me how many people will sell the parking pass for the same deal? I have not spoken to many who would.Ocassionally you will get lucky.I used to drive down to 4 games a year and I don't know about anyone else but sitting in a parking lot riding a clutch ain't fun to me. So while I cough up alot of coin to hop on the Amtrak for 2 hours. I would rather take the train than drive 4 hours or have to deal with stadium traffic.

Nah man no attention needed here.And no need to be a douche bag either.If you were reading you would see that I was not bashing the tailgate. All I said was it may not be for some people. My point, which most people including you did not get was that the "precious golden ticket" known as the parking pass is a big waste of ca$h due to the ridiculous prices charged by scalpers. Before I was a season ticket holder I bought seats from people on the board who sold for face or less. Now tell me how many people will sell the parking pass for the same deal? I have not spoken to many who would.Ocassionally you will get lucky.I used to drive down to 4 games a year and I don't know about anyone else but sitting in a parking lot riding a clutch ain't fun to me. So while I cough up alot of coin to hop on the Amtrak for 2 hours. I would rather take the train than drive 4 hours or have to deal with stadium traffic.

I take it that you go to the games by yourself. You might have a point then, because buying a parking pass and tailgating alone doesn't seem like too much fun. I will have to agree with you that the only part I dread is the traffic jam getting out of there.

I take it that you go to the games by yourself. You might have a point then, because buying a parking pass and tailgating alone doesn't seem like too much fun. I will have to agree with you that the only part I dread is the traffic jam getting out of there.

That's why I like the Metro. It's usually 2 or 4 of us and we don't tailgate, so the Metro just makes sense. IT's better than the cash lot, IMO, considering it takes a while just to get on a shuttle bus and then ride back to the lot. THen you have to deal with the nutbars getting out of the lots and then on the Beltway. With Metro, you can just hop on with other happy (or depressed) fans, ride back and get ahead of some of the traffic by the time you get back to, in my case, Springfield. And that's not even considering the cost savings.

It is still a 10-12 hour day, considering we leave Richmond around 9AM and don't get home until 7:30 or so. It's cool listening to the callers on the post-game show with Jacoby and that other dude. They'll either find fault in a win or commit suicide on the radio in a loss.

Here's what I do:

Wake up 5 AM.

Get my **** together, load the truck. Leave by 6:45.

Run by Safeway, grab ice and maybe a last minute item.

Arrive at stadium by 7:30 - 7:45 AM with my green pass. I'm either first or second or third in line. There is NO GAME TRAFFIC whatsoever, or any other traffic. It's a free ride. If it's a division game, there's usually a few opposing fans there lined up before me.

Make my first vodka grapefruit drink of the day (PG police are around, but they pretend not to see) , hoist my flags. Give the opposing fans the finger (kidding).

Hang out. Set up a couple chairs. Talk **** with the regulars. Read the sports page. Make a second drink. This sort of like a mini-tailgate. Sometimes somebody puts food out.

8:50 AM - take my flags down.

Lot opens at 9 or sometimes a little earlier. Cruise down Redskins Rd and through the lots at about 75 mph. Grab my spot.

Tailgate 9 - 12:15.

12:15 PM, Break camp. Enter stadium about a quarter to 1 or so lower level through right side of Gate D (seems less crowded than others) or 12:30 upper level via escalator.

In my seat before 1 PM in time for the Star Spangled Banner. Hats off.

Game.

Leave stadium. Back to the truck. Light Weber, cook burgers and brats. Drink a couple Red bulls and relax. Keep an eye on the brakelights as they funnel up Brightseat.

When the brake lights thin out (usually an hour to an hour and a half after the game), say goodbye to the other regulars and leave. Listen to sports talk. Traffic on the beltway is usually heavy but it's moving. Takes me about an hour to get home.

Home by 6:30 or 7 PM. Watch the end of an important 4 PM game as necessary.

Been doing this thing this way for every game since Sept 14th, 1997. I never vary, I'm never sorry, and I'll never change.

Recommended.

Been doing this thing this way for every game since Sept 14th, 1997. I never vary, I'm never sorry, and I'll never change.

Recommended.

I agree ... you find what works and stick with it; you eventually develop a rhythm.

I'm leave as late as possible in the morning ... (only because I'm not an early morning person :D) ... in order to arrive when the lots are just opening at 0900.

Tear down time depends on where I'm parked but the timing usually works out well.

Afterwards, everything goes back up and we're there for another two hours watching the late games.

Like you, it's a 12 to 13 hour day ... and I wouldn't want it any other way.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: :eaglesuck

Mark, sounds like you would be thrown into a panic if something throws you off your scheduled like misplacing a ticket or locking your keys in the truck. Done both and its not fun when your the only person in the parking lot hearing the cheers of the crowd. Coming from PA, I add another couple hours on each end, unless I spend the night.

Archived