Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason To Be Optomistic

Skins4Life28

I'm driving to work today and I get a call from a friend who roots for the pukes. He's more of a business associate who I mainly hear from only when the Cowboys & Redskins games are close.

Anyway, we start talking about the game and how it looks like it's going to be a matchup of two powerhouse NFC teams, at least from a record perspective.

I asked him why he thought the Cowboys were so good, when they've been mediocre for so long. And I also asked him if he thought this hot start was some sort of mirage, or if his team was for real.

His answer came fast: He said his team was for real, that they were loaded with talent, and that the reason they're so hot this year tied directly with the retirement of Bill Parcells and the implementation of a new, aggressive, regime.

After that call, I started to think about how that is all we need for us to really contend. If you think about it, the pukes were an annual 8-8/9-7 team under Parcells despite all the money skeletor spent on that roster.

I'd argue that, maybe not with depth, but talent wise we're pretty even with the pukes. I'd give them a strong edge at QB, WR, and DL. I'd give us a strong edge at Secondary, LB, RB.

Is it possible that all our team really needs to contend* is a new coach?

In order to appreciate this thread, you need to be a Redskins fan - not a blind Joe Gibbs fan. I, like everyone else, am appreciative of everything Joe Gibbs did for this team from 1981-1992. Unfortunately, that was a different NFL, as well as a different Gibbs.

*Yes, I realize we're contending right now with a 5-3 record, but I don't think we're near as good as our record indicates.

Your on point there. The problem is Gibbs doesn't understand or is out of touch with todays NFL. We have all this speed but yet he wants a smashmouth football team, that to me makes no sense right there. I mean why have all these 4.3 players at the skill positions if you want to play smashmouth football, my thinking is with what Gibbs wants to do we need Sellers to start at tailback, we should have kept Duckett as well and had those two in the backfield, I am still hesitant with Betts, he fumbles and runs and hurts the offensive lineman too much for me. We also need big physical wide outs not the short fast ones we have now. Again to me Gibbs doesn't know what he wants he gets smaller fast running backs in here and wide outs but then wants to pound the ball. I mean does that really make any sense what so ever?

Remember guys wade is first a defensive minded coach and Jerry Jones got him because of the defense. The big change was to the young offensive Coordinator calling aggressive calls.
This is a good point. The Cowboys "revamped" D really isn't much better than last year. Their O is rolling. You stop the offense, the Boys will crumble.

The Cowboys are good because Tony Romo sits to pee is unstoppable and Jason Campbell is inaccuate and can't find the open receiver. BIG difference.

Bills game tony Romo sits to pee had 5 or 6 turnovers agains the bill's D.

Are you sure Romo sits to pee is the best:doh:

My best friend that I grew up with and have known for 14 years is a Cowboys fan and he said the same exact thing.

Almost word-for-word.

He said that Parcells' conservative, old-school style of football held their team back for a long time and kept them mediocre and that he's happy as hell that Wade is aggressive and willing to open things up and take risks because they're true contenders now.

I can't wait until our FO or Danny or someone sees this and gets us someone willing to take chances.

These are all Parcells players, he built them, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett are reaping the rewards, neither one of them has done ANYTHING ON THERE OWN. When the pressure is on against a good team and everything is on the line these novices will fold like a lawn chair.

I have to admit that I have recently begun to rethink Gibbs II. I actually can recall the very moment I did it. It was when we called a draw in the Cardinals game late in the 4th quarter on 3rd & long, when we were trying to close out the game. Up until that point I had looked past all of the red flags. For whatever reason, that play "broke the camels' back" with me. Since then, I am of the mind that Gibbs II should come to and end soon (not mid-season). Some good things happened the last 4 years, and some bad things. I think we have the coordinators and most of the talent in place to be a great team. To get over the hump though, I think we need to become more aggressive, less predictable, & more innovative offensively. The only thing preventing that is one Joe Gibbs. For him to look at the Jets game and say, "That's what I envisioned this to be." (or something to that effect) was absolutely outrageous.

To the Gibbs-Man-Love crowd..........

It's been 4 years, people! What MORE do you need to see?? Having a desire for Gibbs II to end DOES NOT reflect what so ever on our feelings about Gibbs I. They must be treated as 2 separate and different events with different identities and results.

I have to admit that I have recently begun to rethink Gibbs II. I actually can recall the very moment I did it. It was when we called a draw in the Cardinals game late in the 4th quarter on 3rd & long, when we were trying to close out the game. Up until that point I had looked past all of the red flags. For whatever reason, that play "broke the camels' back" with me. Since then, I am of the mind that Gibbs II should come to and end soon (not mid-season). Some good things happened the last 4 years, and some bad things. I think we have the coordinators and most of the talent in place to be a great team. To get over the hump though, I think we need to become more aggressive, less predictable, & more innovative offensively. The only thing preventing that is one Joe Gibbs. For him to look at the Jets game and say, "That's what I envisioned this to be." (or something to that effect) was absolutely outrageous.

It's been 4 years, people! What MORE do you need to see?? Having a desire for Gibbs II to end DOES NOT reflect what so ever on our feelings about Gibbs I. They must be treated as 2 separate and different events with different identities and results.

Well said. :applause:

a new aggressive coach with the same D/O coordinators would do us a world of good. but were stuck with gibbs and his 1980s philosophies so we can only hope for the best until hes gone. im hoping its sooner than later.

agreed. All we need is a new HC. The other pieces are already in place. We've got 2 of the best O and D coordinators in the game. Throw a new coach thhat is up to speed with the present NFL and we'd be unstoppable. We have the talent, all we need is someone to let our players use that talent to its fullest.

Couldn't agree more with the HC coaching change, everyone else seems to have a grip on the new NFL. Our philosophy, (if you wanna call it that) is embarrassing. Run, run, run? We have tried this for three years under Gibbs and it hasn't produced at all. The definition of insanity is tryin the same action over and over and the outcome is the same unproductive result. Our HC seems to be insane over this "philosophy" its time for a new look at our offensive play calling or a new HC who is willing to call pass plays down the field and between the numbers!!!!!!!!!

:applause: I couldn't have said it better. All very true.

The problem with some of you people is you don't appreciate the "old school" style of football...The way the games used to be played,but is being fizzled out by this no huddle run&shoot or west coast passing attack...

Fact is...I'll take a team that plays physical and smashmouth anyday of week...Football is a man's sport with pain and punishment!Not this wussy..run out of bounds..don't hit me...let me run a bunch of 5 yard OUTs...

A team that plays with passion and pain and love is a much more dangerous team to face..This team is working for that goal...Give them time and when they reach their understanding of what they know they need to do...the Redskins will be the one dishing out the pounding!

They reached adversity...Yes they came back against a sucky Jets team...But that is a start!

Suisham is kicking game winners...We are learning how to win again!Ain't pretty...but it never is at the beginning!

Offensive line is starting to gell...NOT starting 5,but the whole damn unit!Maybe Portis's big game is the beginning of what he has figured out what he needs to do...

If so....Teams are in big trouble...If our Running game ever gets consistent and going like the jets game,Then You can't tell me my Thread is way off...!

If the WR's start to play...Then it's over!!Superbowl,here we come!!

Please don't underestimate a Gibbs team!!

What do you mean getting the ground game going? It was against the worst D in the league JETS. Before the Jets game our ypc was in the bottom of the league!! And if we have so much confidence in our run game, why not go for it on 4th and inches to get Suisham closer??? That was a tough kick! And let's see how smash mouth football does in this league (even against the worthless JETS) Run the ball from the five yardline in??? Hmmmm... 5 freakin FGS!! This is not a winning formula? Where do you get off criticizing us? How can you watch our games week in and week out and like what you see? Maybe the passing game will open up even more running lanes!

You guys certainly know your team better than I do...

having said that 2 things I would like to bring up...

1) Gibbs is not stupid, nor is he blind...there must be a reason for trying to do what he is doing...

which brings me to the second thing...

2) could it be that due to the oline's injuries that passing plays have to be limited...it would explain the no TD's to the Wr's or it might be that the oline just isn't very good at pass protecting when a defense knows it is a passing down...

just a thought...carry on

Archived