Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason To Be Optomistic

Skins4Life28

The problem with some of you people is you don't appreciate the "old school" style of football...The way the games used to be played,but is being fizzled out by this no huddle run&shoot or west coast passing attack...

Fact is...I'll take a team that plays physical and smashmouth anyday of week...Football is a man's sport with pain and punishment!Not this wussy..run out of bounds..don't hit me...let me run a bunch of 5 yard OUTs...

A team that plays with passion and pain and love is a much more dangerous team to face..This team is working for that goal...Give them time and when they reach their understanding of what they know they need to do...the Redskins will be the one dishing out the pounding!

They reached adversity...Yes they came back against a sucky Jets team...But that is a start!

Suisham is kicking game winners...We are learning how to win again!Ain't pretty...but it never is at the beginning!

Offensive line is starting to gell...NOT starting 5,but the whole damn unit!Maybe Portis's big game is the beginning of what he has figured out what he needs to do...

If so....Teams are in big trouble...If our Running game ever gets consistent and going like the jets game,Then You can't tell me my Thread is way off...!

If the WR's start to play...Then it's over!!Superbowl,here we come!!

Please don't underestimate a Gibbs team!!

That old school style of football doesn't work in today's NFL. You have mix things up with the run and pass and we just aren't doing that.

...We are learning how to win again!Ain't pretty...but it never is at the beginning!

halfway through year 4 is not the beginning

...just saying that the adjustments are taking too long. You can't have an adjustment that takes 5 years to make, half of your roster will be gone to injury, age, or lack of patience.

2) could it be that due to the oline's injuries that passing plays have to be limited...it would explain the no TD's to the Wr's or it might be that the oline just isn't very good at pass protecting when a defense knows it is a passing down...

It's not the O-lines ability not to pass protect for the reason we don't throw the ball. I am at a complete loss when trying to understand our offensive game plans. Other teams in the league who struggle at pass protection try a little thing called PLAY ACTION PASS! This freezes LBs, safeties, and the like, it's amazing on how much we want to smash the ball on people we don't even attempt this. I stand corrected once or twice a game, and when we do we have TWO freakin receivers in the route, no wonder JC checks down all the time. :( :doh:

But inspite of all of this, I will still be there Sunday vs the Iggles pulling out my hair, pleading for a deep pass down the middle!! LET'S GO Defense!!

The problem with some of you people is you don't appreciate the "old school" style of football...The way the games used to be played,but is being fizzled out by this no huddle run&shoot or west coast passing attack...

...or that gimmicky Air Coryell offense?

Oh boy. Another "Let's bash Gibbs" thread. Hooray.

Do any of you actually appreciate/realize the positive things Gibbs has done for this team since returning? Playoffs, postseason win, and a team with youth at key starting positions that should improve as the seasons go on. You all have reverted to the lame Cowboy fans who threw Parcells under the bus. They have quickly forgotten that the players Parcells brought in are the reason Wade's team is doing well. I have a feeling whenever Gibbs does step down, many of you will act the same damn way. So I hope you all are happy with what many of you have become.

All these calls for "more agrresiveness" and "a new offense" is the same recycled crap from '04 and the begining of '05. After '05 however, most of those calls had ceased. Winning stops criticism, that's all. This really reveals that most, if not all, of this criticism is only reactionary. All the threads with one sentence and/or arguments based off assumptions, with no supporting facts, are evidence as well. There is no magical solution, there is no quick fix. There is only what we have right now, and that is a good football team.

We're 5-3. Crying about the coaches of a team with a winning record is dumb. I really hope we beat the Eagles and then the Cowboys, cuz maybe that will make the threads on ES worthwhile to read again. You know, instead of the same rehashed arguments over and over again. It really is quite sad.

The arguments are always about someone needing to be replaced, as if it is only one person holding us back. It is that stupid quick-fix mentality that has hindered this franchise in the past. The fan base created the win-now mentality of D.C., and Snyder acted off of it to appease us. We as a fan-base have contributed to what the Skins were, and what they are now. So if you're going to constantly complain, constantly say the same garbage over and over again, try directing it towards yourself, because we've all played a hand in it.

I'm just glad they like to give Julius Jones his share of carries because Marion Barber III is the real deal. If they didn't let JJ touch the field, the pukes would be really good.
I hate the cowboys but as a player I love Marion Barber. He is an absolute beast and why he does not start is beyond me. I think that was the best pick the Tuna made while he was there. I hate the thought of playing against him. Dude is just that good.

Did you watch the game against the Jets? How could you walk away from that and feel good? I think alot of us here love Gibbs, but that doesn't mean we can't criticize the team. I am happy we are 5-3, but let's face it we could use a little more offensive fire power. Even old school Gibbs would launch the ball down the field to Monk, Clark, and Sanders. We have thrown 2 deep passes and the last 2 games. Is that not alarming for you?? We don't stretch the field at all, can I atleast post that I don't agree?

I hate the cowboys but as a player I love Marion Barber. He is an absolute beast and why he does not start is beyond me. I think that was the best pick the Tuna made while he was there. I hate the thought of playing against him. Dude is just that good.

That tells you how important keeping all of you draft picks is. Barber was a 4th round draft pick.

Remember guys wade is first a defensive minded coach and Jerry Jones got him because of the defense. The big change was to the young offensive Coordinator calling aggressive calls.

And Wade stays out of the Offense letting the Offense guys do the offense.

Do any of you actually appreciate/realize the positive things Gibbs has done for this team since returning? Playoffs, postseason win, and a team with youth at key starting positions that should improve as the seasons go on. You all have reverted to the lame Cowboy fans who threw Parcells under the bus. They have quickly forgotten that the players Parcells brought in are the reason Wade's team is doing well. I have a feeling whenever Gibbs does step down, many of you will act the same damn way. So I hope you all are happy with what many of you have become.

All these calls for "more agrresiveness" and "a new offense" is the same recycled crap from '04 and the begining of '05. After '05 however, most of those calls had ceased. Winning stops criticism, that's all. This really reveals that most, if not all, of this criticism is only reactionary. All the threads with one sentence and/or arguments based off assumptions, with no supporting facts, are evidence as well. There is no magical solution, there is no quick fix. There is only what we have right now, and that is a good football team.

We're 5-3. Crying about the coaches of a team with a winning record is dumb. I really hope we beat the Eagles and then the Cowboys, cuz maybe that will make the threads on ES worthwhile to read again. You know, instead of the same rehashed arguments over and over again. It really is quite sad.

The arguments are always about someone needing to be replaced, as if it is only one person holding us back. It is that stupid quick-fix mentality that has hindered this franchise in the past. The fan base created the win-now mentality of D.C., and Snyder acted off of it to appease us. We as a fan-base have contributed to what the Skins were, and what they are now. So if you're going to constantly complain, constantly say the same garbage over and over again, try directing it towards yourself, because we've all played a hand in it.

:notworthy

Well said!

And Wade stays out of the Offense letting the Offense guys do the offense.

Exactly, I don't understand why bring in Saunders. Everyone knows what Suanders has done and everyone expected the Rams and Chiefs' offense but its still Gibbs.

My best friend that I grew up with and have known for 14 years is a Cowboys fan and he said the same exact thing.

Almost word-for-word.

He said that Parcells' conservative, old-school style of football held their team back for a long time and kept them mediocre and that he's happy as hell that Wade is aggressive and willing to open things up and take risks because they're true contenders now.

I can't wait until our FO or Danny or someone sees this and gets us someone willing to take chances.

Danny did this already in steve spurrier

Do any of you actually appreciate/realize the positive things Gibbs has done for this team since returning? Playoffs, postseason win, and a team with youth at key starting positions that should improve as the seasons go on.

When Spurrier resigned, and it was announced that Joe Gibbs would be coming back to DC..... what were your expectations?

Were you excited about Super Bowls?

Or were you saying to yourself "YES! I can't wait until we're four years in Gibbs II, and we have one playoff win, zero division titles, but some youth at key starting positions!"

:doh:

Honestly, you put Tony Romo sits to pee on this team and Campbell in Dallas and you'd see a complete flip-flop of fortunes in each city.

Those Dallas fans who are saying they're doing better because Parcells left aren't being honest with themselves. Give Wade Phillips Vinny and Bledsoe with everyone else the same they have this season and you'd see an average 8-9 win club again. I'm convinced of that.

It's not because Parcells left... it's because they lucked out and found one of the best QB's in the NFL. Give Gibbs Romo sits to pee with his ability so slide in the pocket and find open WR's downfield... with his ability to read defenses and his innate ability to lead a team and I promise you we would be the team sitting at 7-1, not Dallas. It's that simple.

Put Campbell under center in Dallas and you'd see the same inability to go downfield, the same hesitation and the same limitations as a QB.

The only real difference between Dallas and Washington is their OL and Romo sits to pee vs. Campbell. Romo sits to pee is going to be one of the great QB's in this league for a long time... I'm convinced of that.

Any stupid coach like Phillips that comes along and gets a QB like Romo sits to pee is going to be very, very successful... You don't think Gibbs could win with Romo sits to pee too? Of course he could... at least as much as Phillips has.

Gibbs doesn't go downfield much because our QB has difficulties in reading defenses and has accuracy issues. It's that simple if you ask me. Everyone who wants an open gameplan needs to start hoping for a better QB first, because until we get that... we'll be running this type of offense. :2cents:

Its about watching the game and being able to see if the team is a legit contender. I got to watch all the chitown games last year and I knew they had no real chance to win it it all and I knew they were not going to do so well this year. The problems were obvious. The same can we said of this redskins team, while they are winning the problems are OBVIOUS for anyone who watches the team.

That doesnt mean the team cant fix or improve the problems, but i have seen no evidence thus far that the coaching staff has the ability to do this.

so.....we are supposed to be optimistic because our coach sucks?

As far as talent, the Cowboys are ahead of us (right now); at QB, WR, TE (yes), OL (our injuries), and DL.

At RB we are even.

At LB we are a little ahead, at CB we are a little ahead (injuries plague both teams), Special teams we are a little ahead.

Safety we are ahead.

Overall, they are superior in talent to us....easily. As are the Giants. Sucks. Both of those teams are on the younger side, as well.

Then again, maybe the Cowboys would have been just as good and had the same record if Parcells had stayed for his 5th season instead of leaving after the 4th. Maybe it took 4 years to finally get to this point, with this QB and this particular roster. Wade could be the next Jon Gruden.

Wade built a superbowl team only to jump to a slightly better superbowl team?

halfway through year 4 is not the beginning

...just saying that the adjustments are taking too long. You can't have an adjustment that takes 5 years to make, half of your roster will be gone to injury, age, or lack of patience.

The difference is, we have to change the culture. Players got used to coming to DC to get paid. Now, they are expected to come here and play. Yes, we made a mistake with Lloyd and Archuleta. But Joe Gibbs has changed the culture of losing to one of at least expecting to win. Spurrier sure as hell had an advanced offense. And we had our asses handed to us for two years. Since Gibbs came back, we have not been competitive 2 times: Pats this year and the Giants the week their owner died. Teams RESPECT the Redskins now. They know we are going to play physical and make them earn it. Brian Dawkins said this himself before week 2.
That old school style of football doesn't work in today's NFL. You have mix things up with the run and pass and we just aren't doing that.
That old school style is becoming the trend again. The NFL is cyclical. People said we were going to get left behind in the 80's, when the West Coast Offense became the trend. We somehow managed to survive. Nowadays, power running is making a comeback. The Chiefs, Chargers (when Norval isn't screwing it up), Vikings, Redskins. The only teams that really thrive without the running game is Green Bay. Indy has a power running game. New England can run the ball when they decide to. Dallas has to establish the run to free up the WRs. Look at the Steelers. Everyone was saying that we need to emulate them in their passing offense after they destroyed the Ratbirds. They ran the ball 39 times compared to 21 pass attempts. Almost a 2:1 ratio of run:pass. Our coach says we want to be balanced, and we run 48:23 and he is ripped for being obsolete. Obsolete is NOT 5-3. Come December, you have to be able to run the ball.

Wade built a superbowl team only to jump to a slightly better superbowl team?

Wade had a significant hand in building a 14-2 team, then inherited a team that was built for a Super Bowl run. Whether or not the Cowboys actually make it that far is another story, but you'll see exactly what kind of coach Wade is 4-5 years down the road, not 8 weeks into his current tenure.

Just like with Gruden.

Wade had a significant hand in building a 14-2 team, then inherited a team that was built for a Super Bowl run. Whether or not the Cowboys actually make it that far is another story, but you'll see exactly what kind of coach Wade is 4-5 years down the road, not 8 weeks into his current tenure.

Just like with Gruden.

Yea i know exactly what ur getting at, but i think it is unfair to gruden.

Gruden built a superbowl team in the raider himself. He then took tampa over the top and has had them back in the playoffs since and looks like they might make it again.

I was trying to defend gruden.

Archived