Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homework Help Thread

WizSkinsO's

Apologize if this is too off-topic, but I'm stumped on an AP Lang assignment we got tonight. Believe it or not, this is what they're giving 16-year-olds in school now. If anybody that's read The Great Gatsby has any idea how to respond to this, your help is much appreciated. Figured if anyone else had any HW problems they could post them in this thread as well or if I had any other problems myself. :D

"That's the whole burden of this novel--the loss of those illusions that give such color to the world so that you don't care whether things are true or false as long as they partake of the magical glory." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

Consider Fitzgerald's quote in relation to your understanding of The Great Gatsby. In what ways does Fitzgerald explore this idea in his novel? Think beyond major plot events and construct a response to this quote, focusing on your perception of how the symbols, the imagery, and the characters of this novel work to enhance Fitzgerald's statement.

:mad: Help please!!!

The quote means that Fitzgerald feels that there are certain illusions (or beliefs, or whatever) that people hold that make life worth living, whether or not those beliefs are ultimately true or not, but that when those core beliefs are stripped away, life becomes empty and meaningless.

It's very existentialist, in my view.

Anyway, you'll have to tie that in with what goes on in the book yourself, but I think if you examine the outlook of the main characters as the story progresses, it'll be fairly obvious.

That's all you're getting from me. :)

The only thing that comes to mind about that book was how there was a green light across the waterway that was meant to symbolize the "rich" part of town. Also, remember that Gatsy is not rich. He only seems to be with his huge house, huge library and huge parties he throws. I think I'm talking about the same book. Just google it. There are plenty of essays and questions that are answered about this book online.

Think about the characters and how they evolve in the context of the story--

Have you read Eliot's Wasteland? What other books are you reading?

Consider Fitzgerald's tone in describing the gilded world of the Great Gatsby.

What else have you read from the Jazz Age?

Sadly, no. We've read Gatsby, Brave New World, and Huck Finn this year. The only other Jazz Age material we read was a little essay Fitzgerald wrote on it to go along with the book.

I can't imagine the teacher expects us to have more than just a tiny bit of background on the Jazz Age--I just need to understnad what exactly that quote is asking for and what kind of examples in the text Fitzgerald might be referring to: what is the burden of the novel, and how would you relate the quote to the theme of The Great Gatsby regarding not caring whether these things are true or false?

Appreciate everyone who's tried to help thus far.

Ahhhh The Great Gatsby...had to read it this summer. That along with The Crucible by Arthur Miller and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I basically agree with techboy and iheartskins. He's saying that, without something to hold on to and believe in, whether or not those things are "true or false", life is not as meaningful.

And I'm only 15. :D

Speaking of AP I need to turn that credit in soon or I won't graduate. 4 and a half years and VT still doesn't have my AP Stat scores. Man I procrastinate.

It's been years since I've read that book so the best advice I can give you is to find the sparknotes for that book , review over the chapter summaries , and draw some original content up. Just be sure not to plagiarize in desperation or the man will come down HARD on you.

Come to Rockville and ask Fitzgerald yourself. On 355, the St. Mary's graveyard. That's where he's laid to rest. I must pass his grave 20 times a week.

Seriously though, I remember reading The Great Gatsby, and have felt your pain. Yikes. That book ripped me apart. I think that was the beginning of my dislike for books in general. Sorry buddy, hopefully somebody helps you on here...

Archived