Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's Top 5 NFL Rivalries

Stricknn

Skins vs. Cowgirls #1!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3086647&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

1. Cowboys-Redskins (1970-83)

Cowboys-Redskins (1970-83)

Games played: 29

Cowboys wins: 16

Redskins wins: 13

Playoff games:

1972 NFC Champ. (Was, 26-3)

1982 NFC Champ. (Was, 31-17)

Overall series (since 1960):

Cowboys lead, 55-37-2

How big was this rivalry? American Express even made a commercial tied to it. A Redskins-Cowboys game not only fired up the most laid-back fans of both teams, it also captured the attention of the rest of the NFL during its heyday. After all, you're talking about two marquee franchises and a rivalry that dates all the way back to when former Redskins owner George Preston Marshall opposed the proposal of an expansion team in Texas in the late 1950s. Marshall eventually backed down -- with the Cowboys finally entering the league in 1960 -- but these teams were destined to despise each other ever since.

There actually is so much history between Dallas and Washington that it's hard to pin down a time frame that stands above all others. However, these 13 years will suffice. There were great coaches (Tom Landry for Dallas, George Allen and Joe Gibbs for Washington). Great players and interesting personalities (including Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, John Riggins and Joe Theismann). And above all else, great moments from two teams that combined to win three Super Bowls during this time.

nfl_w_landry_allen_300.jpg Wireimages.com

Dallas head coach Tom Landry (left) and Washington patriarch George Allen took special precautions whenever they faced each other, legend has it.

Take the 1974 Thanksgiving game that featured Clint Longley, an obscure backup quarterback, leading Dallas to a 24-23 comeback win. Five years later, the man Longley replaced on that day, Roger Staubach, led the Cowboys back from a 13-point deficit in a regular-season victory that knocked the Redskins out of the playoffs. Of course, Washington has its favorite memories, as well, including blowout victories in the 1972 and 1982 NFC Championship Games. That's what made this series so compelling. Sooner or later, both teams landed their best blows.

Signature moment: On Dec. 12, 1979, Staubach threw two touchdown passes in the final 140 seconds to erase a 13-point deficit and give host Dallas a 35-34 win. The Redskins missed the playoffs with that defeat, and former Washington coach Jack Pardee said later, "The Lord giveth and He can take it away in a hurry; that's the only way to understand what took place here."

Skins vs. Cowgirls #1!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3086647&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

1. Cowboys-Redskins (1970-83)

Cowboys-Redskins (1970-83)

Games played: 29

Cowboys wins: 16

Redskins wins: 13

Playoff games:

1972 NFC Champ. (Was, 26-3)

1982 NFC Champ. (Was, 31-17)

Overall series (since 1960):

Cowboys lead, 55-37-2

How big was this rivalry? American Express even made a commercial tied to it. A Redskins-Cowboys game not only fired up the most laid-back fans of both teams, it also captured the attention of the rest of the NFL during its heyday. After all, you're talking about two marquee franchises and a rivalry that dates all the way back to when former Redskins owner George Preston Marshall opposed the proposal of an expansion team in Texas in the late 1950s. Marshall eventually backed down -- with the Cowboys finally entering the league in 1960 -- but these teams were destined to despise each other ever since.

There actually is so much history between Dallas and Washington that it's hard to pin down a time frame that stands above all others. However, these 13 years will suffice. There were great coaches (Tom Landry for Dallas, George Allen and Joe Gibbs for Washington). Great players and interesting personalities (including Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, John Riggins and Joe Theismann). And above all else, great moments from two teams that combined to win three Super Bowls during this time.

nfl_w_landry_allen_300.jpg Wireimages.com

Dallas head coach Tom Landry (left) and Washington patriarch George Allen took special precautions whenever they faced each other, legend has it.

Take the 1974 Thanksgiving game that featured Clint Longley, an obscure backup quarterback, leading Dallas to a 24-23 comeback win. Five years later, the man Longley replaced on that day, Roger Staubach, led the Cowboys back from a 13-point deficit in a regular-season victory that knocked the Redskins out of the playoffs. Of course, Washington has its favorite memories, as well, including blowout victories in the 1972 and 1982 NFC Championship Games. That's what made this series so compelling. Sooner or later, both teams landed their best blows.

Signature moment: On Dec. 12, 1979, Staubach threw two touchdown passes in the final 140 seconds to erase a 13-point deficit and give host Dallas a 35-34 win. The Redskins missed the playoffs with that defeat, and former Washington coach Jack Pardee said later, "The Lord giveth and He can take it away in a hurry; that's the only way to understand what took place here."

This is the reason why I am a skins fan and HATE Dallas. I was born on that day in 1974 and my dad was on the way to the hospital but Dallas was making a comeback so he stayed at home to finish watching it.

My mom has never forgiven him for it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is the reason why I am a skins fan and HATE Dallas. I was born on that day in 1974 and my dad was on the way to the hospital but Dallas was making a comeback so he stayed at home to finish watching it.

My mom has never forgiven him for it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How can the Packers-Bears not even receive mention?

What a limited perspective the guy must have. The Patriots and Colts have been rivals for 5 years. The Packers-Bears rivalry dates back before my father was born. Totally absurd.

Agree...Packers/Bears make the list before the Colts/Patriots. I'm sorry but the game is different and there is not the level of hate and brutality in rivalries there once was.

Yes, we all the hate the Cowboys and Eagles but the players still shake hands and hug after the game, not all the players mind you but many. In the heyday, that would get you fined and probably traded in Washington. George Allen would probably get you a bonus if you an injured an opposing player.

Brady? Manning? Just don't see the heated rivalry they make it out to be. Maybe I am just living in the past.

How can the Packers-Bears not even receive mention?

What a limited perspective the guy must have. The Patriots and Colts have been rivals for 5 years. The Packers-Bears rivalry dates back before my father was born. Totally absurd.

Agree...Packers/Bears make the list before the Colts/Patriots. I'm sorry but the game is different and there is not the level of hate and brutality in rivalries there once was.

Yes, we all the hate the Cowboys and Eagles but the players still shake hands and hug after the game, not all the players mind you but many. In the heyday, that would get you fined and probably traded in Washington. George Allen would probably get you a bonus if you an injured an opposing player.

Brady? Manning? Just don't see the heated rivalry they make it out to be. Maybe I am just living in the past.

Archived