Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell on 'running it up'

DEEZL

Y'all are reading into this waaaaaay too much. 14-17 pts leads are not big leads. 38 points is.

Dixie, you're going to upset people's prejudices if you starting dumping common sense into the mix.

Sarcasm aside, I agree wholeheartedly. People are taking Campbell's comments and making a Straw Man argument out of it to expound upon their own opinions. Campbell was NOT talking about a 17-point lead. He was talking about a truly insurrmountable lead, like 38-0.

Posting two fourth quarter TDs to pad a 38-0 lead is not in ANY way shape or form "going for the kill." The kill was made long, long before those TDs were scored. The extra TDs didn't offend me, but they were still clearly done to run up the score (for whatever dubious reasons).

Y'all are reading into this waaaaaay too much. 14-17 pts leads are not big leads. 38 points is.

Dixie, you're going to upset people's prejudices if you starting dumping common sense into the mix.

Sarcasm aside, I agree wholeheartedly. People are taking Campbell's comments and making a Straw Man argument out of it to expound upon their own opinions. Campbell was NOT talking about a 17-point lead. He was talking about a truly insurrmountable lead, like 38-0.

Posting two fourth quarter TDs to pad a 38-0 lead is not in ANY way shape or form "going for the kill." The kill was made long, long before those TDs were scored. The extra TDs didn't offend me, but they were still clearly done to run up the score (for whatever dubious reasons).

"Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off. "That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

Here's a question i haven't seen addressed yet.

Where did this quote come from? Radio? Newspaper? Link? I haven't seen or heard this quote from anywhere else.

"Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off. "That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

Here's a question i haven't seen addressed yet.

Where did this quote come from? Radio? Newspaper? Link? I haven't seen or heard this quote from anywhere else.

considering weve let off the gas with a 17 point lead and a 14 point lead, it would be safe to assume that our staff seems to think that a 2 possession lead is a big deal, when in reality, its absolutely nothing in this league anymore.

They don't think it's a "safe" lead, they think the best way to protect it is to do everything humanly possible to avoid a bigtime turnover. Now, there are several arguments to be made against that approach, but there's nothing to indicate that this staff thinks 14 points is a safe lead.

Also, Campbell wasn't talking about a 14 point lead and it doesn't take much to recognize that. No one would ever consider expanding a 14-point lead into a 21-point lead as "running it up." Turning a 38-0 fourth-quarter lead into a 45 or 52-point lead? That's a horse of a different color.

considering weve let off the gas with a 17 point lead and a 14 point lead, it would be safe to assume that our staff seems to think that a 2 possession lead is a big deal, when in reality, its absolutely nothing in this league anymore.

They don't think it's a "safe" lead, they think the best way to protect it is to do everything humanly possible to avoid a bigtime turnover. Now, there are several arguments to be made against that approach, but there's nothing to indicate that this staff thinks 14 points is a safe lead.

Also, Campbell wasn't talking about a 14 point lead and it doesn't take much to recognize that. No one would ever consider expanding a 14-point lead into a 21-point lead as "running it up." Turning a 38-0 fourth-quarter lead into a 45 or 52-point lead? That's a horse of a different color.

it depends on the situation...there is a big diff between running the ball/clock up 17 (which is still trying by the way) and throwing bombs up 40 (when your opponent hasnt whiffed the end zone)...one is traditional and sportsmanlike the other is running it up and classless.

it depends on the situation...there is a big diff between running the ball/clock up 17 (which is still trying by the way) and throwing bombs up 40 (when your opponent hasnt whiffed the end zone)...one is traditional and sportsmanlike the other is running it up and classless.

but the redskins have visably eased up in the giants and the cardinals game after getting small leads, and it just goes to show that this offense lacks the killer instinct to put teams away that the patriots blatantly have. or any good offense has for that matter. you realize weve only scored 3 touchdowns on offense in one game?? thats the most weve put up.

i dont even think this team could put up big points even if they wanted to because we just arent very good at the moment. sitting on leads, leads to games like the cardinals and giants games. ugly ugly stuff.

but the redskins have visably eased up in the giants and the cardinals game after getting small leads, and it just goes to show that this offense lacks the killer instinct to put teams away that the patriots blatantly have. or any good offense has for that matter. you realize weve only scored 3 touchdowns on offense in one game?? thats the most weve put up.

i dont even think this team could put up big points even if they wanted to because we just arent very good at the moment. sitting on leads, leads to games like the cardinals and giants games. ugly ugly stuff.

:doh: ......... We are a laughing stock

With the media, many fans, and even some of our own players. This is sad. Not unexpected, though. Players don't have the loyalty that they once did. That is why you'll never see a Redskin player take cheap shots or make statements in the name of the team like some were calling for on here with Brady and/or Belichick. Why take cheap shots against a team you want to play for? The only thing the Redskins are good for is a quick paycheck.

:doh: ......... We are a laughing stock

With the media, many fans, and even some of our own players. This is sad. Not unexpected, though. Players don't have the loyalty that they once did. That is why you'll never see a Redskin player take cheap shots or make statements in the name of the team like some were calling for on here with Brady and/or Belichick. Why take cheap shots against a team you want to play for? The only thing the Redskins are good for is a quick paycheck.

I don't see what the big deal is, if we didn't want them to run up the score then GW should have done something about it. He should have sent some blitz packages rather than let them sit bact in that played out cover 2 shell with the LBs playing deep field. What is GW doing over there.

Don't blame the Pats, blame the SKins coaching staff and the overpriced players on our team. And blame the short fellow Dan "Pony Boy" Snyder for running this franchise into the gutter.

I don't see what the big deal is, if we didn't want them to run up the score then GW should have done something about it. He should have sent some blitz packages rather than let them sit bact in that played out cover 2 shell with the LBs playing deep field. What is GW doing over there.

Don't blame the Pats, blame the SKins coaching staff and the overpriced players on our team. And blame the short fellow Dan "Pony Boy" Snyder for running this franchise into the gutter.

i have a couple of problems with this. 1st, since when - on a jason cambell-led redskin team, have we had a 'big lead'? maybe once with detroit? is this a regular occurance that i'm not aware of?

2nd, is this the correct approach? shouldn't the skins have a more 'stake through the heart' mentality similar to that of the patriots? i'm not saying they should go for it on 4th down with a 38 pt lead, but have that 'lets put this team away' mentality that the patriots seem to have.

if jason is referring to a 14pt lead as a 'big lead', then i guess he's right. the problem is, in this modern nfl game, 14pts ain't jack squat.

Big lead must be 7-10 pts.

i have a couple of problems with this. 1st, since when - on a jason cambell-led redskin team, have we had a 'big lead'? maybe once with detroit? is this a regular occurance that i'm not aware of?

2nd, is this the correct approach? shouldn't the skins have a more 'stake through the heart' mentality similar to that of the patriots? i'm not saying they should go for it on 4th down with a 38 pt lead, but have that 'lets put this team away' mentality that the patriots seem to have.

if jason is referring to a 14pt lead as a 'big lead', then i guess he's right. the problem is, in this modern nfl game, 14pts ain't jack squat.

Big lead must be 7-10 pts.

dude, the pats took 1 shot downfield after they were killing us. 1 shot. not 2, not 3, not multiple shots. 1 friggin shot, from the best current QB to the best current WR. and it worked as well.

its not classless to destroy a team. weve done it before, we did it in 05 to the 49ers. so what we didnt throw the ball, we just ran it down a teams throat that had no run defense. were a run first team, the pats are a throw first team. all they did was keep throwing dumpoffs. they were probably bored off their a**es to be playing us yesterday. they beat us harder than any other team theyve faced.

theyre not classless, theyre a dominating force of a football team, and all of us will remember this season for the rest of our lives.

dude, the pats took 1 shot downfield after they were killing us. 1 shot. not 2, not 3, not multiple shots. 1 friggin shot, from the best current QB to the best current WR. and it worked as well.

its not classless to destroy a team. weve done it before, we did it in 05 to the 49ers. so what we didnt throw the ball, we just ran it down a teams throat that had no run defense. were a run first team, the pats are a throw first team. all they did was keep throwing dumpoffs. they were probably bored off their a**es to be playing us yesterday. they beat us harder than any other team theyve faced.

theyre not classless, theyre a dominating force of a football team, and all of us will remember this season for the rest of our lives.

Archived