Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell on 'running it up'

DEEZL

"Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off. "That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

i have a couple of problems with this. 1st, since when - on a jason cambell-led redskin team, have we had a 'big lead'? maybe once with detroit? is this a regular occurance that i'm not aware of?

2nd, is this the correct approach? shouldn't the skins have a more 'stake through the heart' mentality similar to that of the patriots? i'm not saying they should go for it on 4th down with a 38 pt lead, but have that 'lets put this team away' mentality that the patriots seem to have.

if jason is referring to a 14pt lead as a 'big lead', then i guess he's right. the problem is, in this modern nfl game, 14pts ain't jack squat.

Please tell me he didn't really say that...

This justifies everything the cynical ones among us here are saying (myself included) - that this coaching staff doesn't know how, or doesn't want to put opponents away when they have the opportunity.

"Jason Campbell said that when the Redskins have a big lead, the team's approach is to back off. "That's just what we do," he said. "Their motto might be different. They might have a different approach in the way they do it."

i have a couple of problems with this. 1st, since when - on a jason cambell-led redskin team, have we had a 'big lead'? maybe once with detroit? is this a regular occurance that i'm not aware of?

2nd, is this the correct approach? shouldn't the skins have a more 'stake through the heart' mentality similar to that of the patriots? i'm not saying they should go for it on 4th down with a 38 pt lead, but have that 'lets put this team away' mentality that the patriots seem to have.

if jason is referring to a 14pt lead as a 'big lead', then i guess he's right. the problem is, in this modern nfl game, 14pts ain't jack squat.

This justifies everything the cynical ones among us here are saying (myself included) - that this coaching staff doesn't know how, or doesn't want to put opponents away when they have the opportunity.

Well, first you have to have an offense that *can* run the score up. The Skins offense is the exact opposite of Green Bay's. The can run, but cannot pass. The Skins lack quality receivers. Moss is a #2 at best. A prolific passer can help, but Campbell isn't prolific at passing. I don't even see him being a great QB. He is a game manager and a game manager can't win many games by themselves. Brett Favre is a prolific passer and he can win games by himself. Vince Young while not what most people would want in a QB is a big-time gamer who can win games by himself. Campbell, just isn't that type of big-time player. I look at him more like Brad Johnson or at absolute best Mark Brunell in his prime which was pretty damn good. (In his Jacksonville days not his days in Washington)

Well, first you have to have an offense that *can* run the score up. The Skins offense is the exact opposite of Green Bay's. The can run, but cannot pass. The Skins lack quality receivers. Moss is a #2 at best. A prolific passer can help, but Campbell isn't prolific at passing. I don't even see him being a great QB. He is a game manager and a game manager can't win many games by themselves. Brett Favre is a prolific passer and he can win games by himself. Vince Young while not what most people would want in a QB is a big-time gamer who can win games by himself. Campbell, just isn't that type of big-time player. I look at him more like Brad Johnson or at absolute best Mark Brunell in his prime which was pretty damn good. (In his Jacksonville days not his days in Washington)

Y'all are reading into this waaaaaay too much. 14-17 pts leads are not big leads. 38 points is.

Y'all are reading into this waaaaaay too much. 14-17 pts leads are not big leads. 38 points is.

Is this why we don't score in the 2nd half when we go into halftime with a lead? JK

It would sure seem to explain it. And I'm not kidding.

It would also seem to explain that a "big lead" to this team = 14 points. Or in the case of the game with Green Bay, 7 points. :doh:

Fasten your seat belts, as I expect we'll probably have a 6-3 halftime lead against the Jets next Sunday...only to watch as our offense yet again "backs off" in fear of hurting our opponent's feelings. :rolleyes:

Is this why we don't score in the 2nd half when we go into halftime with a lead? JK

It would sure seem to explain it. And I'm not kidding.

It would also seem to explain that a "big lead" to this team = 14 points. Or in the case of the game with Green Bay, 7 points. :doh:

Fasten your seat belts, as I expect we'll probably have a 6-3 halftime lead against the Jets next Sunday...only to watch as our offense yet again "backs off" in fear of hurting our opponent's feelings. :rolleyes:

considering weve let off the gas with a 17 point lead and a 14 point lead, it would be safe to assume that our staff seems to think that a 2 possession lead is a big deal, when in reality, its absolutely nothing in this league anymore.

considering weve let off the gas with a 17 point lead and a 14 point lead, it would be safe to assume that our staff seems to think that a 2 possession lead is a big deal, when in reality, its absolutely nothing in this league anymore.

Archived