Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A few Dallas fans answer the question; Portis or Westbrook?

flexxskins

Portis IS an ELITE back. I cant wait until Randy Thomas comes back for our playoff run so our offensive line will have 4/5 of the starting members (praying that nothing else happens *knocks on wood 50xs) and either Wade or Heyer will have gelled with the rest of the line a lot more by then. You put Westbrook behind our current line and i bet he wouldnt be able to do anything either, although i will concede he catches the ball better than Portis. But Portis is just as valuable to the passing game i think in a different way. He's got to be the best if not top 3 in pass blocking, so even though he doesnt get the yards Westbrook gets in the passing game, he helps allow our other players to get those yards. A lot of people are selling Portis short this year when its not his damn fault. The only thing he needs to get back under control is the fumbling. He normally only fumbles 3-5 times a season.

I was about to post something, but I saw this. You sum it up perfectly. :applause:

Portis IS an ELITE back. I cant wait until Randy Thomas comes back for our playoff run so our offensive line will have 4/5 of the starting members (praying that nothing else happens *knocks on wood 50xs) and either Wade or Heyer will have gelled with the rest of the line a lot more by then. You put Westbrook behind our current line and i bet he wouldnt be able to do anything either, although i will concede he catches the ball better than Portis. But Portis is just as valuable to the passing game i think in a different way. He's got to be the best if not top 3 in pass blocking, so even though he doesnt get the yards Westbrook gets in the passing game, he helps allow our other players to get those yards. A lot of people are selling Portis short this year when its not his damn fault. The only thing he needs to get back under control is the fumbling. He normally only fumbles 3-5 times a season.

I was about to post something, but I saw this. You sum it up perfectly. :applause:

Portis fits us and Westbrook fits Philly.

Put Portis in the Philly O and he would add a lot more catching yards because of the style of play i.e. he wouldn't be tasked to pass block like he is with us. Would he be as good all around as Westbrook in the Philly system? Maybe, maybe not. Would Westbrook be as good as Portis in our system? No.

We have the right back for our system, they have the right back for theirs. They are different players who both excel in their respective systems when the opportunity is there (i.e. when you have an OL).

One thing to add though. The pass first Philly system isn't as vulnerable to Ol injuries as our run first is. Whilst we are showing we cannot run block effectively we should switch more often to pass first and have Portis as the dump off rather than the pass blocker. Not only would this help us win games IMO it would also clear up this little question.

Portis fits us and Westbrook fits Philly.

Put Portis in the Philly O and he would add a lot more catching yards because of the style of play i.e. he wouldn't be tasked to pass block like he is with us. Would he be as good all around as Westbrook in the Philly system? Maybe, maybe not. Would Westbrook be as good as Portis in our system? No.

We have the right back for our system, they have the right back for theirs. They are different players who both excel in their respective systems when the opportunity is there (i.e. when you have an OL).

One thing to add though. The pass first Philly system isn't as vulnerable to Ol injuries as our run first is. Whilst we are showing we cannot run block effectively we should switch more often to pass first and have Portis as the dump off rather than the pass blocker. Not only would this help us win games IMO it would also clear up this little question.

Portis all the way. Westbrook can't stay healthy and isn't flexible enough. If you need him to pound out yards I don't think he can consistently do it the way CP has done it over the years.

No offense, but consistently doesn't appear belong in the same sentence as Clinton Portis, either.

Portis all the way. Westbrook can't stay healthy and isn't flexible enough. If you need him to pound out yards I don't think he can consistently do it the way CP has done it over the years.

No offense, but consistently doesn't appear belong in the same sentence as Clinton Portis, either.

Portis is asked to run the ball between the tackles and Westbrook plays in the west coast offense and is asked to do things that Roger Craig and Ricky Watters used to do. The 2 aren't comparable.
Sure they are. They are both starting RB's in the NFL. The question was; who would you sign tomorrow to your own team given the opportunity? IMO it really doesn't have to get so complicated.

Not to say that I don't understand what you are talking about. :)

Portis is asked to run the ball between the tackles and Westbrook plays in the west coast offense and is asked to do things that Roger Craig and Ricky Watters used to do. The 2 aren't comparable.
Sure they are. They are both starting RB's in the NFL. The question was; who would you sign tomorrow to your own team given the opportunity? IMO it really doesn't have to get so complicated.

Not to say that I don't understand what you are talking about. :)

Archived