Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Huddle Offense(s)?

Om

Don't be surprised to see Brady and the NE offense run the no-huddle early in the game tomorrow.

I've been a little surprised over the past weeks that we've not seen more of it against us, given what looked like some early success using it by both Miami and Philly. I recall thinking our D looked a bit unsettled and vulnerable when unable to substitute packages as liberally as GW likes to. I also recall being a little surprised neither team went back to it late when the games were still on the line.

Belichick won't have missed those films, and neither he nor Brady will be shy about running the no-huddle given Brady's skills at calling the game from the line anyway. I hope (and suspect) GW and his assistants have had this thought and been prepping the D for it this week.

A related thought was recollection of something Gibbs did to Buffalo in SB XXVI. For 2 weeks we had heard about the great no-huddle "Kelly Gun" offense the Bills ran ... and lo and behold, when the game started, not only was our defense ready for it (our substitutions flew in and out so fast the Bills no huddle was rendered moot), but our OWN offense ran a few series of no-huddle themselves--something we'd hardly seen all year and actually caught Buffalo off guard.

I remember cackling a bit about that. :)

Don't be shocked to see something like that from Gibbs/Saunders tomorrow. I've been waiting for us to break out the no-huddle over the past few weeks, as the O has struggled to overcome the OL injuries and the running game has slowed. Tomorrow has a kind of out-of-nowhere, nothing-to-lose feel to it, and I'm thinking it might be an opportunity for the Skins to try something like that to shake things up and try to get a spark.

It's the kind of thing Gibbs used to find irresistible.

No, we don't want to speed the game up any more than necessary and would rather grind out long, ball control scoring drives that keep Brady on the sidelines, but if we struggle to get going early, don't discount the possibility of seeing us hit the line of scrimmage without huddling, and seeing Jason either call or get plays signaled in, making the Pats scramble to sub.

Hell, if nothing else maybe we'll get 'em to burn a couple time outs.

Just thoughts.

Don't be surprised to see Brady and the NE offense run the no-huddle early in the game tomorrow.

I've been a little surprised over the past weeks that we've not seen more of it against us, given what looked like some early success using it by both Miami and Philly. I recall thinking our D looked a bit unsettled and vulnerable when unable to substitute packages as liberally as GW likes to. I also recall being a little surprised neither team went back to it late when the games were still on the line.

Belichick won't have missed those films, and neither he nor Brady will be shy about running the no-huddle given Brady's skills at calling the game from the line anyway. I hope (and suspect) GW and his assistants have had this thought and been prepping the D for it this week.

A related thought was recollection of something Gibbs did to Buffalo in SB XXVI. For 2 weeks we had heard about the great no-huddle "Kelly Gun" offense the Bills ran ... and lo and behold, when the game started, not only was our defense ready for it (our substitutions flew in and out so fast the Bills no huddle was rendered moot), but our OWN offense ran a few series of no-huddle themselves--something we'd hardly seen all year and actually caught Buffalo off guard.

I remember cackling a bit about that. :)

Don't be shocked to see something like that from Gibbs/Saunders tomorrow. I've been waiting for us to break out the no-huddle over the past few weeks, as the O has struggled to overcome the OL injuries and the running game has slowed. Tomorrow has a kind of out-of-nowhere, nothing-to-lose feel to it, and I'm thinking it might be an opportunity for the Skins to try something like that to shake things up and try to get a spark.

It's the kind of thing Gibbs used to find irresistible.

No, we don't want to speed the game up any more than necessary and would rather grind out long, ball control scoring drives that keep Brady on the sidelines, but if we struggle to get going early, don't discount the possibility of seeing us hit the line of scrimmage without huddling, and seeing Jason either call or get plays signaled in, making the Pats scramble to sub.

Hell, if nothing else maybe we'll get 'em to burn a couple time outs.

Just thoughts.

Hah, wow, we both posted something about the Skins' possibly doing that at the same time. What are the odds? Great minds think alike.

Agree completely. I'm not too worried about how our defense would handle it either and I think that may even lead to a rare mistake for Brady, possibly a Taylor INT. I'm far more concerned about how our offense is going to produce at all and really hope we do go no-huddle a few series.

Hah, wow, we both posted something about the Skins' possibly doing that at the same time. What are the odds? Great minds think alike.

Agree completely. I'm not too worried about how our defense would handle it either and I think that may even lead to a rare mistake for Brady, possibly a Taylor INT. I'm far more concerned about how our offense is going to produce at all and really hope we do go no-huddle a few series.

WTF?

Wiz, not sure if I just deleted your thread while trying to merge it or what. Looking into it ...

Please tell me you saved the post just in case?

Lol. I just pressed back a couple of times and was able to copy the post. If you got it figured out yourself feel free to delete this:

I think Joe needs to realize that as much as he loves ball control, when we play conservative and run first and second down with this O-Line, we end up losing the ball. We just don't have the power running game anymore and Jason Campbell is clearly our best offensive weapon. If you want to dominate time of possession and the scoreboard tomorrow, we need to throw the ball. That said, I had a few possible variations to our offense I was wondering if we might try tomorrow. Please let me know your thoughts on any of them.

1. No-Huddle Offense:

Does anyone know if we've worked on a no-huddle offense at practice this week? I would think it would be a good idea to try and confuse the Pats a bit in their own house and get to the line quickly so we don't have problems getting the plays in with the crowd noise and let Jason call some plays at the line. The Pats' have a great defense but it seems to me that their defense is more due to their system and coaching rather than their skill, while the offense is exactly the opposite. If we can make them keep the same players on the field, I think we can enjoy a lot more success. Do you think we'll see a no-huddle offense at some point tomorrow?

2. 5-WR sets:

Will Reche Caldwell be active tomorrow? I thought we signed him to challenge for the 3rd WR job and he hasn't even been active. Does he still not know the offense or has he done something to fall out of favor with Al? If he will be active, I really think we should try and line up in some 5 WR sets and spread the field, go for some deep shots down the field. Line up with Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, McCardell, and Caldwell/Thrash and basically tell the Pats you're passing and dare them to stop you. We have a good group of WR's as a whole and a QB with a big strong arm and need to take advantage of it.

3. WR Reverse Pass From Randle-El:

Have we tried this yet this season? We really should. You want to beat the Pats, you can't be afraid of trying one trick play with potentially a huge reward if it works although if it doesn't it could be picked off or something. Randle El is always smart on those plays and won't throw it unless it's open; so why not give it a try? Heck, on the first play, do the reverse to Antwan and let him bomb it down the field.

4. Direct-Snaps to Portis:

We tried this a bit in the Lions game and I liked the results. Portis still sees the field well and it's a good way to get some running yards despite the weaker offensive line. Put Portis behind center, bring him around the end, and see if he can break one. In the red-zone, how about another trick play? Direct snap to Portis, TD pass to Campbell.

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley, why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.

6. Onside Kicks:

Didn't the Jets beat the Pats last year with the help of an onside kick in a tie game or something? Obviously it's still a low percentage play and you don't want to get stupid about it and give the Pats great field position, but if their offense has a TD lead or something and is starting to tire our defense down, why not give this a shot once? Again, you're not going to win this game by being conservative. Take a shot.

Well, I'm ready. Hope the coaching staff has prepared too and has at least one of these up their sleeves. HTTR!

WTF?

Wiz, not sure if I just deleted your thread while trying to merge it or what. Looking into it ...

Please tell me you saved the post just in case?

Lol. I just pressed back a couple of times and was able to copy the post. If you got it figured out yourself feel free to delete this:

I think Joe needs to realize that as much as he loves ball control, when we play conservative and run first and second down with this O-Line, we end up losing the ball. We just don't have the power running game anymore and Jason Campbell is clearly our best offensive weapon. If you want to dominate time of possession and the scoreboard tomorrow, we need to throw the ball. That said, I had a few possible variations to our offense I was wondering if we might try tomorrow. Please let me know your thoughts on any of them.

1. No-Huddle Offense:

Does anyone know if we've worked on a no-huddle offense at practice this week? I would think it would be a good idea to try and confuse the Pats a bit in their own house and get to the line quickly so we don't have problems getting the plays in with the crowd noise and let Jason call some plays at the line. The Pats' have a great defense but it seems to me that their defense is more due to their system and coaching rather than their skill, while the offense is exactly the opposite. If we can make them keep the same players on the field, I think we can enjoy a lot more success. Do you think we'll see a no-huddle offense at some point tomorrow?

2. 5-WR sets:

Will Reche Caldwell be active tomorrow? I thought we signed him to challenge for the 3rd WR job and he hasn't even been active. Does he still not know the offense or has he done something to fall out of favor with Al? If he will be active, I really think we should try and line up in some 5 WR sets and spread the field, go for some deep shots down the field. Line up with Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, McCardell, and Caldwell/Thrash and basically tell the Pats you're passing and dare them to stop you. We have a good group of WR's as a whole and a QB with a big strong arm and need to take advantage of it.

3. WR Reverse Pass From Randle-El:

Have we tried this yet this season? We really should. You want to beat the Pats, you can't be afraid of trying one trick play with potentially a huge reward if it works although if it doesn't it could be picked off or something. Randle El is always smart on those plays and won't throw it unless it's open; so why not give it a try? Heck, on the first play, do the reverse to Antwan and let him bomb it down the field.

4. Direct-Snaps to Portis:

We tried this a bit in the Lions game and I liked the results. Portis still sees the field well and it's a good way to get some running yards despite the weaker offensive line. Put Portis behind center, bring him around the end, and see if he can break one. In the red-zone, how about another trick play? Direct snap to Portis, TD pass to Campbell.

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley, why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.

6. Onside Kicks:

Didn't the Jets beat the Pats last year with the help of an onside kick in a tie game or something? Obviously it's still a low percentage play and you don't want to get stupid about it and give the Pats great field position, but if their offense has a TD lead or something and is starting to tire our defense down, why not give this a shot once? Again, you're not going to win this game by being conservative. Take a shot.

Well, I'm ready. Hope the coaching staff has prepared too and has at least one of these up their sleeves. HTTR!

Archived