Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Huddle Offense(s)?

Om

4. Direct-Snaps to Portis:

We tried this a bit in the Lions game and I liked the results. Portis still sees the field well and it's a good way to get some running yards despite the weaker offensive line. Put Portis behind center, bring him around the end, and see if he can break one. In the red-zone, how about another trick play? Direct snap to Portis, TD pass to Campbell.

Oh, man. The mere thought of seeing this happen has me in stitches! Portis in the shotgun (announcer is a bit perplexed)....Campbell is lined up to the left (sounds even more perplexed)... Portis is back to pass...he's looking, he's looking....he fires...TD Jason Campbell! :laugh:

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley, why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.

Boy, would this have folks confused if Sean Taylor was in as a WR! :laugh:

4. Direct-Snaps to Portis:

We tried this a bit in the Lions game and I liked the results. Portis still sees the field well and it's a good way to get some running yards despite the weaker offensive line. Put Portis behind center, bring him around the end, and see if he can break one. In the red-zone, how about another trick play? Direct snap to Portis, TD pass to Campbell.

Oh, man. The mere thought of seeing this happen has me in stitches! Portis in the shotgun (announcer is a bit perplexed)....Campbell is lined up to the left (sounds even more perplexed)... Portis is back to pass...he's looking, he's looking....he fires...TD Jason Campbell! :laugh:

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley, why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.

Boy, would this have folks confused if Sean Taylor was in as a WR! :laugh:

Seriously though, I know it sounds a bit insane but it really could work. The only thing I'd be a bit worried about would be Jason catching the ball but it'd be worth a shot.

Get to the line early. Start in a normal shotgun package but have Portis to the right of Jason and Sellers on the line at the right. Jason goes in motion and has the Pats clearly confused. Portis steps in where Jason was at shotgun. Hike the ball, Portis rolls to the right as if he's trying to get around the end, and the Pats would definitely think that's what he's doing as Sellers is on the right to block and we can have Thrash on the right as WR as well, Campbell in there just to help out--but instead of blocking, Jason goes undetected into the endzone, and after Portis really sells it well, gets back just about to the line of scrimmage, he does a sort of leaping-pass thing to Jason in the end zone and we pray he holds on.

Excuse my lack of football terminology and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I can definitely see a play like that working, especially if you really sell it well as a run and don't give the Pats time to call a time-out in their confusion. The Lions barely covered Jason when we sent him out as a WR and I doubt the Pats would if they were convinced Portis was running.

Seriously though, I know it sounds a bit insane but it really could work. The only thing I'd be a bit worried about would be Jason catching the ball but it'd be worth a shot.

Get to the line early. Start in a normal shotgun package but have Portis to the right of Jason and Sellers on the line at the right. Jason goes in motion and has the Pats clearly confused. Portis steps in where Jason was at shotgun. Hike the ball, Portis rolls to the right as if he's trying to get around the end, and the Pats would definitely think that's what he's doing as Sellers is on the right to block and we can have Thrash on the right as WR as well, Campbell in there just to help out--but instead of blocking, Jason goes undetected into the endzone, and after Portis really sells it well, gets back just about to the line of scrimmage, he does a sort of leaping-pass thing to Jason in the end zone and we pray he holds on.

Excuse my lack of football terminology and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I can definitely see a play like that working, especially if you really sell it well as a run and don't give the Pats time to call a time-out in their confusion. The Lions barely covered Jason when we sent him out as a WR and I doubt the Pats would if they were convinced Portis was running.

Seriously though' date=' I know it sounds a bit insane but it really could work. The only thing I'd be a bit worried about would be Jason catching the ball but it'd be worth a shot.

Excuse my lack of football terminology and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I can definitely see a play like that working, especially if you really sell it well as a run and don't give the Pats time to call a time-out in their confusion. The Lions barely covered Jason when we sent him out as a WR and I doubt the Pats would if they were convinced Portis was running.[/quote']

Dude, that's asking to get JC injured, bad idea.

Seriously though' date=' I know it sounds a bit insane but it really could work. The only thing I'd be a bit worried about would be Jason catching the ball but it'd be worth a shot.

Excuse my lack of football terminology and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I can definitely see a play like that working, especially if you really sell it well as a run and don't give the Pats time to call a time-out in their confusion. The Lions barely covered Jason when we sent him out as a WR and I doubt the Pats would if they were convinced Portis was running.[/quote']

I look at it as a near-guaranteed TD, actually. Obviously, if the Pats are onto it and pick up Jason, you don't throw the ball to him. Only if we're able to sell the run well enough and Jason is able to slip into the endzone undetected do you throw it to him. If not, just have Portis keep the ball and get whatever he can out of it.

Unless we're worried Jason's gonna injure himself trying to catch a ball with no one around though, I think he'd be fine to do that.

I look at it as a near-guaranteed TD, actually. Obviously, if the Pats are onto it and pick up Jason, you don't throw the ball to him. Only if we're able to sell the run well enough and Jason is able to slip into the endzone undetected do you throw it to him. If not, just have Portis keep the ball and get whatever he can out of it.

Unless we're worried Jason's gonna injure himself trying to catch a ball with no one around though, I think he'd be fine to do that.

I'm all for throwing the ball more, spreading the field, and use of shotgun, but I don't want much in the way of gadget plays. I don't think 5 WR is a good idea, because Cooley wouldn't be in. :) I agree about McCardell, I think he should be our #3. I think we should run a similar offense to what we did in Houston last year; west coast, short passes to lots of receivers: screens, slants, etc. We need to get rid of the ball quickly and into the hands of our playmakers. This way we are still playing ball control, but without the drawback of trying to run the ball with a weak Oline, and since the ball will be out quickly, they won't have to protect too long.

I'm all for throwing the ball more, spreading the field, and use of shotgun, but I don't want much in the way of gadget plays. I don't think 5 WR is a good idea, because Cooley wouldn't be in. :) I agree about McCardell, I think he should be our #3. I think we should run a similar offense to what we did in Houston last year; west coast, short passes to lots of receivers: screens, slants, etc. We need to get rid of the ball quickly and into the hands of our playmakers. This way we are still playing ball control, but without the drawback of trying to run the ball with a weak Oline, and since the ball will be out quickly, they won't have to protect too long.

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley' date=' why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.[/quote']

Funny that our Safety would be our tallest receiver. :laugh:

I think it would be an interesting idea but I don't like the idea of him possibly being targeted. He is supposed to injure, not become injured. heh.

5. Sean Taylor in at WR:

Does he still work with the offense some in practice? Getting in the endzone when we're down close against the Pats is going to be crucial. Since a WR hasn't caught a TD pass all season and the Pats will undoubtedly be covering Cooley' date=' why not give the freak a chance to go up there and get one? I'd say Sean could catch a jump ball.[/quote']

Funny that our Safety would be our tallest receiver. :laugh:

I think it would be an interesting idea but I don't like the idea of him possibly being targeted. He is supposed to injure, not become injured. heh.

No huddle is not a bad idea. as it forces the Defense to commit a bit early. If we do this we seriously need to vary our snap counts so that the new england ends cant Tee Off on Jason. However, I thought in the last SB run that we ran the two minute in the first five minutes several times that year. Call me crazy but I could have sworn we had done in it in at least a couple of games.

No huddle is not a bad idea. as it forces the Defense to commit a bit early. If we do this we seriously need to vary our snap counts so that the new england ends cant Tee Off on Jason. However, I thought in the last SB run that we ran the two minute in the first five minutes several times that year. Call me crazy but I could have sworn we had done in it in at least a couple of games.

no huddle is a horrible idea actually passing the ball is a horrible idea it requires the QB to have time in a stationary position. Look what happen to J Campbell in the preseason, and to think, pass blocking upfront cant buy him anytime in the pocket. Recently coming off injury rookie Heyer starting (who pass protects just as well if not better than Wade also injured) at that time Jansen and Thomas were healthy, that healthier version of the redskins O line didnt save him from getting hurt. Now we have Rabach back recovering from injury, newly aquired LG Kendall recovering from injury and back up RG/C Pucillo. Why not just run the ball, theres less of a chance of loss of downs when passing are caused by dropped, tipped, or intercepted passes. running keeps the clock running and has a higher chance of gaining yards on a play.i doubt campbell wants to throw INT's but i highly doubt Portis and Betts want to fumble. All campbells INTs resulted from tipped passes, why not just hand it off :writing:

no huddle is a horrible idea actually passing the ball is a horrible idea it requires the QB to have time in a stationary position. Look what happen to J Campbell in the preseason, and to think, pass blocking upfront cant buy him anytime in the pocket. Recently coming off injury rookie Heyer starting (who pass protects just as well if not better than Wade also injured) at that time Jansen and Thomas were healthy, that healthier version of the redskins O line didnt save him from getting hurt. Now we have Rabach back recovering from injury, newly aquired LG Kendall recovering from injury and back up RG/C Pucillo. Why not just run the ball, theres less of a chance of loss of downs when passing are caused by dropped, tipped, or intercepted passes. running keeps the clock running and has a higher chance of gaining yards on a play.i doubt campbell wants to throw INT's but i highly doubt Portis and Betts want to fumble. All campbells INTs resulted from tipped passes, why not just hand it off :writing:

You have to have balance. Mixing runs and passes will help keep the defense guessing wrong. The short passing game will help the offensive line hold up and get JC in a rhythm. Play action will freeze the safeties and linebackers once the run game is effective and those opportunities should not be missed. I agree to your point of running and eating up clock, but first you need the lead.

You have to have balance. Mixing runs and passes will help keep the defense guessing wrong. The short passing game will help the offensive line hold up and get JC in a rhythm. Play action will freeze the safeties and linebackers once the run game is effective and those opportunities should not be missed. I agree to your point of running and eating up clock, but first you need the lead.

Archived