Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was AZ kicker offsides on on-sides kick?

nicholas

I was at the game Sunday, so I didn't get teh luxury of replays. To me it looked like the kicker stepped just in front of the ball with his plant foot and then kicked straight down on the ball with the kicking foot (and the ball then went off of his plant foot). If so isn't he offsides? Or an illegal touch (with the plant foot) before 10 yards? Can anyone out there isolate this play and post the video?

I don't think it matters at this point. Just take the W. IF you wanna gripe about something, join me in saying how much of a punk Neil Rackers is for picking a fight, and then not getting any detriment to his team for it. Then a Cardinals player happens to take out a ref. If it was Carlos and any of our players who did that, they'd get ejected.

I was at the game Sunday, so I didn't get teh luxury of replays. To me it looked like the kicker stepped just in front of the ball with his plant foot and then kicked straight down on the ball with the kicking foot (and the ball then went off of his plant foot). If so isn't he offsides? Or an illegal touch (with the plant foot) before 10 yards? Can anyone out there isolate this play and post the video?

In that case when the wind kept knocking the ball off the tee, the guy that ended up kneeling and holding it up was offsides.:doh:

Shawn Suisham tends to do that and, by rule, it's offsides. I think a better question is why our guys appeared to be standing around watching the ball, instead of going up after it like the Cardinals players did?

seriously...man people are so quick to hate on here.

youre not alone dude, im curious too. Id like to know a)if he did and B) if its legal. Thanks.

Thanks da#1... that's why I have so few posts here.... way quick to hate. Just what I thought was a decent question someone here on ES may have some insight on....

HTTR!

I don't think it matters at this point. Just take the W. IF you wanna gripe about something, join me in saying how much of a punk Neil Rackers is for picking a fight, and then not getting any detriment to his team for it. Then a Cardinals player happens to take out a ref. If it was Carlos and any of our players who did that, they'd get ejected.

Agreed. **** Neil Rackers he's a classless piece of ****. He deserved an ass-kicking for grabbing Carlos' facemask like he did. And I agree if Carlos or Taylor or one of our guys did that, they'd be ejected from the game. **** Neil Rackers **** him in his stupid ass.

Who cares we won

Obviously, the OP does... don't be a jackass. :)

Jerry Markbreit Answered this on "ChicagoSports.com"... I googled it, so I don't feel responsible if the answer is incorrect.

Jerry: Can a kicker be offsides on a kickoff? Near the end of this weekend's Packers-Vikings game, the Packers attempted an onside kick during which the (right-footed) kicker approached the ball from the left at an angle almost parallel to the 30-yard line. Before touching the ball, he planted his left foot across the 30-yard line. Isn't that offsides? -- Matt M., Evanston

Here is the rule regarding offsides on the kickoff. After the referee's whistle, prior to a free kick, all kicking team players must be inbounds and behind the ball when it is kicked. The holder of the kick, if he is necessary, may be beyond the line. The kicker may be beyond the line, with his plant foot, but his kicking foot may not be beyond the line until the ball is actually kicked. What you describe is perfectly legal. His plant foot was beyond the line, but his kicking foot was not.

While we're on the note of kicking/special teams, we saw on Sunday why blocking kicks can be so important. If we hadn't blocked it, they would've ended up tying the game up at 21-21 and the game would've gone to overtime. Because we blocked it, they were forced to go for 2 and we were able to stop it. Such a small play, such a big impact.

While we're on the note of kicking/special teams, we saw on Sunday why blocking kicks can be so important. If we hadn't blocked it, they would've ended up tying the game up at 21-21 and the game would've gone to overtime. Because we blocked it, they were forced to go for 2 and we were able to stop it. Such a small play, such a big impact.

Agreed. **** Neil Rackers he's a classless piece of ****. He deserved an ass-kicking for grabbing Carlos' facemask like he did. And I agree if Carlos or Taylor or one of our guys did that, they'd be ejected from the game. **** Neil Rackers **** him in his stupid ass.

Look at it like this. Lady Karma did her job as Mr. Rackers missed the potential game-winning field goal.

Archived