Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's In The Numbers: Why The 'Skins Have A Great Shot At Beating New England

[S.S.F. | Nero]

Technically, we could win. But with our team, it's never really a matter of facing a better team (though clearly the Pats are an extremely talented team), we have enough talent to beat any team in the NFL it's just that with this team it's will we play WELL enough and up to our full potential to win.

Simple as this, if we stop with the turnovers and dropping passes and actually execute like a respectable football team, it will be a good game.

Lions game = team deserving of a W

Packers/Giants = team deserving of a L

It's actually quite annoying. If we're going to lose, I wish it would be because we play better teams, not because we play like complete crap.

Also, numbers can mean a lot, but they can also mean jack. Any given Sunday....

']You're right. With this defense though' date=' we can open some eyes.

I've read on numerous websites that people around the league are beginning to eye the Redskins as a team to be well aware of.

You're right though, if we can't eliminate the mistakes, we'll go nowhere fast.[/quote']

if nothing else I'd feel real good about holding them to 20 points. With the O progressing over the season, we'd be ready for them in the Superbowl:)

I am optimistic for this game, its going to be the best defense that Tom brady has faced all season

Of course im still VERY SCARED...they already look like they are going to win the super bowl, but after 7 weeks or whatever this is definitely the team that has a chance to stop Brady, I just hope our offense shows up that day, and is actually consistent thru 4 quarters

John Riggins btw predicts the Redskins will beat the Patriots

No one seems to be mentioning our greatest advantage in this game. We will be HUDGE underdogs. The pats got seriously up for the Dallas game since it was "the battle of the 5-0 teams" but since we already have two loses and are playing up in NE no one will give us any chance. The media will be all about "the big showdown" the following week.

I guarantee Gibbs uses that to its full effect. This team loves the underdog role. Human nature being what it is NE will be feeling pretty invincible by the time the Skins bus pulls in. Once the game gets started our D will start putting the whammy on them and they won't know what hit 'em.

Really that game is going to be fun since we have nothing to lose and everything to win (exactly the opposite of our game this week).

:thumbsup:

If it means we will win then I like being "HUDGE" underdogs :cool:

Being a realist the Skins do not play disciplined enough football to beat a team like New England. Washington continues to kill themselves week in and week out with turnovers, penalties, and odd playcalling at critical times of the game. Teams with those characteristics do not beat the Patriots.

']***Disclaimer*** As a pre-emptive retort to the multitudes of super smart ES'ers that will be inclined to point out the Arizona game instead of taking this post and its 'non-Arizona' subject matter for what it's worth - I am NOT LOOKING PAST ARIZONA.

Nonetheless' date=' after we beat Arizona (if we can't beat Tim Rattay or a gimpy Kurt Warner, it's a lost cause to begin with, admit that much) we'll be going into hostile New England. Many here are already considering that game a loss. I am not one of those that are without stones. I decided to look at this year's standings and realized something that I felt should be brought out into the brighter light.

The New England Patriots, with a record of 6-0, stand atop the league and are thought by many to be on the verge of becoming one of the greatest teams ever assembled.......but they [b']are[/b] beatable.

The six teams that NE has defeated so far this season have a combined record of 14-20 (.411). This number is slightly skewed as it includes the Cowboys' 5-1 mark. Take away the Cowboy game and the Patriots' opponents' record stands at a gleaming 9-19 (.321).

Some of you may already be pointing to last week's drubbing of the Cowboys as proof positive that New England can contend with and beat good teams.

This assertion can also be questioned as one begins to examine Dallas' record.

The Cowboys' opponents' record is a robust 13-22 (.371). This number is also helped by the Patriots' 6-0 record. Without the Patriots game (a game which Dallas lost anyway) the Cowboys' opponents' record is a staggering 7-22 (.241).

This is not to imply that neither Dallas or New England are good football teams. They are.

The Redskins stand at 3-2 with two losses that were VERY WINNABLE.

The Redskins' opponents' record stands at 14-14 (.500).

Assuming for a moment that they had won the two games they could/should have won, their opponents' would still be a respectable 12-16 (.483)

The Patriots have yet to play a defense that is ranked in the top 10 in the league. In fact, 4 of their 6 wins have come against defenses that ranked in the bottom 5 defenses in the NFL.

The same people that were pointing toward the Cowboys earlier are now probably looking at the recent dismantling of their #11 defense by NE as proof that Tom and the Gang can beat real defenses. I'm not buying it.

The Cowboys' defense has only faced 2 teams that rank in the top half of the league on offense, the Patriots and the Giants. 4 of their 5 victories have come against teams that rank in the bottom third of the league on offense and 3 of those teams help make up the bottom 5 offenses in the league. The Cowboys' defense is overrated and it was exposed last Sunday and will continue to be exploited moving forward.

What should you, the Redskins' fan, take from all of this?

You should take pride in knowing that the Redskins have a real chance at derailing the Patriot Express.

Just look at the numbers.

and the other side of the coin.. who have the skins played and beat? they lost to two teams with winning records and beat the hapless lions and barely beat miami who now we all know how bad they are. so you pull out the records to compare for cowboys and New england, yet you don't do the same for the skins?

but lets not forget new england has dominated every opponent they have played. isn't that what a good team suppose to do? or are you not happy with the 38 clip they are scoring every game, specially when they are up by three scores in the 4th and they are putting all their subs...

if you want to give washington a chance...take another angle and you would find a better argument.....

and the other side of the coin.. who have the skins played and beat? they lost to two teams with winning records and beat the hapless lions and barely beat miami who now we all know how bad they are. so you pull out the records to compare for cowboys and New england, yet you don't do the same for the skins?

but lets not forget new england has dominated every opponent they have played. isn't that what a good team suppose to do? or are you not happy with the 38 clip they are scoring every game, specially when they are up by three scores in the 4th and they are putting all their subs...

if you want to give washington a chance...take another angle and you would find a better argument.....

Fair enough, we SHUT DOWN the best passing team in the nfl at the time. We SHUT DOWN another top offense n GB but a mistake cost us the game.

No one is saying that we are going to dominate the game, so let the dude have an oppinion. He is showing we have a chance, this is a forum to talk amongst fans right?

Okay, I like the original post for the most part...some good points. For me, I don't believe in the Pukes b/c of one thing. They struggled badly against the Bills. That's pitiful. HTTR

The Skins struggles mightily against the Dolphins, who are worse than the Bills. Do you believe in the Skins?

Furthermore, the Pats and Colts, I think, play each other the week after we play NE. Might catch them looking ahead to the Colts. Still, im not giving us much chance of going into NE and beating them. Not that we can't. But I just don't see it. But that's too far down the road. We need to take care of the Cards.

Belicheck has been coaching with a chip on his shoulder; he pretty much wants to destroy every team in the NFL by 3 touchdowns each and then deploy dual middle-fingers as they're handing him the Lombardi Trophy

Also, Belicheck is hell on rookie QBs

Campbell is in his 3rd year, dude.

I along with other don't want to get ahead of the games, but I can see us beating the pat's . We play only as good as the team we are playing it seems as if we are mirroring the other team instead of playing to our strength which aloud those team a change to get back into the game. If the coaches would use everything they have at their disposal than , we will see just what we've been waiting to see a Joe Gibb's team everyone getting touches ,3 or 4 different play makers and scores . Looking forward to seeing a very go games against the Cards and a upset against the Patriots GO SKINS #1 Super Bowl Champs 2007

I am not counting on a win, but if we get one my roomate will never hear the end of it. He is a Patriot's fan and he tells me every Sunday the Redskins suck. If they beat the Patriots he may have to wear my Landry jersey on monday. Wait- I'm wearing my effing jersey on Monday if we win! he can wear it on Tuesday.

Archived