Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Are Overrating the Lions' D-Line

method man

I know after we lost to the Giants, we don't want to be in the business of underrating teams anymore. However, it has gotten to the point where we are starting to overrate teams. One aspect of the Lions I am seeing being overvalued is their defensive line. The only great player they have is a banged up Shaun Rogers, who is still suffering from knee problems. Redding is overrated and had a fluke year last year; he is also a smallish guy at 295, which will make it easy to run on him. Their DEs Corey Smith and DeWayne White are Andre-Carter-pass-rush types. Yes, White is good, but he will be going against Samuels. Smith is a backup who is subbing in for another average DE in Kalimba Edwards. These two are not very good against the run. I've seen posts saying that we shouldn't even bother running, because we can't run on Rogers. Did everyone forget about how Portis and the line manhandled the most potent DT combo in the league (Henderson and Stroud) a year ago? Is everyone so down on a top rushing attack that they don't feel that he will be able to have success against an undersized pass rusher and a gimpy nose tackle?

Last Years OL > This Years OL

I do think we will be able to run all over these ***** cats though...but JC may see some pressure, I'm thinking he goes down thrice.

That's true, because we have no Thomas, but we still have possibly the best left side in football.

With Moss being out anyway, we really have to use the run to set up the long bomb to ARE, a guy who I am not sure has the ability to handle the coverage given to a no. 1 WR.

Fabini and Wade need to step up. Our whole offense better not be dysfunctional because they can't get it together.

Wade has been pretty decent so far, at least better than Jansen was in the preseason. I think the problem there is Fabini, who sucks in the running game.

I think most of us were very cautious about the Giants two weeks ago, it's just that a lot of people thought we would win a close battle rather than lose one.

I hope this game is ends up like the Skins vs Rams game two years ago, to where we're rushing so well that even Rock gets some carries. :)

Their D-Line is pretty talented, that doesn't mean they can stop us in the running game. It is more than 4 linemen on running plays, their backers aren't anything special, and their secondary is horrible. I think we will have a mix of plays that we break for big gains because we didn't allow their line to penetrate and their backers went down easy, and a mix of plays where one of their linemen will just blow up a play in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. I think we will have an average rushing attack, but if we honestly can't take advantage of their secondary in the passing game, and we don't unleash Jason Campbell/Chris Cooley, we won't put up many points.

I'll agree that this game could be a building block towards the cohesion of our OL. Buges should use their weak DL, along with our two 1000 yard backs and our young QB as an opportunity to hold on to the ball for 40 minutes of the game.

The only possible problem with this is that I was thinking that we'd be able to do the same thing with the Giants's line, and - well - they stopped us from running the ball, and came back and won the game. But whats the likelihood of that happening two weeks in a row? GO SKINS!!!!

Did I not tell you guys that these bums were overrated? Our OLine dominated them especially when we were passing.

I don't know if you were right or not (though for this specific game, you were right in that respect), because they absolutely dominated the Bears' offensive line. The Bears' line isn't the best, but the Lions were still dominant nonetheless. I was really impressed at how well our Oline handled their Dline.

I think both our lines deserve game balls today.

Archived