Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell....UNLEASHED

KevinthePRF

i think they should let Jason just make some plays and stop holding his hand!

Hello? They "let" him make several plays in the Giants game alone.Especially at the end of the game. And have given him more than just a few opportunities to make some more. Unsure how they have been holding his hand with that in mind.

I would put more faith in your argument if we didn't run left two times in a row with similar results on the last drive of the game, and got stuffed at the goal line.

If we ran a pass play and Campbell was sacked, fumbled the ball and the New York Giants recovered it ... or ... the ball was intercepted ... would you not have complained about the play calling?

If we can not run the ball in near the goalline, then we do not deserve the win.

I think many of you are starting to understand that it's the coaching staff on this team making the decisions on what play to run, not the QB. This offense looks NO different under JC than it did under the much maligned Mark Brunell. I've been trying to get this point across now for over a year.

It was not Brunell's decision to hit the short stuff game in and game out just as it's not JC's decision now. Those are the plays that are called.

H

Well when it was Brunell everybody assumed that since he was a 15 year vet and he was dinking and dunking that it was because he didn't have the balls or the arm to throw downfield.

I agree that it's the coaching. At least by everybody blaming Gibbs and Saunders it proves that people aren't turning on Campbell like they did with Brunell.

I just want to see then go deep on bad DB's and then if Campbell overthrows do the same thing the next down too. They wouldn't expect it at all.

Well, the problem for me wasn't the run/pass ratio. The problem to me was that, in the second half, we COMPLETELY abandoned any idea of a deep passing game. We stopped running deep routes, were running all short crosses, button hooks and flat routes. We stayed primarily in our 1 and 2 WR sets, not putting speed on the field. We didn't vary up our first down playcalling, it was all runs or short little flats screens. Basically, we stopped making aggressive play calls, allowed the defense to continue packing the box and creeping the secondary up and by the time we tried to make them pay for it, they already had the lead, were expecting us to go downfield and were waiting for it.

see the failed bomb to santana in the philly game as evidence of this great point.

i see the problem as two things. the coaches are coaching not to lose instead of coaching to put the game away. the other problem is that i think the coaches are scared of jason making a mistake and letting the other team back in the game so they call short safe passes and running plays to try to chew up the clock.

if the coaches just came out of the locker room at halftime and said ok its 0-0 again lets go out and win this thing i think that our team could really be special.

Hello? They "let" him make several plays in the Giants game alone.Especially at the end of the game. And have given him more than just a few opportunities to make some more. Unsure how they have been holding his hand with that in mind.

I think the poster was thinking in a general sense, PCS. The Skins are #7 in rushing plays, #24 in passes attempted. The passes thrown down seven with five minutes to play are not indicative of opening up the offense as a strategy.

The Giants came into the game with opponents passing at a Hall of Fame 125.6 rate. They defend the run much better than the pass. So, the first thought is that this would be an ideal game to unleash Campbell. The counter-argument is that Wade and Fabini needed two TE sets for support which limits the passing game.

I think the poster was thinking in a general sense, PCS. The Skins are #7 in rushing plays, #24 in passes attempted. The passes thrown down seven with five minutes to play are not indicative of opening up the offense as a strategy.

The Giants came into the game with opponents passing at a Hall of Fame 125.6 rate. They defend the run much better than the pass. So, the first thought is that this would be an ideal game to unleash Campbell. The counter-argument is that Wade and Fabini needed two TE sets for support which limits the passing game.

I got that part, and while I understand and can look like that on the surface, one look at the games and when he did throw says to me something a little different. Certainly the Redskins are a run first pass second type team so the rankings aren't all that big of a surprise. Now, where the Giants game is concerned, when they absolutely needed to let him go, they did. And overall, he did well. Though he still has work to do. Now I will concede that maybe the coaches do play to that need for development and don't call quite as many passes as they could, but that's on Jason, not the coaches. Oh, and agreed with Fabini and such.

Well when it was Brunell everybody assumed that since he was a 15 year vet and he was dinking and dunking that it was because he didn't have the balls or the arm to throw downfield.

I agree that it's the coaching. At least by everybody blaming Gibbs and Saunders it proves that people aren't turning on Campbell like they did with Brunell.

I think you need to go deeper in your analysis. It was the turnover paranoid Joe Gibbs who brought Brunell, the "game manager," here in the first place. Brunell didn't have to be told to play the game conservatively.

Many fans blamed Mark for being Mark because they are reluctant to criticiize Joe Gibbs.

All Obi Wan was doing was trying to give young Anakin patience. When the caca hit the fan, he let him unleash his power.

In Episode 2 Anakin wanted to take down Dooku by himself and got electricuted and his arm cut off...had he just listened to Obi Wan, he wouldn't have had to put a metal claw on Padme's back during love time.

I can see that Gibbs has tried to bring Campbell along slowly...having him #3 the 1st year and a half...this was only his 10th start.

I think it was HUGE for Gibbs, Campbell and the team the last play before the half in Philly...letting him toss it into the end zone in between 3 defenders into Cooley's hands.

Let's give it some time...I don't think Campbell will fall into hot lava.

:applause: :notworthy :laugh:

I got that part, and while I understand and can look like that on the surface, one look at the games and when he did throw says to me something a little different. Certainly the Redskins are a run first pass second type team so the rankings aren't all that big of a surprise. Now, where the Giants game is concerned, when they absolutely needed to let him go, they did. And overall, he did well. Though he still has work to do. Now I will concede that maybe the coaches do play to that need for development and don't call quite as many passes as they could, but that's on Jason, not the coaches. Oh, and agreed with Fabini and such.

While there are mitigating factors in the Giants game, it's our "establish the run" strategy that I question. In this era of NFL parity, we are never going to dominate in the running game against all opponents.

Last year we were running the ball against the #1 rush defense in the NFL, the Vikings, even when behind in the second half. In contrast, New England played them later in the year and had Brady in the shotgun for all but seven plays picking apart the Vikes weak secondary. NE won 31-7.

Or could it be we have the entire right side of the line being manned by backups, and we used those TEs for protection?

This isn't yard ball. Strahan doesn't have to to count five mississippi.

~Bang

The right side of the ball just fine. My issue is ball distribution. If the defense knows that there is just 1 or 2 guys that your going to throw to it kind of makes it yard ball doesn't it.

Maybe it's not holding back Cambell but more of waiting for a viable third wide receiver to step up.

Caldwell and now this look at McCardell, it all screams that they want to open it up downfield more but might be lacking a vital cog to do that.

That's plausible.

That's plausible.

It is that.

I doubt Gibbs would have had Doug Williams or Mark Rypien air it out if he wasn't throwing to Clark, Sanders and Monk. I was trying to think of some "spare" type receivers of the time to compare but Moss and ARE are great, well at least good, but we still need another wideout to make them respect the "trips" and spread formations.

Oh what I would give to have something close to the posse for young Jason to show off that cannon.

I think people (myself included) took issue with the 9 billion screen passes thrown.

Yeah, and I dont know why but we definitely didn't pass like we did against Philadelphia. How is that? It doesnt make sense at all. And NY's secondary is more banged up.

We were spreading the ball so much more against Philadelphia, it felt like every person on offense was catching the ball.

Why did we play more conservative? Or was NY just playing better?

Oh what I would give to have something close to the posse for young Jason to show off that cannon.

I am not in favor of human cloning, but another Art Monk, Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders playing for the Redskins would be nice.

By the way, who is our wide receivers coach? People talk about Gibbs should go, but maybe this guy should go and Art Monk should be hired.

Art Monk teaching the wide receivers sounds interesting and if Monk could somehow turn Lloyd into a great receiver then maybe those idiots at the Hall of Fame would smarter up and put Monk in, where he belongs.

I am not in favor of human cloning, but another Art Monk, Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders playing for the Redskins would be nice.

By the way, who is our wide receivers coach? People talk about Gibbs should go, but maybe this guy should go and Art Monk should be hired.

Art Monk teaching the wide receivers sounds interesting and if Monk could somehow turn Lloyd into a great receiver then maybe those idiots at the Hall of Fame would smarter up and put Monk in, where he belongs.

Stan Hixon, his third year with us. He has a pretty good track record. He played wideout at Iowa State in the 70's. Whenever I think Iowa State, I think of Sage, that didn't work out so well either though we all knew he was just backup fodder at best.

I remember in the games @ NO & home vs NY last year it seemed like we were picking up 10+ yards per play (obviously part of that was Betts getting 10+ on every other play). Most of the passes were caught for a 10+ yard gain, plus any running afterward. On Sunday there were very few completions where the throw & catch alone resulted in a 10+ yard gain. When we finally were calling some deper routes (the final drive), they got us to the 1. I think it has to be the playcalling.

It is that.

I doubt Gibbs would have had Doug Williams or Mark Rypien air it out if he wasn't throwing to Clark, Sanders and Monk. I was trying to think of some "spare" type receivers of the time to compare but Moss and ARE are great, well at least good, but we still need another wideout to make them respect the "trips" and spread formations.

Who was the offensive coordinater during gibbs first year I know Dan Henning was it for awhile but I think he went to Atlanta, Gibbs preferred style of ball went away around 88 and the skins opened up more

Archived