Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What We Need To Work On During the Bye Week

skins4eva

Guys,

An incredibly heartbreaking, completely unacceptable loss to an inferior, division opponent in our house. It really makes me wonder about Gibbs. In his first incarnation, he was the master of the halftime adjustment. Yesterday, the Giants obviously made adjustments, meanwhile, we probably all took a nap during halftime. Unacceptable.

In 2004, I started several threads pleading that this coaching staff needed to implement the shotgun. Now, the senior citizens need another wake up call. At the top of my list of things this team needs to work on:

1) 2-minute drill/no-huddle offense.

Why??? If Gibbs says that this team will be in a dogfight every week (great confidence in our team--but that's an entirely different topic) than it's just ridiculous that we look as pathetic as we do in 2 minute drills. Every other team in the league could run some version of the no huddle expect for us. We should practice it for the next two weeks straight.

2) Playcalling

This offense is going to hold us back all season. We're not even good for 21 points a game--3 touchdowns! The playcalling is absolutely horrendous. I've been extremely unhappy with it since Gibbs returned, but I'm even more unhappy with Saunders. He has absolutely no sense for the flow of a game. We never get into any kind of flow on offense. Perhaps instead of having a 700 page playbook, he should find 50 plays that work and call variations of them throughout the game. I've had it with this offense holding this whole team back. Defense and special teams are playing well enough--offense is a complete dissapointment.

3) Give Portis the Ball

I like Betts. I think he's a great backup. But, he's a backup--nothing more. A starter in this league doesn't trip over his own two feet at the goaline and then claim the Giants knew our snap count! At least man up and say you tripped. We only ran the ball 27 times against the Giants....why did we lose the game??? There's your answer. This team should be rushing the ball 35-45 times a game. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

4) Spread out the offense

If we want to win in the 21st century, we've got to play 21st century football. No one is saying you can't run out of a 4-wide receiver set. We clog everything up with all these tight formations and then we wonder why the running lanes don't exist. Please, please, please spread this offense out!!!!

During the bye week, it needs to be settled that Saunders has complete control of this offense. This is not something that he presently enjoys, despite claims to the contrary by Frere Gibbs.

A second - and necessary - adjustment during the bye: a three receiver set means nothing when Thrash is in the game. He's useless and no real threat as a receiver. Play Lloyd, or activate Caldwell. We signed this guy, and he's been inactive for two weeks straight? There were receivers on other teams signed during the same period who've played for their new squads and produced.

The one thing I'll add to the thread is simply this.....

If Gibbs and Co. give this team the bye week off, I will truly believe the entire coaching staff needs to be immediately relieved of their positions. There are too many things that need to be worked on, both by the coaches and the players for the next TWO WEEKS. If this team isn't completely ready for the Lions in two weeks I will have lost what small amount of faith I have in this coaching staff.

The bizzare thing to me is that Gibbs started to turn his offense into a no huddle offense towards the end of the 1991 season and to start the 1992 season

I really think if the O picked up the pace a bit and tried to mix it up with some no huddle we could do some things

I think after 10 starts, it really is time to take off the shackles off JC and let him do his thing

The bizzare thing to me is that Gibbs started to turn his offense into a no huddle offense towards the end of the 1991 season and to start the 1992 season

I really think if the O picked up the pace a bit and tried to mix it up with some no huddle we could do some things

I think after 10 starts, it really is time to take off the shackles off JC and let him do his thing

We have no continuity on offense at all. It's ok to let Campbell pass the ball on two consecutive downs. It's ok to run the ball out of a spread offense. It just seems like there's absolutely no creativity or thought on the offensive side of the ball. We seem to play not to lose rather than to win. It's pathetic. But, what can you expect? Joe Gibbs has NO killer instinct, and it's hurting this entire team.

the big problem is Joe Gibbs and his lack of killer instinct. if you have a team down 17-3 at the half.

You need to dominate them. You need to pound them into the ground. You need to bruise them and break them. Joe Gibbs simply doesn't have the balls to do it.

We also need to work on the fake spike play! We could have easily scored on it when we were on the 1.

I thought the EXACT same thing. We had 50 seconds after the spike, we could have run a quick pass play where we roll campbell out to either pass it or run the ball in, if there's nothing there he throws the ball away and you reach the same conclusion you do if you just spike the ball.

the big problem is Joe Gibbs and his lack of killer instinct. if you have a team down 17-3 at the half.

You need to dominate them. You need to pound them into the ground. You need to bruise them and break them. Joe Gibbs simply doesn't have the balls to do it.

Sadly, I completely agree. This team feels old and slow not young and hungry, even though we have young players. We always seem like we're moving in slow motion on offense. It's pathetic and completely unacceptable.

The Coaching staff needs work as well as the team!

Te last couple of plays during hte game just left me completely Befuttled!!!!

Open up the offense convert on 3rd down!!

It was some of the absolute WORST--check that--the WORST playcalling I have ever seen. This offensive coaching staff is pathetic.

1st & Goal at the 1, 0:58 seconds left.

Why spike it? Do we not have an idea of what we'd like to do in these type of scenarios ahead of time? OR do we just 'make it up as we go'?

Are we afraid to **** up, or afraid to succeed?

To get into OT you can't get 3 feet, in 4 plays, with a minute to do it, at home, in your uber-cool yellow gear, against a divisional foe, to go 3-0 into a bye, in a game that you led by 14 at half- is this our identity?

1st & Goal at the 1, 0:58 seconds left.

Why spike it? Do we not have an idea of what we'd like to do in these type of scenarios ahead of time? OR do we just 'make it up as we go'?

Are we afraid to **** up, or afraid to succeed?

To get into OT you can't get 3 feet, in 4 plays, with a minute to do it, at home, in your uber-cool yellow gear, against a divisional foe, to go 3-0 into a bye, in a game that you led by 14 at half- is this our identity?

Sadly, it is. What I saw out of that coaching staff yesterday (the offensive coaching staff) is enough to make me think changes must be made. If Gibbs is going to coach scared, he needs to retire! If, after four years back, he can't get a handle on time management and the two minute drill--he needs to retire. That was the worst loss we've had in years.

I agree. Gibbs wanted to kill them with the power running game....well there is no power running game right now, at least not yesterday. Campbell can get the ball downfield, he has a very strong arm, and the coaches didn't utilize it until the score was tied and by then it was predictable. They got a lot of work to do these next 2 weeks.

Also, I pray that these coaches wake up and realize betts and CP are not the same guy. Betts - 7 rushes for 9 yds, portis - 14 rushes for 60 yds and a TD. Wake up coaches, CP is clearly our #1 back and to think otherwise is unacceptable. I'm pretty angry today, but our coaches can fix this.

Work on scoring 30 points against the lions. I'm not asking for the 50 the iggles did but if we actually open up the offense let Saunders call plays as was seen when he was with the CHEFs.

I sometimes feel like 30 points might as well be 100 hundred points with this offense.

There's only one thing wrong with the team; they don't know how to close. Gibbs changes his strategy when we lead and plays to contain. This is the problem. Teams have learned to adjust too well at the half and we got burnt because we weren't aggressive enough. Basically, if the Skins had played the second half like the score was 0-0 instead of 17-3, we would have won. Skins have to learn to go for the throat when its exposed instead of nursing their leads.

There's only one thing wrong with the team; they don't know how to close. Gibbs changes his strategy when we lead and plays to contain. This is the problem. Teams have learned to adjust too well at the half and we got burnt because we weren't aggressive enough. Basically, if the Skins had played the second half like the score was 0-0 instead of 17-3, we would have won. Skins have to learn to go for the throat when its exposed instead of nursing their leads.
This, I agree with.

We will lose to the Lions, unless all their best players get hurt between now and when we play.

The team has no heart and no confidence. No ability to execute plays or match the other team's will. Yesterday was a horribly pathetic performance and all the players and coaches should be begging the fans' forgiveness.

A good team would come back and smash Detroit in the mouth but I'm sure we will lay down like dogs and let them humiliate us even further. This loss will cause our season to unravel, no doubt about it at all. It will be an uphill climb just getting back to 5 wins again.

Bitter rant over.

And was it me or did everyone notice that everytime they showed a Redskins player they looked ultimately confused both on and off the field on camera during the last few minutes.

I agree they need to own those 2 minute drills there is no excuse for that debauchery yesterday!!

A confused team leads to frustration and a frustrated team will fall apart.

Now I know its only one loss but its one loss too many in our division right now.

Then those Cowboys and Romo sits to pee the H*mo give me another reason to want to play in traffic!

Archived