Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs II looked more like Gibbs I

skinfan31

Last night I really feel that, after 3 full years back in DC, we finally got to see the Gibbs of old. When he decided with 14 seconds left in the first half to kick the field goal I don't think anyone could of dissagreed with him. Not after the debacle of the previous 35 seconds or so. Two false starts and a delay of game penalty had everyone thinking here we go again. It took alot of the momentum away. After Reid decided to freeze Suisham, Gibbs looked like the confiendent coach that put him in the Hall and decided to take a shot. That to me was the defining moment that made me feel that Redskin football is finally back!

Does anyone else out there feel that same as me. This is the year that we beat the teams we are supposed to beat and make strides to be a consistant winner. I'm always proud to be a Skin's fan. But today I have reason to believe in a winner and many good things to come.

:eaglesuck

Every Redskin player played their guts out for a full 60 minutes; that looks like a Joe Gibbs football team.

indeed... there were super-smart, courageous guts all over that field at the end of the night. ;)

Seriously, that looked like an old, dominant Gibbs team. Winning the battle in the trenches, dominating time of possession, wearing the other team down... and mixing in some deep balls to speedy wideouts. BEAUTIFUL!

This Joe Gibbs also took more chances than he would have in the past. I think of the play where Campbell overthrew a wide open Santana Moss downfield in the fourth quarter. Previously, Gibbs would have run the ball -- which I actually was hoping he'd do. But, it actually was refreshing to see him take that shot. Also, near the end of the first half, when we had those three straight penalties, Gibbs previously would have gone for the field goal. But, for whatever reason, he decided to go for the six and got it via Campbell-to-Cooley. Nice to see him take more chances and playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

I think that decision right before the half, showed AMAZING trust into Campbell. It showed trust, confidence and only helps Campbell grow even more.

Guys, regardless what happens this year and next year in Gibbs final year. He has built a quality team and found us a great future QB. We should be good to go with him for years to come.

This Joe Gibbs also took more chances than he would have in the past. I think of the play where Campbell overthrew a wide open Santana Moss downfield in the fourth quarter. Previously, Gibbs would have run the ball -- which I actually was hoping he'd do. But, it actually was refreshing to see him take that shot. Also, near the end of the first half, when we had those three straight penalties, Gibbs previously would have gone for the field goal. But, for whatever reason, he decided to go for the six and got it via Campbell-to-Cooley. Nice to see him take more chances and playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

I wanted to list that play as well. It's great to see a more aggressive style. Too bad Campbell didn't hit him. But I like the idea. More time under center for Campbell and soon we will hit those plays.

Gibbs is still petrified of "what might happen" if he doesn't play it safe, and that's not good. The fact that he sent that field goal unit out to begin with is a testament to his continued insecurity. He eventually made the decision most other NFL coaches would have made, but it took him three times as long to do it. He has to show a lot more gusto to me before I stop distinguishing between Gibbs I and Gibbs II. Poor game management and weak decisions have tarnished his second tenure year, and last nights nearly vaginal decision did not help his case.

Gibbs is still petrified of "what might happen" if he doesn't play it safe, and that's not good. The fact that he sent that field goal unit out to begin with is a testament to his continued insecurity. He eventually made the decision most other NFL coaches would have made, but it took him three times as long to do it. He has to show a lot more gusto to me before I stop distinguishing between Gibbs I and Gibbs II. Poor game management and weak decisions have tarnished his second tenure year, and last nights nearly vaginal decision did not help his case.

I could understand this coming from a Cowboy fan, but I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous.

Did you not see everything that transpired last night during that whole episode? We are on the friggin 2-yard line, and got penalty after penalty. Gibbs has been relieved of the accusations of "coaching scared" that everyone claimed because of the choice he made against the Phins last week. What he said about how he didn't want bad things to happen and just wanted to put the game away rings incredibly true after seeing that. It was simply unbelievable, and had we Andy Reid not have had a brain fart and took a timeout, we would've definitely kicked the field goal and rightfully so. The team was confused, and the refs screwed Fabini over on the second false start call. It was clear that the Eagles baited him.

Gibbs did the right thing. Get off of his friggin case for once.

I think that decision right before the half, showed AMAZING trust into Campbell. It showed trust, confidence and only helps Campbell grow even more.

Gotta agree with that one. Surely this action alone will boost JC's confidence, especially as he pulled it off!

I could understand this coming from a Cowboy fan, but I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous.

Did you not see everything that transpired last night during that whole episode? We are on the friggin 2-yard line, and got penalty after penalty. Gibbs has been relieved of the accusations of "coaching scared" that everyone claimed because of the choice he made against the Phins last week. What he said about how he didn't want bad things to happen and just wanted to put the game away rings incredibly true after seeing that. It was simply unbelievable, and had we Andy Reid not have had a brain fart and took a timeout, we would've definitely kicked the field goal and rightfully so. The team was confused, and the refs screwed Fabini over on the second false start call. It was clear that the Eagles baited him.

Gibbs did the right thing. Get off of his friggin case for once.

Some fans, like you, are complacent. Others, like me, are not. I want to win a superbowl, so I want to fix all our problems. He's been coaching scared going on 4 years now. I'm not gonna get off his case until he makes a string of good decisions that give me a reason to. That on top of poor game management is too much for me to forgive after one half-decent decision. I can be as critical as I want, thanks. Nothing wrong with demanding a certain standard of quality from a HOF coach.

I hear what you are saying. But bottom line is last night was the first glimpse of the Gibbs of old. The "vaginal decision" didn't take place. That's the difference.

Some fans, like you, are complacent. Others, like me, are not. I want to win a superbowl, so I want to fix all our problems. He's been coaching scared going on 4 years now. I'm not gonna get off his case until he makes a string of good decisions that give me a reason to. That on top of poor game management is too much for me to forgive after one half-decent decision. I can be as critical as I want, thanks. Nothing wrong with demanding a certain standard of quality from a HOF coach.

Where was the poor game management? I'm not so sure that the game clock did reset after Randle El's play or not.{if that is what you are talking about} He more than made up for it with his call to go for it.

The decision to take a deep shot to Moss late in the game was the first time since he's been back he's tried to really put the nail in the coffin. It didn't work last night, but he still took the chance.

What I'm saying with this thread is, finally, last night, gave us a view of Gibbs I for the FIRST time since he's been back.

The thing is, those penalties never would've happened with Gibbs I. We would've pounded it in on 2 & Goal from the 1 after the spike.

For those of us who experienced Joe Gibbs I, we never doubted Joe Gibbs. The NFL is vastly different between Joe Gibbs I and Joe Gibbs II; but Joe Gibbs knows that great effort is needed to be successful.

In 2005 Joe Gibbs Redskins came within one game of going to the Superbowl and the way they did it was a dominant running game and a dominant defense. Injuries on the OL and to QB were the reason we lost in the 2nd playoff game. That team that year looked like a Joe Gibbs coached team. That team gave great effort.

In 2006 everything came apart. I believe that the reason was that when Joe hired Al Saunders to run the offense he pulled away from directly interacting with the team in order to let Greg and Al have more autonomy. Injuries to the defensive and the fact that the offense was learning a new scheme were factors; but to me the team did not play with the heart of a Joe Gibbs team last year.

In 2007 I think that Joe Gibbs took back overall control of the Redskins team and it shows in the intensity, focus, and heart of the entire team. So far this years team is giving great effort and that is what we expect from a Joe Gibbs coached team.

Some interesting (and ignorant) comments in this thread.

1. Al Saunders calls the plays, not Gibbs. AS called the long bomb. AS called the TD play to Cooley. Gibbs made the decision to go for it, but the play was Al's.

2. It's already been explained what happened on the TD play. The officials stopped then restarted the clock, which led to confusion on the sidelines. Half the FG unit was running on the field, and without a TO, Gibbs decided to go for the FG. Then when Reid called the TO (stupidly so), Gibbs decided to go for it all.

3. As to the back-to-back penalties not happening under Gibbs I, give Fabini a break. He's thrust into playing a position he's not used to (he's experienced at LG), playing in a noisy and hostile stadium, and he made a couple of mistakes. He played a helluva game overall.

4. "Previously, Gibbs would have run the ball..." Gibbs often went for the jugular to put the game away. He wasn't solely about pounding it out, although he did that often also.

5. Gibbs has been more conservative due to what he's had to work with. He's finally getting the players he needs to play the way he wants to. That said, Gibbs was often conservative in his first tenure; he was known for the power running game. When he had the talent he wanted, like in 1991, he was much more wide open. It depended on the particular team.

The thing is, those penalties never would've happened with Gibbs I. We would've pounded it in on 2 & Goal from the 1 after the spike.

Gibbs was responsible for one of the penalties, Fabini just had rust that he had to work off on the other two.

But no way you run the ball on the 2nd and goal at the 1. We had zero timeouts. If we don't make it in there, the eagles will jump on top of the runner to waste all the time. We had no timeouts. We would have been screwed. Passing was our only option.

As someone else said, the bomb to Moss in the 4th quarter showed more confidence. Yeah, it wasn't a completion, but it proved that this team will at least try to put a team away, instead of just running the ball with a lead in the 4th quarter. I like it.

And yes, Saunders calls the plays now, but I never saw as much of a difference as others did between what he does and and what Gibbs did, especially in the later years of Gibbs I. Saunders always runs the ball a lot....Faulk, Holmes, Johnson all had great years in his offense. Then he would attack with the deep ball. Yeah, there are some different formations, etc, but look at what Gibbs did from '87-'92. High-powered offense that put points on the board. I expect this team to become more like that by the end of the season with our young leader gaining more and more experience every week.

This Joe Gibbs also took more chances than he would have in the past. I think of the play where Campbell overthrew a wide open Santana Moss downfield in the fourth quarter. Previously, Gibbs would have run the ball

Come on man. That pretty easy to explain

chair.jpg:

Gibbs was responsible for one of the penalties, Fabini just had rust that he had to work off on the other two.

But no way you run the ball on the 2nd and goal at the 1. We had zero timeouts. If we don't make it in there, the eagles will jump on top of the runner to waste all the time. We had no timeouts. We would have been screwed. Passing was our only option.

I don't think a lot of people realize that. The penalties really made no difference to the FG attempt, and actually created room for the pass play to develop. Still, sloppy game management was evident on that series. Luckily, Reid's bonehead timeout pulled us out of the fire. Along with a great pass/catch/protection.

I'm willing to forgive Fabini for those penalties considering the circumstances, although 2 is pushing it. JC has had problems enunciating his cadence in the past, and I'm sure the stink was loud. Hopefully, working with the 1st team will eliminate this prob for Fabini.

Archived