Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL's toughest waiting lists

hokie4redskins

A waitlist so tough, yet all 155,000 of it's members have received email offers to purchase single game tickets in the days leading up to the home opener. LOL!

A waitlist so tough, yet Craigslist and the ES classifieds are bleeding with single game and season ticket offers at face value. LOL!

The five year waitlist is little more than a marketing tool to lure people into premium seating packages.

If you tell people they can't have something they want, the object of desire seems all the more attractive.

If you give people what they want for what seems like just a little more money, you've figured out the game.

I wonder if the Redskins should implement a yearly fee for being on the list. I know other teams do this. Do they want to artificially inflate the wait list or do they want people that are serious about being on there? I think they would want people that are serious about being on there to help out their ticket office and such.

So charge people for waiting on a list? :doh: Sounds like a Dan Snyder idea.

There are not 155' date='000 people who want season tickets. There are 155,000 names.

It's a marketing ploy.

My guess is that there are probably 15,000 to 25,000 people seeking season tickets. And probably 3,000 to 4,000 tickets are available each year.[/quote']

Clearly...That was my point. Snyder would rather have your email/ address etc. and the "wait list" notoriety than $50/per to be on the list.

In trying to sell my tix in the secondary market, it appears that the supply, by far, exceeds demand....at face and below.

Snyder likes the big list because he can use it for marketing purposes. He make his money by charging a $50 fee for every new season ticket holder's seat.

Might be that buyers know they don't get the rights. Might be your seats just aren't that great.

My seats are by far better than what you get coming off the list...and I covered the $142 in tax and the $316 for preseason! Nothing...and there are similar offers a plenty.

I signed up for tickets about 6 years ago and just this summer I got the call.

I think the waiting list isn't really as long as its made out to be. I'm not saying the number is off, but its a bit skewed because the tickets are so expensive. Just because people are on the list doesn't mean they can afford them when the tickets are available. I think that keeping your contact information up to date with the season ticket office is a must, or else you'll never get notice. Also, many longtime season ticket holders are giving up their seats because they are tired of shelling out the money for them with the latest hike in prices (I think this is most apparent on club level).

One family friend said he was put on the list by his parents when he was first born. He finally was eligible for tickets when he was 26. A physical therapist at work said her husband waited around 36 years for his tickets. I have heard of people who have been on the list even before the move to FedEx, so I don't really understand why I and others on ES have been chosen so quickly.

I don't have any proof to back this up, but based on stories from friends and relatives and my own experience with the waiting list, I'd have to say that the Skins are aiming season tickets to younger fans who would be eager and willing to pay the higher prices for tickets, and are more likely to keep them in the long run.

I've been on it since 2003. Still waiting (we buy the tix we have from a friend).

If people are not getting any notifications trying to sell the premium seats or tickets returned by visiting teams, then I would guess that maybe your contact info is not up to date. I haven't gotten any phone calls, but I get emails regularly.

As for the number being inflated, that doesn't surprise me. I'm sure people will put their spouse, kids, even pets' names on there in the hope of one of them coming up early.

Another thing to consider is that how many are available depends on how many people give them up. I bet last year, there weren't as many because the Skins ended the '05 season strong, so there were high hopes. So how the Redskins are playing has an effect too. Also...didn't it pretty much double when Gibbs came back?

Also, the reason there are so many on the secondary market is because people don't want to go (all of) the games, but don't want to give up their tickets, which makes sense. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of business owned seats too.

Archived