Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Racing

PosseLover

Can't wait to see the particulars of this deal. Huge coup for Toyota. They must've thrown a crapload of money at Gibbs Racing.

I wonder if Kyle Busch was given any inkling that this was a possibility when he signed on with Gibbs for next year. Can't say I'd feel too bad for him, since he's in the running with Harvick this year for the crybaby award, and I'm glad Junior is replacing him at Hendrick (no offense to Coach Joe, but I'm a Hendrick man).

J.J. Yeley might end up with the best part of this deal yet.

(And this thread probably should be relocated to the Tailgate.)

Toyota, Are you serious? Tony will hate that next year...once his contract is up, I bet he bolts to a Chevy.

Don't kid yourself, Gibbs is no fool, and mainly runs the business end of the company. His tech people are as good as any. Toyota wants the big name, and there not going to do a half hearted program for him.

Remember, they sell more cars then Chevy for a reason.

Toyota, Are you serious? Tony will hate that next year...once his contract is up, I bet he bolts to a Chevy.

Guys, this really isn't as big a deal as some of you are making it out to be. With everyone going exclusively with the COT next year, there really won't be any difference in the actual body of the car. It's more about whether or not JGR can get up to speed on their engine programs fast enough. And it seems there are a few Toyota teams that have slowly gotten more competitive as the season has progressed. The first 19, 20 races Waltrip and Jarrett rarely made it in a race on speed. But they have been much better of late making races. Especially Waltrip. Dave Blaney has also gotten better. Likewise with Brian Vickers. And none of those teams will have near the resources that Joe Gibbs Racing will have with Toyota next year. I think alot of folks are just upset with the thought of Toyota being in Nascar. But you have to get over that. Toyota is in nearly every form of racing out there. And there's no reason why they shouldn't.

Don't kid yourself, Gibbs is no fool, and mainly runs the business end of the company. His tech people are as good as any. Toyota wants the big name, and there not going to do a half hearted program for him.

Remember, they sell more cars then Chevy for a reason.

I agree. There is definitely a reason they chose to go with Toyota.

I am curious to see how they do next season.

GO JGR!

Its definitely a solid move IMO. Yes Toyota has been having troubles in the Nextel series, but are solid in the Busch series, and Truck series. Once Toyota got the idea that their engine package in the Nextel series was off due to the differences in the car, they became more and more competitive. I tend to believe that if they had the drivers to back it up they would have won a few by now.

This will be the last season I can root for any JGR car. I don't care if somebody makes all the COT cars exactly alike and it's just a matter of a different sticker on it. I will not support a team with a foreign car sponsor. Pure and simple.

Agree 1000%

Some of you know how I feel about "today’s" Nascar and if JGR is truly switching to Toyota, then Nascar is finally dead to me.

As a DIEHARD Chevy fan, JGR was the last flickering flame of hope I had for the sport, but now I see that that flame will now be extinguished.

RIP Nascar.

You guy's better listen to Chewy Gibbs has the best engineers, who don't cheat like the Hendrick boy's, not to mention that the main hinderance to Blaney, Vickers and Almendinger and even Ruetimann to a degree is the result of the Top 35 Rule, not the car's anymore. When Vickers makes the show he's very formidable and if not for the power steering failure at Charlotte he'd have won.

Toyota pretty much own's the Truck Series and is running quite well in the Grand National series, this was a bad year to come into Cup Racing they had to build 2 different style's of car's and couldn't concentrate on setup's and testing.

You guy's better listen to Chewy Gibbs has the best engineers, who don't cheat like the Hendrick boy's, not to mention that the main hinderance to Blaney, Vickers and Almendinger and even Ruetimann to a degree is the result of the Top 35 Rule, not the car's anymore. When Vickers makes the show he's very formidable and if not for the power steering failure at Charlotte he'd have won.

Toyota pretty much own's the Truck Series and is running quite well in the Grand National series, this was a bad year to come into Cup Racing they had to build 2 different style's of car's and couldn't concentrate on setup's and testing.

I said it last year and I'll say it again....Red Bull/Toyota is a lethal combination. Both throw mad money at their teams. As was stated, only thing that killed Vickers was the 35 rule. Every week since Toyota tweeked their engine package that he's raced he's up in the top 10 for good portions of the race.

This will be the last season I can root for any JGR car. I don't care if somebody makes all the COT cars exactly alike and it's just a matter of a different sticker on it. I will not support a team with a foreign car sponsor. Pure and simple.

I am with you on this. Some will argue that Toyota is as American as apple pie in the global market.

I disagree with their assessment. When McDonald's is accepted in France and the middle east as national establishments within each county because the workers assembling the burgers are nationals, I will consider doing the same for Toyota.

I said it last year and I'll say it again....Red Bull/Toyota is a lethal combination. Both throw mad money at their teams. As was stated, only thing that killed Vickers was the 35 rule. Every week since Toyota tweeked their engine package that he's raced he's up in the top 10 for good portions of the race.

Red Bull/Toyota may be lethal together, but apart, not so much. Just look at the four Red Bull F1 teams. They're almost Minardi bad.

Unless Kerry Earnhardt's son becomes the second coming of the Intimidator, after Jr. retires I think I may be done with NASCAR. Jr. going to HMS was bad enough, but JGR to Toyota is almost worse.

What if one of the Toyota's had Smith & Wesson as a sponsor?

Agree 1000%

Some of you know how I feel about "today’s" Nascar and if JGR is truly switching to Toyota, then Nascar is finally dead to me.

As a DIEHARD Chevy fan, JGR was the last flickering flame of hope I had for the sport, but now I see that that flame will now be extinguished.

RIP Nascar.

I've never understood the "I will only drive Chevy" or "Ford is the only thing worth driving". Seriously, so you guys are telling me you'd rather drive an inferior car? Because that's exactly what you're doing. Toyota blows both Ford and Chevy out of the water.

Archived