Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Sons first Game Ever!

mainman

My son is 7, I will be taking him to his first game ever this Sunday. (My first trip to FedEx) I am wondering what I can do to make sure he has the best possible experience. Should I take him early? Is there a snowballs chance in hell in catching any of the players outside of the stadium? Is there anything to do inside the stadium? I want him to remember it always...

TIA!!

:helmet: :logo:

My son is 7, I will be taking him to his first game ever this Sunday. (My first trip to FedEx) I am wondering what I can do to make sure he has the best possible experience. Should I take him early? Is there a snowballs chance in hell in catching any of the players outside of the stadium? Is there anything to do inside the stadium? I want him to remember it always...

TIA!!

After the game a bunch of fans usually wait by the tunnel for the players. It has happened every game that I've been to. SOME of the players sign autographs.

7 year old tention span may be limited, therefore buy him a Redskin toy or have him bring something he likes to play with from home. Otherwise , he will be asking you "Can we go now" or "Is it over yet" by the 2nd Qt..
This is a definite possibility, the one thing I think I have in my favor is, he is in his 2nd year of pop warner. He is a total football hound... I am hoping that outweighs any lack of attention a 7 year old would suffer from.

How do I find these tailgates?

And thanks for the input thus far...

This is a definite possibility, the one thing I think I have in my favor is, he is in his 2nd year of pop warner. He is a total football hound... I am hoping that outweighs any lack of attention a 7 year old would suffer from.

How do I find these tailgates?

And thanks for the input thus far...

With what you described above is true ,then your son's first expericence at Fed-Ex and seeing the Redskins will be one he will never forget . From the time he sees the stadium up close to the minute he walks through the tunnel to your seats . The look on his face will be pricless ( make sure you get a picture of this ). make sure that you walk around the outside of the stadium before going inside. There is always plenty to do with the NFL game day experience , throwing at the football booth, etc., normally some former Redskin is out their signing autographs .( my sons first time Joe Jacoby was there and he got an autograph and picture taken with him.) It's all what you make it for him. He'll be wanting to go to every game once he gets his taste of the first one :D My son , now 9 attends at least 4 games a year now with me. HTTR !!!

I would say bring him into the stadium early. That is always an enjoyable experience. Getting to see the calm before the storm. Fresh cut grass, players practicing, quiet anticipation...just an awesome feeling if you've never been. Let him pig out and have a good time. Also, buy him something there. Whether it be a hat, a foam finger, etc...just get him something to remember it by. I hope you and your son enjoy the experience. Hopefully it can be something you and him never forget.

You might want to avoid the ES tailgate with 7 year old,because the F's were flying when I took my 10 year old to his first game last month. Take him in the stadium early. I didn't think my son would enjoy it, but now all he talks about is going to a real game.

Really??

I'm surprised to hear that - I've had my son there several times and never experienced that - in fact I'll be hanging there Sunday. That doesn't describe the normal crew, at least not in my experience.

TIA!!

I am taking my 7 year old son to his first game a little later this year...should be fun, but realize that their attention span may not last the whole game. I myself am trying to figure out what I can do to keep him busy while his Dad is screaming his fool head off! HA HA Maybe binoculars, a portable radio(?), Food!

Really??

I'm surprised to hear that - I've had my son there several times and never experienced that - in fact I'll be hanging there Sunday. That doesn't describe the normal crew, at least not in my experience.

There are a group of 20-somethings who have set up camp next to us. I'm assuming this is where the F-bombs are coming from.

Really??

I would have to agree with Tarhog. I took my son to his first Redskins game against the cowgirls last year and he had a blast. We started off the day at the ES Tailgate and even though there was a bunch of trash talking that goes along with the Cowgirls game. The ES tailgate crew was very friendly and the language was fairly family friendly, so a minimal amount of F-bombs being dropped by the ES crew. Thanks.

There are a group of 20-somethings who have set up camp next to us. I'm assuming this is where the F-bombs are coming from.

No it was coming from the regular crew. Mostly about the F@#King Dumpster . I say it enough myself, so I have no room to talk. There were also a lot of F's flying in the stands which can be expected. Only problem I saw bringing my son to the game, but there is no way around it unless you plan on telling the whole section to watch their mouths.

I took my two boys to see the falcons beat the lions 3 years ago when they were 8 and 10 years old. They paid attention to the whole thing and enjoyed it.

I was concern at first with the long walk from where we park to the Georgia Dome. But they handle it better than their old man. With my bad back I had to rest 2 or 3 times before we got to our seats.

They are still falcon fans because of their memories of that game (despite the Vick B.S.). Even though we still live here outside Atlanta, I am still a Redskins fan (my boys respect that).

I hope your son enjoy the game.

After some tailgating and good times, you'll probably want to head for the stadium early. The band will be playing (they march around the outside of the stadium) and the Hogettes are usually outside as well, giving some photo ops.

Once you're inside, if it's early you can go into one of the 100 sections for some photo ops - go to the Redskins side for the best opportunities. Just ask security nicely if you can go down, they're not actually checking tickets until about an hour before kick off.

Or, you might want to look at the Tailgate Club tickets - I've never been, but it's got all kinds of kid-friendly action. You can read more on Redskins.com or do a search here. Hope he (and you) have a great time!

I'd recommend the ES Tailgate for starters. Your son will be welcomed and

well treated. I've taken my son several times over the years, which he is

15 now. He loves the ES tailgate, especially Pez's wings.

Then take him in early. Go by the Hall of Fame store and get him a hat

or t-shirt. Once in your seats watch the players warm up. He'll get a kick

out of the fireworks when team rushes out onto the field.

Don't be discouraged if your son's attention wanes. Regardless you will

score a major victory. This is something your son will always remember.

First time I took my son, age 11 and during Spurrier years, we lost. I was

grumbling on way home. Asked him what his favorite part was (which I

will never forget), he said being with you all day. I learned a valuable lesson

that day.

Whatever you do, go and enjoy the time with your son. You will create great

memories for you as well as your son. Enjoy the moment.

Archived