Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is your Offensive Rookie of the Year?

CBMGreatOne

I'm not sure if they have announced the league one, but I think most of us see this as a two man race. I think a lot of the media turned their attention to Shockey because he finishd strong, but my pick has to be Clinton Portis of Denver 1508 yards, 5.5 YPC, 15 TDs.

Portis plays a more important position and was the fourth leading rusher in the NFL this year behind Williams, Holmes, and Tomlinson. I know Shockey made All-Pro, but at the tight end position, I think you're right away less meritorious of consideration than a 1500 Yard running back.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Portis was just a beast this year. The numbers are too strong. Shockey however did get his team into the playoffs

I think you have to look at the fact that Shockey took his team to the playoffs. Everyone around him played very well, and I'm not going to diminish what the other giants accomplished, but the giants have taken on Shockey's attitude and have ridden it into the playoffs. Stats aren't everything. Especially when comparing between positions.

Also, no one in the league hits like shockey. No one takes a hit like shockey. I'm giving him the nod.

-DB

Patrick Ramsey :)

I would vote for Portis. Actually, the Broncos who finished 9-7 played in a much tougher division and had a hellacious schedule.

I don't know that you can look at the Giants making the playoffs and trace that back to Shockey enough to allow that to be the difference in rookie voting.

by that logic if the Eagles win the Super Bowl then the rookie of the year should be Lito Sheppard or Brian Westbrook? :)

I agree with Portis as the pick here ... easily.

Shockey did not take his team to the playoffs. He was a PART of the solution. In fact, I would say he was about the 4th most important part after Collins, Barber and Toomer. There were games where he took over, to be sure, but so did the others. To say Shockey "took" the Giants to the playoffs and give him this award would be to ignore the contributions of the others. He comes in a strong second.

Ho hum, another Denver Rookie gets over 1500 yards. Like Andersen, like Olandis G. (okay, he ONLY ogt over 1200, but he came in around the 4th or 5th game.) Don't be surprised if Portis is another one of Denver's one year rookie wonders. I'm sure this is what people casting their votes were thinking.

Anybody notice how incredibly much better Collins looked this year with Shockey in the lineup? And that was with a rash of injuries to WRs that had the Giants scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill in roster spots (Herman Moore unretiring, anyone?). Our supposed all-pro LBs couldn't cover Shockey. Remember how bad we were all certain the Gints were gonna be at the start of the season? Gotta be Shockey. Stats don't tell the whole story.

What are most of you smoking out there.:high:Shockey all the way!! No Shockey, Giants do not make it to the playoffs. Portis had good numbers but his team , the hated Denver Donkeys, didn't make it! Who is to say that the Donkeys would have done just as good if not better with Gary or Anderson as the featured back.

Archived