Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL admits mistake in ref call with Giants

88Comrade2000

From nfl.com

Statement on last play of Giants-49ers game

NFL.com wire reports

Giants' holder could not have spiked ball

(Jan. 6, 2003) -- The New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers were informed that a defensive pass interference penalty should have been called on the final play of their NFC Wild Card Game.

A videotape review by NFL Director of Officiating Mike Pereira of the final play -- the Giants' 41-yard field goal attempt with six seconds remaining -- determined the following:

Tam Hopkins, No. 65, of the Giants lined up as the left guard and was illegally downfield on the pass attempt. The three flags thrown on this play were for this penalty.

Guard Rich Seubert, No. 69, was an eligible receiver on Giants field-goal attempts. This was reported to the officiating crew prior to the game as is routinely done before every game.

49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor interfered with Seubert downfield when he was attempting to catch Giants holder Matt Allen's pass. This defensive pass-interference penalty against the 49ers was not called.

If defensive pass interference had been called, there would have been offsetting penalties (ineligible receiver against the Giants and pass interference against the 49ers) with the down replayed at the original line of scrimmage, the San Francisco 23-yard line. Although time had expired, a game cannot end with offsetting penalties. Thus, the game would have been extended by one untimed down.

One additional note on the play: Allen did not have the option of spiking the ball to stop the clock, which only can be done by taking a hand-to-hand snap directly from the center. If Allen had spiked the ball, it would have been a penalty for intentionally grounding the ball and the game would have ended due to a 10-second runoff of the clock.

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

So this was one of the 15 or so mistakes that are made a game?

:rolleyes:

*playing world's tiniest violin for the Gmen right now*

Perhaps if they hadnt blown a 24 point lead they wouldnt have been in that situation - or are the refs to blame for that too?

I agree with you, just point it out. Giants never should've been in the position to be where a bad call possiblely costs them a game.

Moreover...the Whiners and perhaps, everyone else in the world save GMen fans are still convinced that Plummer intercepted a pass two plays before the botched field goal. How the refs couldnt accurately use video replay is beyond me.

What makes it worse is that a side judge threw a beanie down where the play occurred - giving the impression that he felt that it was an INT (and a change of possesion).

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Moreover...the Whiners and perhaps, everyone else in the world save GMen fans are still convinced that Plummer intercepted a pass two plays before the botched field goal. How the refs couldnt accurately use video replay is beyond me.

What makes it worse is that a side judge threw a beanie down where the play occurred - giving the impression that he felt that it was an INT (and a change of possesion).

If that was an INT, I'm an all-pro qb.

If the NFL is going to publicly address mistakes like this, they ought to also discipline the officials involved in some way and announce that as well. You can't say for sure that the game would have gone one way or the other based on the call because you don't know if the field goal will be made, but it's ludicrious for the league to say "Oh, by the way we made a big mistake." Well, what are you going to do about it? If I were the Giants I'd be livid -- you play hard for 16 games to make the playoffs and this is your reward?

The Giants have no one but themselves to blame for losing that game.

That being said, they still earned the right for one more attempt at a very makeable FG, their long-snapping and kicking woes notwithstanding.

This is an absolute embarrassment for the league as this isn't even a judgement call but rather simply proper implementation of the rules, as fundamental of a mistake as Colorado's "Fifth Down" play. That officiating crew should all be fired.

I agree with you Tom but what about the time when Tiki fumbled and after review the Refs still blew it only for a NFL apology coming to the Skins? It happens so many times a year that you simply cannot pin-point that one moment to blame. They need to be able to review more like dead ball calls an such. Its getting out of hand really.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Ok, this is the third time this is being posted. Doesn't anyone read the other posts before making a post?????? :doh: :gus:

Just like now, 'sprawl' like this often gets merged with the original thread that posted topic. Be patient Tom :)

Regarding this topic, I thought for certain while watching the game that the flags were regarding the interference.... I was surprised that it wasnt called too.

Tough luck for the G-men.

So, what positions do you think the G-men will target in the draft/FA?

:cheers:

Field Goal Attempt notwithstanding, there is siply no way Plummer had the INT. Anybody could've seen that. I thought it was a bogus call at first too, but the replay clearly showed that he didn't have control of the ball and it hit the ground while he was rolling over. No question on this one.

Also, why you would go downfield as an ineligibl receiver in that situation is beyond me. If the ineligible guy had stayed put and the interference had been called as it should have been, the Giants have a 24 yarder to try. Too many bonehead mistakes to count in the final minute of this game.

Whether or not a receiver has 'control of the ball' is the one area where I think instant replay is of almost no value. The officials have to make that judgement in real-time. Once you start slowing down a video-tape, what then becomes the standard for 'having control'? We don't live in an instant replay world. You view the throw, watch to determine whether the reciever catches it, and call it or don't call it a reception. Even a ball which is never truly solidly possessed and 'controlled' by the receiver can appear to be caught if you slow the tape down enough. Its probably the most subjective type of call an official makes, and I'm inclined to go with the official's call who viewed the throw and catch in real-time.

Tarhog, in this case I hav to disagree. I on' think any subjectivity went into this call, we all saw it on television and from a strictly objective standpoint, the ball hit the ground at a time when it had not yet been stabilized by the hands of Plummer, it was thus a trap.

The rules on catches/interceptions are in a constant state of evolution and while there are things that I believe should be changed, this call doesn't fall into one of those categories. It looked legit to me in real time too, but I didn't have the correct angle and upon further review, the ground clearly assisted Plummer in hauling it in.

Yeah CBM, I wasn't really addressing that particular play. I think replay CAN sometimes help confirm that a receiver trapped a ball (there is usually conclusive evidence one way or another). But at what magical slo-mo moment does a receiver 'gain control' of the ball? That was my only point. And again, if you slow the tape down enough, it will always look like the ball is 'under control' for that millisecond, but seen in real-time it may clearly be seen as in constant movement and never really under the receiver's control.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Ok, this is the third time this is being posted. Doesn't anyone read the other posts before making a post?????? :doh: :gus:

Posts here move quickly to the next page, so we don't always know that it's been posted twice.

Anyway, we want to torture you as much as we can.

Archived