Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN SI Scouting Report

RFK Lives

Did a search and did not see it posted. They mention Butler who has been cut so not sure if it is dated but the link was on the main CNN page. They have us last in the NFC East and a record of 6-10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/scouting.report/redskins.html

Two new playmakers will shore up a horrid defense while a raw young quarterback continues to find his way

WHAT'S NEW?

The Elias Sports Bureau doesn't keep official track of this stat, but it's probably safe to say that last season Gregg Williams had the worst salary-to-takeaways ratio of any defensive coordinator in the history of football. Williams, properly called the assistant head coach -- defense in the Redskins' unwieldy parlance, made a reported $2.6 million (a league record for an assistant coach) in 2006 while overseeing a unit that created just 12 turnovers (a modern NFL record for futility). To bolster the defense, which plummeted from ninth in the league in '05 in yards allowed to 31st in '06, the Redskins drafted LSU strong safety LaRon Landry sixth overall and signed several free agents, including cornerbacks Jerametrius Butler, David Macklin and Fred Smoot, and, most important, middle linebacker London Fletcher.

WHERE THEY'RE HEADED

Fletcher was at home in Cleveland when the telephone rang at 12:01 a.m. on March 2 -- one minute into the NFL's free-agency period. "London," said the voice on the other end of the line, "this is Coach Gibbs from the Washington Redskins." Over the course of the next 10 minutes Fletcher listened as a battery of assistants, including Williams, secondary coach Jerry Gray and special teams coach Danny Smith (all of whom had worked with Fletcher in Buffalo) expounded on the ways in which Fletcher could affect the Redskins defense. Fletcher boarded a D.C.-bound plane less than 10 hours later, and by the time he and fellow free agent Smoot took their seats at that evening's Atlanta Hawks -- Washington Wizards NBA game, he had agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract.

The Redskins coveted Fletcher not only because he's a 5' 10", 245-pound dervish who is the NFL's leading tackler since 2000, but also because he's a passionate leader with the ability to inspire listless teammates. "They want me to be the quarterback of the defense, somebody who looks into the eyes of the other 10 men on that field," says Fletcher. "We're going to get the job done. On key third downs we're going to get the stops. On fourth down we're going to get the stops." Although Fletcher turned 32 in May, the Redskins have no fear that he'll join the line of high-priced, over-30 free-agent disappointments that has marked Daniel Snyder's eight years as owner.

Click link for the full article.

Over the course of the next 10 minutes Fletcher listened as a battery of assistants, including Williams, secondary coach Jerry Gray and special teams coach Danny Smith (all of whom had worked with Fletcher in Buffalo) expounded on the ways in which Fletcher could affect the Redskins defense.

A "battery of assistants" talked to Fletcher in a span of 10 minutes? lol...They must have all talked for around 45 seconds each :laugh:...

All of those great things that they mention about us and yet they still have us finishing dead last in the division. :doh:

I know. Had I not looked at their predictions first, I would have swore they had us at 10-6 after reading the article.

I love the QB of the defense comparison with Fletcher. He truly sounds passionate about his job.

I completely agree with the article's viewpoint(s). His concluding paragraph states exactly what I feel in that we are a premiere pass rusher and a QB w/more experience away from a winning season.

We're a premiere pass rusher and a QB w/more experience away from a Super Bowl run...we're not needing both of those right now to go 9-7. An extremely stout defense and a great rushing unit can take you to 9-7 if you cut down on the penalties and hit just enough deep balls.

I agree,( Although nothing new except it is from the national media) he made good points about the additions on defense and pointed out our ONLY 2 weaknesses. If Carter rushes the QB like the end of last season and JC gets his percentage up to 60% I think 10-6 and a run for the playoffs is very likely..

HTTR

Archived