Do the Giants make a coaching move?

Art

Who Would You Want?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Want?

• Steve Spurrier
    • Bill Parcells
    • I'm a Gator Fan

The thought as if Fassel didn't make the playoffs he was out. He makes the playoffs. Then, he proceeds to coach a game that just makes you wonder what the heck was going on. I have always liked Fassel, but, one thing is pretty constant. The Giants are a dumb team too. They make mistakes of a team that doesn't pay attention to detail. Just like us. And Fassel should have that team better schooled after so many years.

I thought losing to the Cardinals and Titans this year were the tops for that team, but, this game, to me, is a firing offense. Fassel has already shown an up and down coaching career. He wins for a year then is down. I thought he was going to develop into one of the game's best, but, something about him just makes me wonder if he can't develop further and that team needs to make a change.

I sure hope they do fire him Art. He may never get them to win a Super Bowl, but his unpredictable squads are always dangerous. His teams are marred by horrible inconsistency, but he will get them to the playoffs more often than not.

I'd rather us face a Giant team with a rookie (or new) coach who will install a new system. Otherwise, they could well be contending for the division next year and end up with an 11-5 record.

One observation I have of the Fassel era is that they perform to the opposite of expectations. If they are expected to be a contender, they are duds. When they are seemingly destined for submediocrity, they'll be extremely competitive and get on a hot streak.

If I were a Giants fans, I suppose I would be somewhat ambivalent to Fassel leaving.

I'm a big Fassel fan also. What is really disappointing is he looked like he lost total control of his team in that 4th quarter tonight. He's got a fair number of knuckleheads playing for him and probably needs to trim a few of them or he won't get many more chances. I get the feeling he isn't the strictest of disciplinarians and that may be part of the problem. Definitely a class act though (then again, so was Dave Campo and that didn't help much).

The Giants, under Fassel, have been a better team than almost anyone expected in 2 of the last 3 seasons. That alone should keep him on the sidelines.

He certainly did lose control of his team at the end yesterday ... and asserting control after the FIRST penalty might have prevented the second. Furthermore, the holder not knowing the situation ultimately has to come back to him (through the special teams coach) as well.

Still, why make a change unless it's going to be for the better. And what coach available would do a better job?

the Giants have somewhat less talent than the Eagles, Bucs and 49ers.

and they are set to finish #4 or #5 in the NFC for the season.

so in my mind they reached their own level.

Remember, the Giants started THREE younger players on their offensive line, started two second year players at cornerback and still finished the season at 10-6.

The truth of the matter is the Giants played over their heads a little in the first half, perhaps more than a little. And then came crashing down in the second half.

The balance in all of this is the 49ers are probably a 3 to 6 point better team right now.

What is disheartening for NY fans is that the same kicking game miscues that stopped the Redskins in 1999 against Tampa in the divisional round of the playoffs happened to them yesterday.

The Giants had a good kicking game last year with Morten Andersen yet decided not to resign him. That was a mistake.

Not getting a long snapper despite suffering 10 weeks of inconsistent play is a clear disappointment.

One sidenote though: you live with the sword and die with the sword :)

That 19-17 victory by the Giants over the Redskins came as time expired and with Redskins kicker James Tuthill losing his footing and falling down in the mud while trying to make a makeable field goal.

He kicks that ball and the Skins win 20-19 and the Giants don't make the playoffs :)

Sometimes the edge is that sharp...............

let's not forget that this is a giants team that we all thought would suck this year. lots of people here had them finishing dead last in the nfc east. they made the playoffs. they were one of the 12 top teams in the nfl with a squad that seems to be mediocre at best. fassel deserves credit for that. the game though is a different story, but he shouldn't be fired for it.

Yea they had alot of problems entering the season with Shockey fighting & Strahan & Barber b*tching about eachothers contracts, not to mention they lost key players in Ron Stone, Joe Jeresomthin, Armstead, Garnes etc plus lost 2 key players in Ike Hilliard & Keith Hamilton through the season.

Yea i think they should give him another season, they should have won last night anyway

Fassell's not going anywhere, nor should he. He consistently gets more than expected out of his team, with only modest talent on offense. While players like Tiki Barber, Toomer and even Kerry Collins may be regarded as "good" players at their positions, they really aren't Pro Bowl- caliber guys. Only Shockey - a surprise this year on offense - fits that mold. Even their defense, while of course very solid along the line, is not particularly great in the back seven. I mean, are you afraid of anyone in their secondary?

And yet they averaged exactly 20 points per game and were a team that no one really wanted to play. Fassell should get credit for that, and for the fact that unlike many other long-time coaches, his team still plays for him.

The kicking and long-snapping woes can happen to any team, although signing a retired Trey Junkin during the week before a road playoff game is a bit silly. But as we've seen all too clearly in Washington, there are fewer good place kickers out there than there are teams.

Noone mentioned the giants cap problems this year. They didn't expect much from themselves this year. I remember at the beginning of the year listening to there GM on the radio. He was crying the blues about the cap situation and telling the fans to be patient. He was saying that there cap woes would be just about over in 2003 and in 2004 they will be primed for a huge run.

They had no $ to sign any solid FA's last summer and had to start a bunch of no names. Fassel took this bunch of average players at best and made the playoffs. He far exceeded the Giants expectations for this season. There "O" line gelled and formed a solid foundation to build on and they aren't using much cap space in doing so. He will be around for awhile like it or not.

Here's the thing about Fassel.

I agree completely that he overachieved with the team he had. No doubt about it. But, as good a coaching job as that is, the fact remains that he did such a bad coaching job in three games, including the last one, that his team lost because of his mistakes.

The Cards and Titans are varying degrees of stupid of course. The Niners was a guy who appeared not to have even spoken to his team or known the rules. I'd STILL be on that field arguing the interference call. But he just nodded and walked off.

I still think Fassel lifts a team. But, unlike other coaches that do the same, he seems to make such idiotic mistakes with his team that he costs them games too. I wouldn't be surprised if a move is made here whether one should be or not.

Art, I will agree he doesn't strike me as a good game day coach. I will say this guy is a hell of a mon-sat coach. He seems to be a great motivator and his teams seem to be well prepared. I believe he lacks the game day play calling of a great coach. I have heard wellington and Acorsi talk very highly of him and I would be very surprised if they can him. Wellington wanted to fire Parcells after his first year and decided to wait. His patience seems to be growing as he gets older. I believe he will give Fassel 2 more years knowing there cap situation. If he fails to get to the superbowl the next 2 years then his neck will be on the cutting block.

Archived