Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lindsey and Barrow was reason for our declining defense

NorthEast Skin

I get the idea that Coach Lindsey was a real problem in the decline of our defense over the last few years. I am not obsolving Coach Williams of all responsibility but I do beleive we do not have a micro-managing group of coaches.

First of all, the middle linebacker is the quarterback of most of the defense but especially so with ours. Barrow going out in year one was highly detrimental to the defense. Pierce as able to step in and I beleived was not signed based on a recommendation from Lindsey (my opinion totally). I know Gibbs thinks he made a mistake there. Again using Marshall as a stop gap in the second year was understandable the third year really casued us problems.

Also I would suspect the failures and selection of McCune and Newberry have a little to do with Lindsey also.

Slow day for me so I thought I would post rather than my normal reading.

:2cents:

I really think our defense decline just one year due to the lack of depth, injuries, and age of players, as previously mentioned. Also, Gregg WIlliams has known to have up and down years in the past (I'm in Titans country right now and living with a die-hard Titans fan, they know).

That being said, we are poised to return as we have improved our secondary and LB positions and depth, and the d-line can be solid if the interior holds up (Griffin, Montgomery, Golston).

I think I agree with AA being a big part of the problem. Losing PP meant AA became the starter, and he definitely didn't fit.

That caused a domino effect that ended up with Williams becoming ultra-conservative, and not calling his regular aggressive, blitz-happy defense.

Lack of offense in the beginning of last did not help our dee, Mark boooonelll and his 3 and out then punt contribute to our dee being fatigue due to being on the field all the time.

But that was 2006 when we were 5-11. Now a new beginning is upon us and now we will ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggest mistakes by order for the Defense.

Not signing Pierce

replacing Lavar with Holdman (Marshall would have done a much better job if Pierce was MLB)

Not picking Canty when he was there in the Draft

Letting go of Walt Harris

Sigining AA.

Pierce was such a bad move. Because of this one move there was a domino effect through out the D.

Our defense declined last year because they were coached horribly from top to bottom. It didn't help that the lack of depth was exposed by injury and GW didn't do a very good job of adapting. This year GW has a few new faces and he can install some things teams haven't seen before. GW's coaching is based on the element of suprise and well timed blitzes. I think a gem fell into his lap with Laron Landry. The guy knows how to blitz.

I hate to thread jack but does anyone else see a disheartening trend developing? Has the starting D forced a turnover this preseason? Any pickles? We all know our offense is going to need saving on several occassions for this team to make any push at the playoffs. I fear we've become the 2005 redskins and I don't see a 5 win run at the end of the season to make the playoffs. The defense is good but it has to get better, it can't be that bend but don't break D that can't get off the field on third down late in a game. Until I see them make a big stop late in a regular season game with the score close, I'm not going to put any stock in this D.

The defense had one bad year (last year). I blame last years total collapse to injuries and lack of depth at key positions (CB and S). Losing PP on the first play last year and AA sucking killed the safety position. Then CB injuries really decimated the secondary causing the entire philosophy to change. Bad personnel decisions coupled with critical injuries was too much to over come.

The defense had one bad year (last year). I blame last years total collapse to injuries and lack of depth at key positions (CB and S). Losing PP on the first play last year and AA sucking killed the safety position. Then CB injuries really decimated the secondary causing the entire philosophy to change. Bad personnel decisions coupled with critical injuries was too much to over come.

I think this pretty much nails it on the head. The philosophy had to be changed with the injuries and personnel we had in the secondary last year. I was happy to see the changes and depth we added this year and hope for a solid return to form with Springs and Rogers blitzing and Taylor as a true FS

I think Pierce's development had a lot to do with Barrow. - Barrow didn't play the entire season, but was on the sideline every game constantly coaching Pierce, which is why I think Pierce was able to fit so quickly in directing the defense.

I get the idea that Coach Lindsey was a real problem in the decline of our defense over the last few years. I am not obsolving Coach Williams of all responsibility but I do beleive we do not have a micro-managing group of coaches.

First of all, the middle linebacker is the quarterback of most of the defense but especially so with ours. Barrow going out in year one was highly detrimental to the defense. Pierce as able to step in and I beleived was not signed based on a recommendation from Lindsey (my opinion totally). I know Gibbs thinks he made a mistake there. Again using Marshall as a stop gap in the second year was understandable the third year really casued us problems.

Also I would suspect the failures and selection of McCune and Newberry have a little to do with Lindsey also.

Slow day for me so I thought I would post rather than my normal reading.

:2cents:

Totally agree with you man.... Dale Lindsay was a joke

Archived