Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gainsville Sun..Spurrier Article

Knowing what we know now what would you have done?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what we know now what would you have done?

• Trade down for extra picks and draft Chad Pennington.
    • Stay at no. 2 and draft LaVar.

Wow! Great post. A million thanks. That article was kind of the missing link in understanding where we stand in Spurriers eyes this post season.

:cheers:

I love this...

His first goal — to get a speedy receiver.

“We need one real fast wide receiver,” he said. “And some other things here and there."

Isn't that what I have been saying over and over and over and.... ? :laugh:

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Wow! Great post. A million thanks. That article was kind of the missing link in understanding where we stand in Spurriers eyes this post season.

:cheers:

I love this...

Isn't that what I have been saying over and over and over and.... ? :laugh:

That's also what SOS has been saying over and over for a while now. A speed WR is clearly the team's #1 priority no matter what some Extremeskins posters think it should be.

The problem is that there aren't any "really fast" wide receivers that are easily obtainable, either in the draft or free agency. Basically, SOS wants Donte Stallworth. We just missed being able to move up to snag him last year (I'm not complaining though, we wound up with Ramsey). As far as I know, there aren't any Lelies or Stallworths to be had in this year's draft, although one never knows who will pop up between now and draft day.

I disagree, Kelly Washington in the third round is exactly the speed guy we need. Big, strong, great hands.. and runs a 4.40 forty. Regardless of his injury, which people are reporting isn't as serious as first believed but certainly hurt his draft status, he could be just the fit for the Redskin offense. That would give us Gardner, McCants, Russell and Washington. Add in a moderately signed Thompson and that just might be an above average receiving corp.

i've been pressing for speed at wideout all year also...but doing this in the first round short of a randy moss is suicide....excepting the moss' of the nfl.......you don't earn a return on this kind of investment (relative to the number of plays per game such a player influences the outcome or even gets his hands on the ball).

we have no pass rush, we have no future from a pass rushing perspective at DE. go wr in the first and we will regret it all season long next year.

defense wins championships. one would think that the priority this year on offense would simply be finding some folks who think fumbling isn't such a cool thing!

build your lines. build your lines. build your lines. when the talent at the speciality positions is evenly spread, it is the lines that determine the winners and losers come January!!

look at it snother way...we draft a mean mammaer jammer at DE who is good for 10+ sacks and maybe lavar plays upright most of the season as an LB instead of an ersatz DE. playing him as a down lineman has been a tacit admission all season long that we don't have a consistent passrush from our DEs.

Originally posted by fansince62

i've been pressing for speed at wideout all year also...but doing this in the first round short of a randy moss is suicide....excepting the moss' of the nfl.......you don't earn a return on this kind of investment (relative to the number of plays per game such a player influences the outcome or even gets his hands on the ball).

we have no pass rush, we have no future from a pass rushing perspective at DE. go wr in the first and we will regret it all season long next year.

defense wins championships. one would think that the priority this year on offense would simply be finding some folks who think fumbling isn't such a cool thing!

build your lines. build your lines. build your lines. when the talent at the speciality positions is evenly spread, it is the lines that determine the winners and losers come January!!

look at it snother way...we draft a mean mammaer jammer at DE who is good for 10+ sacks and maybe lavar plays upright most of the season as an LB instead of an ersatz DE. playing him as a down lineman has been a tacit admission all season long that we don't have a consistent passrush from our DEs.

We definately need a younger version of Bruce Smith. Sack master threat on passing downs and can play the run efficiently.

Defining the No. 1 priority will likely be told by how much money we spend in free agency to secure a position. The draft can have a different priority and if we do what we did this past year where we took the best player available on our board rather than filling need we won't know after the draft whether we did well or not really, in terms of filling priorities.

I do think we're going to end up spending a hefty amount to fill the receiver spot in the offseason. Earlier in the year I even thought we would have to go with a first-round pick there. While that may still happen I suspect the draft will head a different direction and free agency will fill the rest.

Archived