Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Sean Taylor get his weight back up?

TheTotalPackage

my worry is that sean taylor has gotten too small. he looks nowhere near as physically imposing as we're acustomed to seeing him. i just saw him make a tackle (vs the ravens about 20 seconds ago and it looked like he got the worst of it..even though the man went down. now, steve mcnair just brushed him off. i'm not used to seeing ST in that position. he's not the same.

i think he needs to get his weight back up around his shoulders, retain that burliness we're used to seeing him have. the player with whom he is most compared to (ronnie lott) pretty much stayed top heavy throughout his career. i don't see any reason why ST can't do the same.

aside from those minor complaints on ST, the safety experiment seems to be working out. but, in a somewhat related topic, was anyone surprised with the way the two safeties are being used? ST was known as the biggest hitter in the league (6'3 and 235lbs) and by far the most physically imposing. LaRon landry is shorter and slighter at 6'0 and 205. i'm not a coach, bt it would've been my natural instinct to put ST in the box and shadow tight ends and let LR be the centerfielder. I'm not saying this is the way it should be done..just saying this would've been my instinct. anybody else feel like they would've done this?

Ummm he didnt "brush him off." It almost looked like Sean went over him on purpose to avoid killing him.

BTW the way ST and LL are being used is because of their styles, not their size. Sean is better in coverage. LL has been known to have suspect hands and is a more inside the box type safety.

Ummm he didnt "brush him off." It almost looked like Sean went over him on purpose to avoid killing him.

BTW the way ST and LL are being used is because of their styles, not their size. Sean is better in coverage. LL has been known to have suspect hands and is a more inside the box type safety.

no disrespect, but that's kind of laughable since it's sean taylor we're talking about. he almost maimed a punter in the pro bowl..why wouldn't he put a licking on steve mcnair in the preseason.

it looked like he tried to make a big hit and forgot his shoulders weren't as wide or something.

i don't think that's true. i mean he said it..i read that article....but he's an enigma anyway so i don't necessarily believe him.

Yeah your right ST is going to lie about his weight. Sorry dude he's not a girl i am sure he's telling the truth and he's the one getting on the scale not us.

no disrespect, but that's kind of laughable since it's sean taylor we're talking about. he almost maimed a punter in the pro bowl..why wouldn't he put a licking on steve mcnair in the preseason.

it looked like he tried to make a big hit and forgot his shoulders weren't as wide or something.

He missed a tackle. He didn't lose 1 foot of shoulder width over the summer.

He missed a tackle. He didn't lose 1 foot of shoulder width over the summer.

a foot is an exaggeration, but he's noticably smaller up there. it's more about the momentum than anything. his hits don't have the same impact.

a big part of his game is intimidation. and my thing is if it doesn't seem like he's bringing it the same way, teams won't give him the same respect.

ST wasn't brushed off... nor was he avoiding McNair.

He tried to destroy McNair but missed. I'd like to see him make better open field tackles and save the fierce hits for players on the sidelines or reaching for passes. In the open field he is less likely to make contact, and in the grand scheme of things ... getting 'Jacked Up' and merely being falling down and being touched have the same effect on a game. Don't get me wrong, I love ST's big hits, but he should pick and choose his places better imo.

And if you think teams aren't intimidated by Taylor, take a look at game types and count the amount of times teams have thrown in his direction. He is not going to be the same player as he used to be, he is now a FREE SAFETY so you won't see him making the same hits as before, thats Landry's job.

And if you think teams aren't intimidated by Taylor, take a look at game types and count the amount of times teams have thrown in his direction. He is not going to be the same player as he used to be, he is now a FREE SAFETY so you won't see him making the same hits as before, thats Landry's job.
i don't know 'bout that. not saying you're wrong but, the point i'm making can be best illustrated by the playoff game vs tampa in 2005. at first, they wouldn't dare pass the pill up the middle. it was like the midle of the field had this invisible blanket that they wouldn't dare throw into. then st got ejected and they attacked it with abandon. also, the regular season game they played earlier that season was full of passes up the middle, and sean taylor happened to have missed that game due to an injury.

i think teams tend to exploit him by getting him out of position to make the play, going at him via play actions and flea flickers or looking him down like keyshawn did before the patrick crayton pass. they know one of his weaknesses is that he is always peeking in the backfield looking to lay a lick.

Yeah your right ST is going to lie about his weight. Sorry dude he's not a girl i am sure he's telling the truth and he's the one getting on the scale not us.

he's not the same weight man. you think he's goin to sit there and admit to his opponents that he lost 15 lbs this summer and as a result, his hits won't hurt as much?

he made a conscious decision to do this, does anyone remember why?

i think it was said it was in order to play better in coverage. also, he implied that he got tips from other players when he went to the pro bowl on eating right, etc.

personally i don't think his weight affected his ability to cover much so that should have to lose some. they were more mental mistakes than anything.

he's not the same weight man. you think he's goin to sit there and admit to his opponents that he lost 15 lbs this summer and as a result, his hits won't hurt as much?

Its not like he was sick or something. I mean if he didn't mean to lose that weight i could see him lie. If he meant to lose the weight why would he care if anyone knows. Point is i don't think he lost any weight. Even if he did he will be fine its preseason and he knows when it counts the most.

I'd rather he keep the weight off. Landry can hold down the intimidation part. We need Sean to be as quick as possible roaming the secondary, coming up with some INTs for a change. His only tackling problem is the fact that he's pulling a Lavar way too often... throwing his shoulder in there without wrapping up.

Archived