Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs sacrificed the game and players confidence for Brunell.

GaryGreenMonk

I'm special enough for you to take the time to research my previous post history. I feel flattered. I'd ask for a five page synopsis that summarizes all my posts, but I know an idiot couldn't handle that. ;)

And you'll notice, I just didn't call you an idiot. It's open to interpretation.

Dont feel flattered.

I have also researched the procedures of a colonoscopy.

I was looking for the same things.

There is clearly still an open competition for the second fiddle at QB. Gibbs, like many coaches, alternates the order in which the competing QB's are sent into the game.

Collins got first shot last night, therefore Brunell will likely get first shot next week. This means Brunell will most likely be starting against Baltimore.

Despite the outcome of the game, as 'Skins fans we should be thankful Brunell was given an opportunity against Pittsburgh camp fodder. As it turned out he did a poor job, thus ushering in a slim chance for Collins, who clearly is better suited for the backup position, to win the #2 spot.

In fact, wouldn't it be nice if Brunell played the first half horribly next week, only to be replaced by an in-form Collins? I feel a few outings such as last night are the only real scenarios which would lead to Gibbs ultimately going with Collins.

I see the 2nd QB spot as one which need be filled by someone who can plug the leak until the starter can get back on the field. The coaches understand that Collins is not going to be a play-maker. They also probably feel that Brunell's pedigree allows for the possibility of him making plays given the opputunity. In order for Collins to win the #2 spot he must convince the coaches that his ability to manage the offense outweighs the added bonus of Brunell's perceived play-making ability.

A few more stinky outings from Brunell, and a few more quarters of Collins sucessfully beating the blitz by checking down to Blaylock, et al, and Gibbs just might have to subvert his loyalty to an aging QB who, sadly, has declined beyond useful means...:2cents:

I dont think MB will go in before TC. IF JC were to be out for any time.....he has to have the qb in there that will do best with the starters. The horse MB rode in on is in the barn......so I dont think Gibbs would risk saddling it up against the RAVENS defense.

As the preseason winds down....important decisions on who stays......who goes......and the depth chart are made.

Aug. 28 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

Sept. 1 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

Sept. 2 -- Clubs may establish practice squad of eight players.

Oct. 16 -- Trading deadline.

So, the Monday after the Ravens game many players will be cut. I think Gibbs has to go with the most plausible option for the sake of the many RBs and WRs on the team right now.

MB is not that option.

Sorry... but Gibbs sacrificed not only the game but the confidence the players had going, especially in a defense that is doing a GREAT job, by putting Brunell in the game and not sticking with Collins and allowing him some more field expierience and letting him take over the 2nd spot at QB.

JC getting hurt sucks, Marcus Washington getting hurt sucks, but really, let the players who played a GREAT game win the freaking game.

If that means mismatching the steelers by keeping some guys in that shouldn't be ... well then do it.

This guy cleary does not remember the Steve Spurrier Preseason philosophy, or how well it carried over the the actual season (sarcasm).

I'm no Brunell fan, to say the least, but his one good throw of the night did indeed get us in makable field goal range. If you're so concerned about winning this game (I wanted just to continue the TD shutout streak so I'm happy with last night), I wouldn't blame Brunell if I were you but blame the wide receiver who inexplicably committed offensive pass interference on an overthrown ball that landed out of bounds. He's the reason Suisham didn't get a shot.

Sorry... but Gibbs sacrificed not only the game but the confidence the players had going, especially in a defense that is doing a GREAT job, by putting Brunell in the game and not sticking with Collins and allowing him some more field expierience and letting him take over the 2nd spot at QB.

JC getting hurt sucks, Marcus Washington getting hurt sucks, but really, let the players who played a GREAT game win the freaking game.

If that means mismatching the steelers by keeping some guys in that shouldn't be ... well then do it.

But Collins could have stayed in the rest of the game and nobody would have said anything except the coaches wanted a beter look at him.

WIN THE FREAKING GAME GIBBS... especially after an effort like that from your players...

:hammer: :hammer:

I know it's pre-season. Yeah whatever.... a win is a win to the players.. after a performance like that, a loss does nothing but have those guys that played their guts out like McIntosh, Lloyd, JC, Landry, etc... just walk off the field with their heads hangin low.

Dude, you are so right, we should have brought all of the starters back in the game so we can win. Maybe, just maybe, we don't get anyone hurt, but, we would win a MEANINGLESS PRESEASON GAME!!!!!!

You really need to think about what you are posting before you post it. The effort was great from the defense, they didn't allow any TD's (again), and the 3rd string defense held the steelers to FG's, even with a turnover which gave the steelers good FG position, not to mention the goal line stands.

It was more important to see how the young players who are fighting to make this team will react when they are put in a real game situation and having to stop the other team from scoring, they did pretty good with that.

Preseason is important to evaluate talent, not win the games. We went 0-4 in preseson in 91. Using your analogy, that team was demoralized because they weren't able to win in PRESEASON. I wonder how that worked for us then?

So, the Monday after the Ravens game many players will be cut. I think Gibbs has to go with the most plausible option for the sake of the many RBs and WRs on the team right now.

MB is not that option.

Good point Blondie.

I hope your right about this, as it would mean Gibbs is not foundering on his loyalty to Brunell. As much as I love Gibbs and cannot, in any way, question his tactics, his insistence on staying with the old QB has always scared the heck out of me.

Though, if history is any indication, I can't imagine Gibbs will indicate this week that Collins is the front runner for the #2 spot. In the past, Gibbs has given the competing players their full opportunities to prove their worth. Remember the Ramsey/Brunell competition in '05? Gibbs gave both players equal opportunities to start before deciding on the younger guy.

I expect the same diplomacy from Gibbs in this instance. Couple history, and protocol with his fondness for #8, and it seems Brunell hasn't lost any competition yet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hope one day to meet you E Dog. I will buy you a drink!

I think the only game I'm going to attend this season is Dallas. Last season, I discovered something; I really don't like going to FedEx Field. So if you're making the trip this year...

aeshallowhal.gif

Good point Blondie.

I hope your right about this, as it would mean Gibbs is not foundering on his loyalty to Brunell. As much as I love Gibbs and cannot, in any way, question his tactics, his insistence on staying with the old QB has always scared the heck out of me.

Though, if history is any indication, I can't imagine Gibbs will indicate this week that Collins is the front runner for the #2 spot. In the past, Gibbs has given the competing players their full opportunities to prove their worth. Remember the Ramsey/Brunell competition in '05? Gibbs gave both players equal opportunities to start before deciding on the younger guy.

I expect the same diplomacy from Gibbs in this instance. Couple history, and protocol with his fondness for #8, and it seems Brunell hasn't lost any competition yet.

There was a pass to Mason that he missed thrown by MB. According to Sonny...it must have had some velocity to it. Fluke?

I hope those "blind squirrel finds a nut" moments that MB has on occasion do not taint Gibbs thinking.

I truly believe he wants it so badly this year. Last year was the worst he has ever had as a coach. Surely he too learned from that......and the best options and players will be out there.

I don't have a problem with that. Sure.

I think Collins would have done better than Brunell. But yeah, why not keep them in.

More than anything, I think this team needs confidence. Which means winning games. Pre-season or not.

Steve Spurier, is that you??;)

Preseason is about seeing what your players can do, not winning. Seeing what your backups and your backups backups can do in a real game situation. That is why they throw 3rd and 4th string players out there, because pretty soon the coaches are going to have to make some cuts and those players who were playing late are the likely candidates.

By the way, why do you love Collins so much, from what I saw he looked like the Brunell that everyone hated last year, sticking in the pocket too long, not mobile, not throwing the ball down field (I missed the 1st quarter so correct me if I am wrong). And the switching of which players play with what team is something you do when a possition is up for grabs like they did with Collins and Brunell this week, so its more that Collins and Brunell are playing for that 2nd slot.

You leave Brunell in there to see what the 3rd and 4th string players can do with an experienced QB in there. Brunell did not play bad and he did not hurt anyone's confidence. The stupid plenalties and dropped balls by players that may not be here next week and certianly won't be here for week 1 are what lost us the games.

Last year it wasn't about the fact that we lost it was about how our 1st and 2nd teams looked and they didn't look good. This year its still not about the fact that we win or lose it was that our 1st string players looked great and even 2nd string players looked pretty damned good. The 3rd and 4th string players are looking for Special teams and practice squad slots on the team right now.

Preseason is not about winning it is about evaluating the players that you have in order to see who you are going to keep and cut and about how your 1st and 2nd string players look with their basic skills and fundamentals. Remember that they are playing on both sides with a vanilla playbook for both teams so there are going to be tons and tons of plays not in there.

As I said at the beginning, that statement you made sounds like something Steve Spurrier used to preach, frankly this team looks more like a Joe Gibbs team than any we have seen thus far with the fact that the players are looking good and prepared at the beginning of the game and that the end of the game is all about player evaluation. This gives me way more hope for the season than anything we could have seen in the W column after this game. This is why Joe Gibbs > Steve Spurier. Watch and Learn

I didn't get to see the game but my heart sank when reading the highlights and it said JC went out of the game hurt. Then found out it was his knee. I just started remembering 2 years ago with Carson Palmer.

I hope it heels quick. I also hope it heels completely,and not hamper him playing during the season.

I really wish Gibbs would have put the younger guys in. I'd like to see what Palmer or Bramlet could do with all the 1st string guys in. It could be something good. Remember, Some of the best QB's of all time were NOT drafted in the first round. We may have one,we just need to give them a chance.

I'm not saying forget about JC, but We really need to see who could be a GOOD 2nd string. I don't believe for a minute that Collins or Brunnell gives us the best chance to win. Also, I think the younger QB's will give us better insurance for the future. What do you all think?

:feedback:

I think we should've taken a look at Palmer, Collins showed 2 games in row that he can step in, not sure about him being a starter, but HOW MUCH practice/preseason does BOOnell really need, he's been playing a LONG time... give the youngster a chance to see if we can cut one of these vets, BRUNELL perferrably since he's just about old enough to retire anyhow???? I don't understand it, we lose with the young kid then no big deal, you see what he's made of.... Boonell just proving he shouldn't be in there to me.... and really - if you do want to keep him, well WE KNOW what BRUNELL can do, there's plenty of game tape on him!!!!!! 2 games in a row, Bramlet cut, and Palmer no shot at playing... maybe next week now....

Makes me wonder, will we ACTUALLY start BOONELL next week if Campbell can't go, God I pray not, start Collins, bring in the kid for 2nd half COMPLETELY

HAIL

If this was a team that has been running the same system for quite a few years like the Colts,Patriots,Eagles,Packers or whoever,then preseason victories would be less important than scouting your overall depth and talent...

But since we are in year 2 of the "forbidden" 700 page playbook Al Saunders era,then that changes everything people!

Plus we have a QB that is in his 5th offensive system in 5 years as well and entering his 1st full season as the full-time starter...JC

We have a defense that is coming off of a 2nd to last pathetic performance a season ago with an offense that seems unable to put teams away with authority..!

The Skin teams of the 80's maybe did not need to win preseason games to understand what kind of a team they had,but this team is totally different!

I didn't watch the game tonight (espn gametracker),but from what I saw(read)....our defense played awesome and our 1st unit (Offense)played better than they did against the Titans.Collins came in and performed well and hooked up with Brandon Lloyd which was nice to see...

Then Brunell Came in!!And it all went to crap!!3and outs...3and outs...Until the very last drive where he finally threw the ball in the middle of the field with 12 seconds in the game and no timeouts and a possible long FG that Suisham had made one previously...So the 1 time I wanted him to chuck it out of bounds like he has MASTERED...He throws a pick....!!

I love Gibbs...I truly do....But this has to stop....!!I think I would rather him sign Mark Rypien...Even at his age now,I would rather have Rypien!

Will we ever see Jordan play,or is gibbs afraid that Brunell will be bumbed to our #4?(Even though with this Campbel Injury"we haven't seen the last of Brunell"!

What is up with the lovefest of Gibbs and Brunell....Garcia I would understand,But brunell?

You said it not me, you didn't watch the game. Brunell is not the reason we lost. Players were dropping balls left and right, they were commiting stupid offensive pass interference penalties and not helping the team win. Also this is JC's 2nd year in this offensive system and Collins' what 6th?, the 1st team Offense looked good, the 2nd team looked pretty good and the 3rd stringers looked.... well like 3rd and 4th stringers, they didn't catch the ball or else they might have been 2nd stringers....

The Defense looked great, even the 3rd stringers looked pretty good holding the opposition to feild goals. Seriously, winning would have been nice but I am 10 times happier with this game than I was with the last one where we got a victory, we played against a 1st string QB tonight and we still looked great on Defense. I would take 4 losses that looked like last night in any preseason for all time.

Archived