Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kendall Of The Jets Available

MEANDWARF

Jets may be positioning Kendall for trade

Monday, Aug 13, 2007 11:36 am EDT

The Pete Kendall saga took a curious turn Sunday afternoon when he played several snaps at center for the New York Jets. Kendall, who is stewing over a contract standoff, seemed bewildered by the move.

"I thought the organization had already decided how well I play center," he said sarcastically. Kendall, who typically plays guard, said he was informed of the move when he arrived at practice.

It could suggest that the Jets want to keep Kendall and are evaluating ways to use him, or it could mean they intend to trade him to a team that needs a versatile lineman.

N.Y. Times

I know another let's get this player thread. But this is my first one so cut me some slack. If the Wade experiment turns out to be a failure could we go for this guy.

Cost maybe a 4th or 5th rounder in my checkbook.

If someone already posted, I am sorry and please close.

The guys is 34. Some of the concerns of the O-line are that we're so old. If we were to pick him up I wouldn't want him for more than this year.

Exactly. Kendall would be good for a year or possibly two but he is looking for big money which I seriously hope we aren't going to fork out for him. Add to the fact that we would probably have to trade picks for him and I say no thanks. If he comes at a reasonable price I'm all for it. But if he were interested in playing for a reasonable price he wouldn't be in a pissing match with the Jets.

Kendall wants a huge contract, which the Jets are not going to give to him because of his age, 34. Mangini knows that Kendall can help him out, but remember who his mentor is, Bill Belicheck. Mangini is loyal to his players, but when it comes to giving them raises, if he still has a contract, Mangini is going to wait on it.

What the Jets are arguing with Kendall is that he wants another $1 million added to his base salary of $1.7 million. The Jets do not want to renegotiate because he has three years left on his contract.

He does have a point in getting this contract. Kendall has already has his deal reworked to clear some room in the cap. Now that the Jets are standing good with about $10 million in cap space, he feels that the team should help him out.

I don't think Washington will give him that raise. We are tight enough on the cap as it is. I would certainly like to add Kendall for his contract, but I dont think we renegotiate it, nor do I think that Kendall would last for the duration. At the very least, this is a real concern, unlike the Duckett debacle last season.

I would do this in a heartbeat.... quicker then that if we could get him in camp this week. I refuse to believe that the FO hasnt even looked into obtaining this guys services. If they havent, then its time to worry just a little bit. He may be aging, but then again so are Samuels and Jansen. If he is still capable, then his age will just make his price more reasonable. Look how long Ray Brown played and performed well. I dont think it would be that expensive, and we are in dire need of healp and depth at O-Line.

I think he could potentially be the answer but isn't he stewing b/c he wants a new contract? Would he be any happier here? I'm not in favor of giving a 34 year old guard guaranteed dollars.

I'd consider dealing a future 6 based on playing time... as in if he starts 8 or 10 games, we owe em a 6. If he doesn't, we owe em nothing.

I think he could potentially be the answer but isn't he stewing b/c he wants a new contract? Would he be any happier here? I'm not in favor of giving a 34 year old guard guaranteed dollars.

I'd consider dealing a future 6 based on playing time... as in if he starts 8 or 10 games, we owe em a 6. If he doesn't, we owe em nothing.

I could see him wanting to come here for a starting position, and a deal paying closer to what he wants then what the Jets are willing to pay him. Didnt it say they were trying to play him at center as well? At least he might get a chance to play guard here. Are there any other free agent linemen or people available through some sort of trade?

No more draft picks. Lets go into next off-season fully loaded in the 2nd and later rounds. That is where true value like Cooley, Smoot, Blade, etc are found.

I agree. Golston and Montgomery are late round products. We seem to be pretty decent drafting back there, so lets keep our late rounders.

Can Kendall even zone block?

I was just reading more on the Kendall gripe with the Jets and he's actually not asking for that much money. According to an article that Bubba posted earlier he is scheduled to make $1.7M this year and says he was promised an extra $1M by Mangini if he wasn't released. The Jets decided not to give him the raise and refused to release him so he griped publicly and they have treated him like crap ever since. They demoted him and assigned him to the rookie dorm in camp. Talk about a chicken**** move by the team.

Exactly. Kendall would be good for a year or possibly two but he is looking for big money which I seriously hope we aren't going to fork out for him. Add to the fact that we would probably have to trade picks for him and I say no thanks. If he comes at a reasonable price I'm all for it. But if he were interested in playing for a reasonable price he wouldn't be in a pissing match with the Jets.

The guy is 34 y/o 6-5 and only 292 lbs. We need somebody 330 or 340.

Archived