Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to install Lattice under a deck.

smashmowf

www.lettucegrowingtips.com

Lettuce grows well under cooler conditions and needs plenty of water. If you plant your lettuce when low temperatures are around 40 degrees F and high temperatures are around 60 degrees F, your lettuce should do fine. Be aware that a hard freeze will still damage your lettuce. However, lettuce can survive light freezes, so not to worry. This makes lettuce an ideal crop to grow either during the fall or the early spring. Keep reading more for specific tips on how to grow great lettuce.

I just did mine, and instead of taking it flush to the edge of the deck, I nailed it to the support posts, giving my deck a bit of an overhang.

here's a few photos to show what I mean.

IMG_0181.jpg

This angle shows some of the joints to give you an idea of how is is fastened. (This photo needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise to show right.)

IMG_0183.jpg

And in this angle you can see how I made one side into a shed. A couple hinges, some 2x2 to brace the door, a latch and a wheel and it works like a charm. Keeps my lawn mower, gasoline, and a few other things nice and safe and hidden.

IMG_0182.jpg

Cutting it is the hard part, holding it steady is a pain, the skilsaw liked hanging up in the notches, so go slow. Obviously I've still got mulching to do. I'm going to put rose bushes under the overhang.

~Bang

I just did mine, and instead of taking it flush to the edge of the deck, I nailed it to the support posts, giving my deck a bit of an overhang.

here's a few photos to show what I mean.

This angle shows some of the joints to give you an idea of how is is fastened. (This photo needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise to show right.)

And in this angle you can see how I made one side into a shed. A couple hinges, some 2x2 to brace the door, a latch and a wheel and it works like a charm. Keeps my lawn mower, gasoline, and a few other things nice and safe and hidden.

Cutting it is the hard part, holding it steady is a pain, the skilsaw liked hanging up in the notches, so go slow. Obviously I've still got mulching to do. I'm going to put rose bushes under the overhang.

~Bang

Thanks for the response man.....It looks like you have molding on the gate, but not on the rest of the lattice that surrounds the deck. Now that you are finished what is your opinion on molding....is it needed for support or mainly just cosmetic?...Thats the part that has me a little confused (deciding when and where to use molding).

For the gate the molding is essential, the lattice is too flimsy without it to swing properly. It's a wide door, and it's on a slight grade,, so I also put a small wheel on the bottom with a spring on it so the wheel supports the door and glides up the grade when i open it.

On the rest of it, I just nailed directly to the posts and brought it all the way to the ground. I notched the ground a bit so it would lay in level, and that also gives some more support with the small bit of earth that covers the bottom.

Cosmetically, some corner molds on the post shown in photo 2 would look nice, but aren't necessary, and I didn't put them on. But now that you mention it, it's not a half bad idea. I may do it yet.

By the by, if you're in southern MD I know a terrific carpenter. It's hard to find a guy you can trust and knows what he's doing, but if you or anyone are interested, I'd be glad to PM you his number. I've used him on several projects, including that deck, and he's been a pleasure to have working for me.

~Bang

For the gate the molding is essential, the lattice is too flimsy without it to swing properly. It's a wide door, and it's on a slight grade,, so I also put a small wheel on the bottom with a spring on it so the wheel supports the door and glides up the grade when i open it.

On the rest of it, I just nailed directly to the posts and brought it all the way to the ground. I notched the ground a bit so it would lay in level, and that also gives some more support with the small bit of earth that covers the bottom.

Cosmetically, some corner molds on the post shown in photo 2 would look nice, but aren't necessary, and I didn't put them on. But now that you mention it, it's not a half bad idea. I may do it yet.

By the by, if you're in southern MD I know a terrific carpenter. It's hard to find a guy you can trust and knows what he's doing, but if you or anyone are interested, I'd be glad to PM you his number. I've used him on several projects, including that deck, and he's been a pleasure to have working for me.

~Bang

Sure, PM that number to me when you get a chance. I'll probably tackle this particular project myself, but who knows what the future will bring. Thanks fo r your advice.

I would suggest (strongly) using a vinyl lattice. Although the only drawback is they might not make it in the color you need. White and woodgrain iirc is what Lowes carries. Vinyl will last longer and be much easier to work with.

Use a cordless circ saw with a fine-tooth blade to cut it. You won't be fighting the ext. cord the entire time, which can easily get hung up in the lattice and mess up your cut. Adjust the depth of the saw blade to just slightly deeper than the material you are cutting. Use a chalk-line to mark your cuts, and do it when the weather is warm, as vinyl shrinks and expands greatly with the temp, and can crack if the weather is too cold (while you're handling it)

I used decking boards to "frame" my lattice work in. It covered up the seems where the lattice is joined, and gave it kind of a shadow-box effect. I think it turned out nice. A much cleaner look and professional appearance imho. Attached is a small pic, not sure if you can see it or not.

Good luck

I would suggest (strongly) using a vinyl lattice. Although the only drawback is they might not make it in the color you need. White and woodgrain iirc is what Lowes carries. Vinyl will last longer and be much easier to work with.

Use a cordless circ saw with a fine-tooth blade to cut it. You won't be fighting the ext. cord the entire time, which can easily get hung up in the lattice and mess up your cut. Adjust the depth of the saw blade to just slightly deeper than the material you are cutting. Use a chalk-line to mark your cuts, and do it when the weather is warm, as vinyl shrinks and expands greatly with the temp, and can crack if the weather is too cold (while you're handling it)

I used decking boards to "frame" my lattice work in. It covered up the seems where the lattice is joined, and gave it kind of a shadow-box effect. I think it turned out nice. A much cleaner look and professional appearance imho. Attached is a small pic, not sure if you can see it or not.

Good luck

Hmmm....I like the framing idea.....I might give it a shot...what is the life expectancy on the wood.....hopefully I'll just need about 5 years.

Archived