Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meteor Shower?

Hunny

I read there's supposed to be a pretty impressive meteor shower tonight starting at 2 am est. I was wondering if anyone knew if those of us in Northern VA would be able to see it? The article I read online didn't say in what area of the country it could be seen from. Or maybe everyone can see it and I'm just dumb? :silly:

It began at 10:30 here in Jersey. It was weak, we only saw two. The moon is at a point where, although we can't see it well, it blocks any light going to the meteors, making them hard to see.

I laid a rug out in the field and drank some wine with a couple of girlfriends after dinner. Nothing to really see, but the weather is perfect, so it was worth it.

It began at 10:30 here in Jersey. It was weak, we only saw two. The moon is at a point where, although we can't see it well, it blocks any light going to the meteors, making them hard to see.

I laid a rug out in the field and drank some wine with a couple of girlfriends after dinner. Nothing to really see, but the weather is perfect, so it was worth it.

Playa playa.

Oh and I didn't see a damn thing. Pretty disappointed.

It's a global show, but for meteors you want to be under dark skies. In urban or suburban areas you might see a few but they will be faint.

I heard that this years Perseid meteor show was a little weak too.

But as Kool said, lying out on a blanket with your honey and a bottle of wine on a warm summers evening is a good way to pass the time, even if you don't see anything in the sky.

It's a global show, but for meteors you want to be under dark skies. In urban or suburban areas you might see a few but they will be faint.

I heard that this years Perseid meteor show was a little weak too.

But as Kool said, lying out on a blanket with your honey and a bottle of wine on a warm summers evening is a good way to pass the time, even if you don't see anything in the sky.

Isn't that what this shower was?

Isn't that what this shower was?

Yes. Perseids is early August, as we pass through the tail of comet Swift Tuttle. It's one of the best and usually the temperatures are ideal for watching.

There are other good ones, Leonids in November, Geminids in December, and Quadrantids in January, but it's not so comfortable lying on the ground for a few hours at those times of year, at least in northern parts. :)

There are others, but they're not as strong or reliable. I'd recommend going out to really dark skies for one of the major meteor showers. Seeing a real fireball every few minutes is pretty cool.

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/showers-2007.htm

Coming back from the game at about 2 a.m. on Saturday night (Sunday morning actually) I saw the entire night sky light up with the brightest shooting star I have ever seen.

I was on the interstate about halfway between Nashville and Cookeville... basically the middle of nowhere. Anyways... I've seen shooting stars before, but nothing EVER anywhere close to what that was. It was like a camera flash. Pretty wild.

When we had that really big one about 6 years ago, I was living in Vegas. I came home from a date and while sitting in the car, I started to see shooting stars and she told me about it. We drove about a half hour outside of town, around the mountain, where there was no light and watched. They were the size of dimes. It was truely amazing, you could see the differences in colors as the burned by. Images i'll never forget. The girl I will though.

You can't beat a dark sky for observing these.

Unrelated, here's a pic taken by a friend on Saturday night up on Spruce Knob in WV, home to the darkest skies on the East Coast. Most other areas have lost these kind of views to light pollution.

The picture is of the open star cluster M52 and the Bubble Nebula NGC 7635

http://members.cox.net/bbergert/M52_Bubble_071307_web.jpg

In 2 hours, I saw 3. What a let down. 60-90 per hour my ass. :mad:

Where were you? 60-90 per hour is for a good year (it varies each time we pass through the old tail of the comet) and what you would see in very dark skies.

This year the numbers were closer to 20 per hour, but in suburuban areas it's pretty much a waste of time.

Archived