Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should they add one more wildcard team to each conference??

michael_33

My brother and I were talking on the phone yesterday and he said they should add another wilcard team to playoffs next year.

But,i was a little hesitant on saying yes and here's my reason.

1)no more 10-6 teams not making the playoffs, i would guess.

2)who wants an nba playoff scenario where half the teams are in it?

3)the playoffs should have quality (not quantity)representing the playoffs.

But who knows?

what are your guys opinions on this?

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I would add 1 more WC team. Let the top team have a bye week but the others need to play 3 to get to the SB.

I say add 2 WC (in ea. conference) teams and eliminate the bye week!

Everyone plays every week...Makes home field advantage much more desirable!

C'mon guys... think a little before you answer.

Do you like the NBA? Do you like the NHL? Of course you do. Does it bother you so bad when your team makes it to the playoffs? Do you feel cheated because so many other teams made it?

HELL NO!

You just happy that you are there, and your still watching games.

The NFL should absolutely add two more teams. Drama was lacking big time in the NFC this year. One more team to the playoffs and the chances are that THREE other teams and their fan bases are in wildcard contention this past week.

You purist freak me out. Sure, let's let most of the teams/fan bases pack it in in mid-November, even though the league is adding expansion teams every other year. What gives? Only one teams wins it all regardless of who shares in the playoff love...

Sure, let's model it after Baseball. Heaven knows how popular and fan friendly that sport is...

Originally posted by MikeB

The NFL should absolutely add two more teams. Drama was lacking big time in the NFC this year. One more team to the playoffs and the chances are that THREE other teams and their fan bases are in wildcard contention this past week.

Er.. no drama? There were still 19 teams with a chance of making the playoffs as of Saturday morning. So 60% of the league has a chance entering the final weekend, and there's no drama? Look, we all love football, and more playoff games would be nice, because, well because they're playoff games. But 12 playoff teams out of 32 is certainly enough for me.

But this will become an issue sometime in the next couple of years. Just watch, next season, a team will finish 10-6, but they won't get in, yet a 9-7 or 8-8 division winner will. Then the outcry will begin.

No, no, no!

I like the drama of teams ... decent teams ... NOT making the playoffs. I like the fact that the playofs are reserved for (more or less) the best performers, not just every team that managed to play above .500.

I would hate to see it watered down further. 8-8 teams would get in. Yuck!

No. :no:

Well, lots of mediocre teams make the playoffs in the NBA and NHL. It's still fun, and doesn't detract from the excitement of the playoffs one bit. I would just like to see more "viable" scenarios play out in week 18 other than "will the Eagles get home field throughout."

Canyonero!, I don't think that was the case for the NFC. Not the NFL mind you, but the NFC. There really wasn't much debate as to who is getting in other than NO and Atlanta.

Do you like the NBA? Do you like the NHL? Of course you do. Does it bother you so bad when your team makes it to the playoffs? Do you feel cheated because so many other teams made it?

Actually, I really DON'T like the NBA (don't watch much hockey...sorry). They play waaay too many regular season games. So many in fact that most regular season games have little if any importance.

Having too many playoff teams creates a similar scenario. I'd much rather the Skins make the playoffs and have it mean something than to have them do it every other year with an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

I think a lot of the furor over the possibility of 8-8 teams making the playoffs while teams with better records potentially sit idle is valid. However, that's largely a function of the NFL's division system. The realignment that created two extra divisions has exacerbated the issue since relatively weak teams in weak divisions (ie the Packers) will automatically get in by virtue of winning their divisions. That's just the way it is though. If you want to assure yourself of a playoff spot, then win your division and you're in...period. If not, well then it's a toss up.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Having too many playoff teams creates a similar scenario. I'd much rather the Skins make the playoffs and have it mean something than to have them do it every other year with an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

Points well taken, but if you look at who made the playoffs this year, there where plenty of 9-7 teams go. Atlanta, the Jets, and Cleveland all are in and all only have 9 wins. If you look at this year, two more wildcard teams would have meant adding NO, and either NE or Denver, two more 9-7 teams. I just don't see what the difference is?

Everyone is saying they only want the best in, but in reality, we would have been adding two more teams that are just as good (debatably better) then the current wildcard teams. That would have opened up plenty of opportunity for other teams and their fans to enjoy football in December and January.

I'm with you Mike. I'm all for 2 more spots in each conference platoffs. Look at all the years past when we've been teh 7th best team in the conference. thats complete and utter BS. Right now a 10-6 team who's second in their division can get shoved out of the playoffs while a 9-7 who wins their division can get in. Thats real crappy. Who cares if half the division is in the playoffs. That means more games and more money for the NFL. Look at the NBA. Most people say 'I dont start watching basketball until the playoffs start'. Thats cause thats when the games really mean something. Teams like Miami and New England are good teams that could have caused some problems in the playoffs. But instead they get to sit at home and watch. Sure we like that cause we hate Norv Turner, but I was betting on Ricky to do some damage in the playoffs.

We need to make the number 1 seed prove that theyre the best team in the conference (something that winning 2 games doesn't always do).

I'm against adding more teams than there already are. Sure, it may cause some excitement in a few cities, but has an overall cheapening effect on the regular season. I remember not so long ago when the NHL had 21 teams, and 16 made the playoffs.

However, I agree that the expansion of teams in the playoffs is inevitable, as alluded to by another poster in the thread. But lets examine how an eight-team format would've played out in the NFC this year. The team with the seventh-best record in the NFC was a stumbling New Orleans at 9-7. Then there were four teams with 7-9 records that would vie for the eighth position. Or, worse, if the rules governed that only the first-and second-place teams in each division got in, we would've had the spectre of the 6-10 Vikings in the show. Yikes!!!

Archived