Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Norv And Marty Ordering Pizza/Beer for Playoffs

bulldog

from the seat of their own living rooms, just like the Redskins and a host of other also-rans in the NFL :)

so much for Chris Berman kicking the Redskins in the pants, it appears these miracle workers forgot to tell their teams they had to play BOTH halves of the season :laugh:

Ye, out here in CA, the Skins have had to deal with the Charger fans all season because of the Marty saga, well they didn't even bother to show up to the sportsbar this week. Miami, well tough break. I don't mind Norv anymore, I mean he is an Offensive coordinator and he excells at that, and no one has ever said otherwise, just as a head coach he was lacking. My old neighbor was a huge Dolphins fan so I can imagine he probobaly threw something through his tv after the JETS game....hahahaha, I love when other team's fans put their feet in their mouths before the season is over....Now we can all enjoy the superbowl together on the SAME COUCH~!

I don't know if anyone remembers this but here is an article ripping Synder for letting Marty (The genius) walk away. This was written by this dweeb when SD was 6-1. This was posted here by Someone and I saved it and am going to email this guy with his story and get his opinions of the genius:rolleyes:

Of course I also put his email at the bottom for anyone who wants to email him also

November 3, 2002

Daniel Snyder was unavailable for comment. The owner of the Washington Redskins doesn't do interviews during the season, or so his spokesman said.

Pity. I had hoped to personally thank the little twerp for firing Marty Schottenheimer. I wanted Danny Boy to know just how well the antiquated coach was working out in San Diego, and see if Steve Spurrier might need any Super Bowl tickets.

I wanted to tell the bumptious boor just how badly he has blown it in sacking Schottenheimer after a single 8-8 season. I wanted Snyder to hear my laughter, feel my contempt and understand the epic error of his ways.

The told-you-so task falls to me because Schottenheimer is above that sort of thing. Though he goes to great lengths to avoid mentioning Snyder by name, Schottenheimer eschews gloating because of how quickly fortunes can change in pro football. Besides, revenge, however sweet, is an obstacle to readiness. Marty Schottenheimer is all about readiness.

"I have no ill will," Schottenheimer said. "I'm happy I got an opportunity to coach in a place like San Diego."

Schottenheimer is no happier with his opportunity than is San Diego to have him. The Bolts are 6-1 entering this afternoon's scrimmage with the New York Jets, a record equaled only by the Green Bay Packers. Spurrier's genius notwithstanding, the Redskins stand 3-4.

Schottenheimer, consequently, is the leading candidate for NFL Coach of the Year. Snyder, meanwhile, remains its poster boy for knee-jerk jerkdom.

Snyder is wealth without wisdom, power without prudence, a clumsy, callous child in a game meant for grown-ups. He has employed four head coaches in his four-year reign with the Redskins – at one point, he had employed four in a span of 13 months – and has created a business model based on petty tyranny, reckless spending and dubious expertise. Snyder is like George Steinbrenner without the championships, like Marge Schott without the subtlety. Compared with Daniel Snyder, the irascible Alex Spanos comes off like Cary Grant.

Last week, a Los Angeles sportswriter recalled a chance encounter with Snyder at the Redskins training camp. Having wandered into an area where Snyder was smoking cigars with some of the team's broadcasters, the reporter dared to initiate conversation. He was subsequently harangued by a security guard for having the effrontery to speak to Snyder.

Later, when a publicist pitched a story concerning Snyder's charity work, the reporter declined. Read Snyder's biography in the Redskins media guide and you'd think him a candidate for canonization. Examine his record for making employees miserable, and you'd know him to be a fraud. Daniel Snyder loves mankind; it's people he can't stand.

(Just for the record, Snyder does give interviews during the season when it suits his purpose. He was quoted at some length in The Washington Post on Sept. 24, expressing "complete confidence in our coaching staff," after his team's 1-2 start. He also arranged for a friendly Post columnist to meet the Rolling Stones. It's easy to see that Snyder would be reluctant to discuss Schottenheimer's success. It's hard to see that avoiding the subject is consistent with some in-season interview policy.)

The purpose of my call was to determine if Snyder wanted to retract, amend or clarify his comments deriding Schottenheimer as outdated.

"I made a mistake," Snyder told Newsweek this past summer. "I listened to the media when they told me I needed a traditional football guy, an NFL guy, so I did that, and I got a 1960s football team. And 1960s football teams don't really do well these days."

The fundamentals of football and of leadership have not really changed in the decades since Vince Lombardi. While the passing game has surely grown more sophisticated during Schottenheimer's career, NFL games can still be won with defense and by avoiding turnovers. If this emphasis fails to excite Snyder, it is nonetheless what works. (See Super Bowl XXXVI.)

"This game hasn't changed," Schottenheimer said. "It's still about blocking and tackling. It's still about taking care of the ball, finding out what the players you have do best . . . When you look at our football team, we've got a wonderful running back (LaDainian Tomlinson), people who can block and a quarterback (Drew Brees) who can manage the game and not make errors."

Snyder prefers flash. (See Sanders, Deion.) When Snyder lured Spurrier with a five-year contract worth $25 million, Snyder cited (redundantly) the Florida coach's "supercharged, exciting and dynamic brand of football."

Spurrier, accustomed to looking deep on every down in the Southeastern Conference, has only lately realized the value of the 4-yard gain. Willing to accept narrow personnel input at the time of his hiring, Spurrier now sees a need for more sweeping authority. Come to think of it, he's getting more like Marty Schottenheimer by the minute.

"I don't know anything about Washington, and I don't know Daniel Snyder," said John Butler, the Chargers general manager. "All I know is there was a heck of a football coach available when we needed one."

tim.sullivan@uniontrib.com

:D

here is the email I sent to this guy:

This is an article you wrote when the Chargers were 6-1 and you were real proud of Marty. I have no personal dislike for Marty and even think he is a decent guy from meeting him at training camp in Carlisle. Marty's team has crashed and burned again. He has always had the rep for never being able to win the big one. Understandable now, isn't it? In your article you said (and I quote) "Pity. I had hoped to personally thank the little twerp for firing Marty Schottenheimer. I wanted Danny Boy to know just how well the antiquated coach was working out in San Diego, and see if Steve Spurrier might need any Super Bowl tickets" maybe we should inquire for a few extra for Marty also. Also just in case you forgot here is the article you "wrote":

November 3, 2002

Daniel Snyder was unavailable for comment. The owner of the Washington Redskins doesn't do interviews during the season, or so his spokesman said.

Pity. I had hoped to personally thank the little twerp for firing Marty Schottenheimer. I wanted Danny Boy to know just how well the antiquated coach was working out in San Diego, and see if Steve Spurrier might need any Super Bowl tickets.

I wanted to tell the bumptious boor just how badly he has blown it in sacking Schottenheimer after a single 8-8 season. I wanted Snyder to hear my laughter, feel my contempt and understand the epic error of his ways.

The told-you-so task falls to me because Schottenheimer is above that sort of thing. Though he goes to great lengths to avoid mentioning Snyder by name, Schottenheimer eschews gloating because of how quickly fortunes can change in pro football. Besides, revenge, however sweet, is an obstacle to readiness. Marty Schottenheimer is all about readiness.

"I have no ill will," Schottenheimer said. "I'm happy I got an opportunity to coach in a place like San Diego."

Schottenheimer is no happier with his opportunity than is San Diego to have him. The Bolts are 6-1 entering this afternoon's scrimmage with the New York Jets, a record equaled only by the Green Bay Packers. Spurrier's genius notwithstanding, the Redskins stand 3-4.

Schottenheimer, consequently, is the leading candidate for NFL Coach of the Year. Snyder, meanwhile, remains its poster boy for knee-jerk jerkdom.

Snyder is wealth without wisdom, power without prudence, a clumsy, callous child in a game meant for grown-ups. He has employed four head coaches in his four-year reign with the Redskins – at one point, he had employed four in a span of 13 months – and has created a business model based on petty tyranny, reckless spending and dubious expertise. Snyder is like George Steinbrenner without the championships, like Marge Schott without the subtlety. Compared with Daniel Snyder, the irascible Alex Spanos comes off like Cary Grant.

Last week, a Los Angeles sportswriter recalled a chance encounter with Snyder at the Redskins training camp. Having wandered into an area where Snyder was smoking cigars with some of the team's broadcasters, the reporter dared to initiate conversation. He was subsequently harangued by a security guard for having the effrontery to speak to Snyder.

Later, when a publicist pitched a story concerning Snyder's charity work, the reporter declined. Read Snyder's biography in the Redskins media guide and you'd think him a candidate for canonization. Examine his record for making employees miserable, and you'd know him to be a fraud. Daniel Snyder loves mankind; it's people he can't stand.

(Just for the record, Snyder does give interviews during the season when it suits his purpose. He was quoted at some length in The Washington Post on Sept. 24, expressing "complete confidence in our coaching staff," after his team's 1-2 start. He also arranged for a friendly Post columnist to meet the Rolling Stones. It's easy to see that Snyder would be reluctant to discuss Schottenheimer's success. It's hard to see that avoiding the subject is consistent with some in-season interview policy.)

The purpose of my call was to determine if Snyder wanted to retract, amend or clarify his comments deriding Schottenheimer as outdated.

"I made a mistake," Snyder told Newsweek this past summer. "I listened to the media when they told me I needed a traditional football guy, an NFL guy, so I did that, and I got a 1960s football team. And 1960s football teams don't really do well these days."

The fundamentals of football and of leadership have not really changed in the decades since Vince Lombardi. While the passing game has surely grown more sophisticated during Schottenheimer's career, NFL games can still be won with defense and by avoiding turnovers. If this emphasis fails to excite Snyder, it is nonetheless what works. (See Super Bowl XXXVI.)

"This game hasn't changed," Schottenheimer said. "It's still about blocking and tackling. It's still about taking care of the ball, finding out what the players you have do best . . . When you look at our football team, we've got a wonderful running back (LaDainian Tomlinson), people who can block and a quarterback (Drew Brees) who can manage the game and not make errors."

Snyder prefers flash. (See Sanders, Deion.) When Snyder lured Spurrier with a five-year contract worth $25 million, Snyder cited (redundantly) the Florida coach's "supercharged, exciting and dynamic brand of football."

Spurrier, accustomed to looking deep on every down in the Southeastern Conference, has only lately realized the value of the 4-yard gain. Willing to accept narrow personnel input at the time of his hiring, Spurrier now sees a need for more sweeping authority. Come to think of it, he's getting more like Marty Schottenheimer by the minute.

"I don't know anything about Washington, and I don't know Daniel Snyder," said John Butler, the Chargers general manager. "All I know is there was a heck of a football coach available when we needed one."

Also "The Bolts are 6-1 entering this afternoon's scrimmage with the New York Jets", some scrimmage 44-13 Jets. That's ok though as everyone is allowed to make mistakes, unless you are Dan Synder

Thank you for your time

Hope to get a respnse from you

Jeff

I'm glad someone posting this thread. I don't hate either Norv or Marty personally, but I don't care for either coaching my team.

When things were going well for both of them, the media couldn't resist ripping Dan Snyder and the Skins for getting rid of them. Where are those guys now?

Is anyone going to point out how the 'genius' Turner managed to take an 1,850 yard rushing performance and translate it into sitting at home watching the playoffs? Anyone want to tell us what a brilliant teacher/motivator Marty is after that 6-1 start?

Originally posted by escholz

Actually, he probably will. He returned my email when I sent him one after first reading that article.

Of course that was back when the Chargers were 6-2. :)

I think he'll respond. He'll still probably say the Redskins would have been better this year with Marty, which may have been true. Still, I think we're in better shape without him.

I fired off an email of my own, posting the article after I wrote this:

Only a success-starved San Diego sportswriter could get orgasmic and spiteful over a 6-1 start. I sure hope the Holidays cheered you up in December because Marty sure as hell didn't. Best of luck next year.

Love,

A Redskins Fan

P.S.- want to take bets on whether the Redskins win the Super Bowl before the Chargers do?

I'd like to hear if this guy actually responds, or if he is "unavailable for comment". I love Marty, I still think he is a heck of a football coach and I think he really took one on the chin for the sake of the future of this franchise and I will never say anything bad about him, but this guy is a complete jackoff and although I'm not thrilled to see Marty out of the playoffs, its nice to know this guy got his comeupance.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted sent by redman to Tim Sullivan at the S.D. Union Tribune on December 30, 2002

Only a success-starved San Diego sportswriter could get orgasmic and spiteful over a 6-1 start. I sure hope the Holidays cheered you up in December because Marty sure as hell didn't. Best of luck next year.

Love,

A Redskins Fan

P.S.- want to take bets on whether the Redskins win the Super Bowl before the Chargers do?

Here was the response I got just now:

>From: tim.sullivan@uniontrib.com

>Subject: RE: I told you so?

>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:40:42 -0800

>

>Thanks for your message. I grew up in the Washington area and had almost

>forgotten how insufferable Redskins fans are. Thanks for the reminder.

>

>In any case, let's look at the facts: The Chargers finished with a better

>record than the Redskins; the Chargers improved under Marty Schottenheimer;

>the Redskins declined under Steve Spurrier.

>

>What conclusion would you draw from that?

>

>Best wishes,

>Tim Sullivan

Don't worry, I'll respond.

The funniest thing is, for all the ripping the media gave Snyder for firing Schott.....most fans on sports radio during the season still referred to him as Marty Losenheimer, and seemed to not think Snyder was an idiot for firing him.....it is all in the history of what he has actually accomplished.

BWAHAHAHAHA. CHeck out the response I got from this moron.

Dear Bill:

Thanks for your message. By my calculations, the Chargers finished with

a

better record than the Redskins; the Chargers showed improvement under

Marty

Schottenheimer; the Redskins declined in Schottenheimer's absence.

Yes, neither team made the playoffs. Yes, the Chargers had a lousy

second

half. But I fail to see how that gives Redskin fans room to gloat. If

memory

serves, Schottenheimer's Redskins won their last five games last year.

How

does that fit with your theory that his teams always fade?

Best wishes,

Tim Sullivan

We finished with 5 straight wins last year??????

My response-

Tim Tim Tim,

Thanks for showing your idiocy. The Skins finished 3-3 last year after evening up at 5-5 (after the 0-5 start). How do morons like you get jobs in the media when you cant even do research correctly? Marty's team choked away chances to make the post season last year. And that trend continues.

The facts are clear Tim. Marty had to win 3 out of his final 9 games this year to make the playoffs. But when it came time to produce, Marty lost to such vaunted teams like the Rams, Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs, Bills and Seahawks. None of which made the playoffs. The Skins finished 3-4 when they had a a playoff chance, losing to Dallas (inexcusible) and to the Giants twice and Eagles. Both of which were playoff teams.

Redskin fans have become accustomed to the media hating our team. In fact, we cherish it now. But do us a favor and at least have your facts and figures correct.

Enjoy the Superbowl. Will they still allow San Diego to host it after the Chargers move to L.A.?

Regards,

Bill

Thanks to John Butler, Marty already had Drew Brees and Tomlinson to build with in SD.

Marty didn't leave Spurrier with that kind of young talent at the skill spots. Our choices were Banks, Graham and the wild blue yonder at qb :laugh:

Davis is 29 and now comes into an unmanageable cap year right off the bat so that even if Spurrier wanted to keep him it would be difficult.

The truth is SD is one year ahead of the Skins (program-wise) because Butler was hired in '01 and had that year's draft and FA class, including Marcellus Wiley and others, returning in 2002 for Marty to use.

What will be interesting to watch is what happens in 2003, when BOTH coaches have more of their players on board and are familiar with their opponents and new circumstances :)

Archived