Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flemister RE-UPs..

Chris 44

It's true TCO. Here's the article.

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, December 29, 2002; Page D08

The Washington Redskins signed Zeron Flemister to a three-year contract extension worth slightly more than $2 million, keeping the tight end from becoming a restricted free agent in the offseason. The deal includes a $350,000 signing bonus.

"We think Zeron is continuing to improve and has tremendous upside for the future," Redskins owner Daniel Snyder said.

Flemister, 26, has been the Redskins' best pass-catching tight end with 10 receptions for 146 yards and two touchdowns this season. He had a salary of $375,000 this year. He has 28 catches in three seasons since signing with the Redskins as an undrafted rookie out of Iowa in April 2000. He had 17 receptions last season.

He shared playing time this season with Walter Rasby and Leonard Stephens. The Redskins were impressed in the preseason with rookie tight end Robert Royal, a fifth-round draft choice out of Louisiana State, but placed him on the injured reserve list when he severely sprained his ankle just before the season.

The signing of Flemister means the Redskins probably won't try to make a significant upgrade at tight end and will rely on Royal and Flemister as their primary pass-catchers at the position next season. The Redskins want to spend their money improving other areas of the offense, likely by adding two wide receivers and two guards.

Flemister becomes the second prospective free agent to be signed to a contract extension by the team in recent weeks. The club signed right tackle Jon Jansen to a six-year, $25-million deal 10 days ago to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

The team's next priority is to try to re-sign defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency in March. Snyder and Joe Mendes, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, have been negotiating with Gardener's agent, Neil Schwartz. The two sides appear far apart on the financial terms of a multiyear contract but seem intent upon continuing to craft an agreement. Gardener has said repeatedly that he plans to be with the Redskins next season. He was one of the team's top players this season after signing a one-year, $775,000 contract with the Redskins in July following his release by the Miami Dolphins.

Oh, I didn't think it was a fake. I just think it's absurd. Flem was a few days from being cut before Royal and Rasby got hurt at the end of training camp.

Zeron Flemister, 26, has been the Redskins' best pass-catching tight end with 10 receptions for 146 yards and two touchdowns this season.

Damn, it's a good thing we won't have to replace that production! :doh:

People were wanting the skins front office to act more like Phillies in retaining the young, prospective players when their contract came up or before the contract came up.

The skins office has just done that on two players; Janson and Flemister.

Flemister may not have had the season everyone was hoping for. But remember; he's a second year player learning a second offense in two years. An offense totally different from the previous one, bordering on radically different considering the coaches. Maybe they want to see how he progresses in the offseason.

Maybe they see some talent there; like they did with Thompson (who incidently hung around for several years just taking up space before getting his shot.)

It wasn't exactly a killer contract.

Also, Maybe it will tide us over to when Kellen Winslow jr. comes out. :laugh:

Or maybe that UVA TE who looks like a prospect.

I remember that article now. Never quite agreed with the assumption that Flem was close to being gone. Simply by what the coach said. If he was close to being cut, it was based on injury rather than talent or lack thereof. Again, the question is, if that was the case then, and the coaches are counting on Rasby and Royal in the future, why the extension? Keeping in mind that numbers for a TE in an S.S. offense are less thean stellar. Sigh, not that the extension is actually breaking the bank or anything. Like DB, and Montilar already stated. :cheers:

He's not horrible, but I'm not particularly looking forward to or counting on his return. Perhaps that's just me. And I'd wait until we got Gardener extended, and Champ, and picked up someone like Mo Collins before we start trying to hold on to the likes of Flemister. To me, he doesnt fall into that "hold onto them to build team chemistry and stability" category. I expect Royal to be the pass-catching TE, and would prefer the other TE to be in the Rasby mold.

I think the Redskins generally want to carry three tight ends if possible. Flemister has shown the ability to get some yards after the catch. He certainly appeared to regress this year in my view looking, at times, disinterested. I thought he was likely going to be replaced as well, but, the team is clearly showing something here.

Flemister is really not costing that much. We have a player who is familiar with the organization and the offense and he's not going to cost much, if any, more than another new guy. Royal is my bet for the top spot, but, Flemister, if he learns to catch, might be an ok prospect. For the money I don't know what any of us can be complaining about here.

Sometimes it's better to keep your own players than to replace them with something a bit more shiny from another team. Growth within a system and a team is often more important than anything else. I don't hate this move. I thought Flem would be cut loose. He's not. He's a young player with some skills. I'll count this one as a win for now.

I've always liked Flem, although I thought he was a goner for sure. His mistakes this year have been mostly dropped balls. He could've had a whopping 15 catches if he didn't have hands of stone.

What concerns me about that though is that dropped balls can't be corrected with learning a system. Hopefully the coaches will work with him and iron that out.

Keep in mind we don't know if Royal will pan out. He's coming off a serious injury and all his production came in the preseason. Rasby isn't really worth anything as a pass catcher.

Sure, we have a crappy TE trio, but we don't utilize them enough to be concerned about it.

This is the stability that I wanted to see--just surprised it was with Flem. I have wanted us to sign guys who were talented to a 3 or 4 year deal after their 3rd year in the league, not wait until the 4th year. If Kalu and Thrash had gotten a deal like this after year 3--they would still be here. Flem just hasn't look that good this year. I have high hopes for Royal--Rasby has a cap figure of 650K next season. I wonder if this signing is the end for Rasby.

I thought Zeron had a terrible year. I believe he has dropped more catchable balls than he caught and his edge blocking likely hasn't been anything to write home about, as we began to improve when Rasby started playing again and getting more time on the line. I did think much better of him last year and agree the contract is not a killer, but I didn't see him as being a guy who anyone would offer more than the minimum offer for. He's a guy with some tangibles, but very little production... this year. This move other than allowing for some consistency doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know, maybe he has looked good in practice and he is doing some positive stuff the tv camera just isn't finding.

BTW, what is the salary range for TE's. I think they're on the low side of the scale, but has Zeron entered the lower class or middle class of TE's?

A $2 million deal over 3 years really equates to three years of minimum base salaries plus a $350K bonus, so really we got the better end of the deal. Flem would have been a restricted free agent and could have signed with any team without us receiving draft pick compensation.

You'd think Rasby would be gone as well, but he's also slated to make a base salary of $650K-- the minimum for a veteran with his years of experience. The Skins will probably keep him around for another year unless they can find a younger blocking TE to invest in.

Its minimum salary for three years. I'm assuming Spurrier saw something in him to hold on to him. Also remember we've been preaching continuity all year. Signing your 26 year old tightend for three years is just that, Continuity and stability at the position.

Archived