Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heard at the Park - 7/27/07 Training Camp Day One

Tarhog

Heard at the Park - 7/27'07 - Training Camp Day 1 Quotes

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Coach Joe Gibbs

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Ladell Betts, Santana Moss, Shawn Springs, and London Fletcher

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Marcus Washington

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Brandon Lloyd, Cornelius Griffin, Chris Samuels, Chris Cooley, and Jason Campbell

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Renaldo Wynn

Click HERE to read today's Training Camp comments by Clinton Portis

:helmet:

"On how it feels to be the coach for the 75th anniversary celebration:

“I think the Redskins is the greatest sports franchise in the world. It’s neat being the coach here; it’s the only place that I can envision myself being the head coach. We have special fans, a special community; I don’t think anybody has more of a loyal following than the Redskins have. I think we have a great owner and a great organization and its fun coaching here.”

This really got to me, I can't think of a better person to be leading our team in it's 75th anniversary. :notworthy

Clinton Portis, On how training camp can be improved to improve this team:

"I don’t know how training camp can be improved. My idea of improving training camp is turning this into a

resort. And then going into the season healthy. I think the more guys you can get into the season healthy, the

better chance you have. Coach Gibbs and the other coaches’ ideas are totally different than mine, but they’re the

rulers of this team, and they run this team. Whatever it is, I just have to buy into it. I can’t be an outcast

anymore. I can’t stand up and speak on behalf of the team. It’s every man for himself. You can’t speak for

another grown man. Every man out here is grown. You’ve got to pick your own poison and pick your own

battles. I’m weak from battling for everyone else. Now I’ve got to battle for myself and find a way to stay active

in the NFL. How it’s going today, you’re here one day and gone tomorrow. So I’ve got to enjoy my time while

I’m here and make the most of it, and that’s what I’m trying to do."

I found this quote to be somewhat unsettling.

Is it just me or is it that every time now my man CP opens his mouth I'll just be prepared for a few flinches. :D

I still love the guy. :logo:

Nice to hear that 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been in Washington he's been relaxed and comfortable... where he took things for granted. Geez.

""We settled our differences. We never really sat down and said what each other had to say, I just have to buy into his system," Portis said of Saunders. "If he says, 'I need you to run through that brick wall' . . . I'm going to find a way to get as close as I can and dive over the top of that brick wall and tell him I made it over. I didn't do it the way you asked me to do it, but I got there."

Does that really sound like they settled their differences? Coach tells you to do something.... and you come straight out and say you're not willing to go through a brick wall but you'll get around it somehow and let know coach that you prefer to do it YOUR way?

I wonder if Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson decided to "dive" over that wall.

Nice to hear that 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been in Washington he's been relaxed and comfortable... where he took things for granted. Geez.

""We settled our differences. We never really sat down and said what each other had to say, I just have to buy into his system," Portis said of Saunders. "If he says, 'I need you to run through that brick wall' . . . I'm going to find a way to get as close as I can and dive over the top of that brick wall and tell him I made it over. I didn't do it the way you asked me to do it, but I got there."

Does that really sound like they settled their differences? Coach tells you to do something.... and you come straight out and say you're not willing to go through a brick wall but you'll get around it somehow and let know coach that you prefer to do it YOUR way?

I wonder if Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson decided to "dive" over that wall.

I think this is a glimpse into why Portis may never be a truly special player. He really thinks he knows more than his coaches. He's got so much talent, he's still able to be an impact player despite the lack of 'buy-in' he openly confesses. Most players would find themselves on the bench, taking themselves out of the game of their own volition, openly admitting they only sometimes follow their coaches 'suggestions'. Not Portis. He does it 'his way'. Unfortunately, I think you're right Tony - he'll always be a gifted player who did it his way, sometimes to his team's benefit, but often to their detriment.

Wake up Portis.

I think this is a glimpse into why Portis may never be a truly special player. He really thinks he knows more than his coaches. He's got so much talent, he's still able to be an impact player despite the lack of 'buy-in' he openly confesses. Most players would find themselves on the bench, taking themselves out of the game of their own volition, openly admitting they only sometimes follow their coaches 'suggestions'. Not Portis. He does it 'his way'. Unfortunately, I think you're right Tony - he'll always be a gifted player who did it his way, sometimes to his team's benefit, but often to their detriment.

Wake up Portis.

Portis can still be successful.... and most likely will. But I've reached my Portis threshold.... I'm done being a fan of Clinton Portis. Get the "W".... I don't care if its Betts, Portis or Cartwright.

Portis can still be successful.... and most likely will. But I've reached my Portis threshold.... I'm done being a fan of Clinton Portis. Get the "W".... I don't care if its Betts, Portis or Cartwright.

Yeah, well, you're preaching to the guy who gave away his Portis authentic this off-season. My opinion, the guy isn't very bright, and I'm tired of his spontaneous comments. He needs to shut up and perform. I think he is smart enough to sense that much himself.

Yeah, well, you're preaching to the guy who gave away his Portis authentic this off-season. My opinion, the guy isn't very bright, and I'm tired of his spontaneous comments. He needs to shut up and perform. I think he is smart enough to sense that much himself.

Oh, I know :) And Portis has been schooled for sure. You don't have to read between the lines when a guy comes and says he can't wait until he retires in 5-6 years so he can speak his mind. "Clinton Portis don't know anything about anyone other than Clinton Portis". Every man for himself.

He's towing the company line.... but he's bitter about it.

This any different than the Arrington drama in his last few years?

He does it 'his way'. Unfortunately, I think you're right Tony - he'll always be a gifted player who did it his way, sometimes to his team's benefit, but often to their detriment.

Not saying that I disagree with this but just playing devil's advocate here.

Couldn't the same be said of John Riggins??

Sleeping during gameplan sessions

Drinking all week up til gametime

Telling Gibbs he'd make him famous

Being in a heavy pass offense when Gibbs first came here and grousing about his lack of carries

How about Gibbs calling in plays and the players on the field changing them??

Is Portis really THAT different??

Thoughts??

For CP, success=starting the trend of demanding a trade and "getting paid"

So he has been, and will be successful, by that definition.

I hope that he doesn't wait until he's too much older before he decides that success is measured in Lombardi trophies, not 'bling' and Bentley's. I remember when he appeared on NFL Total Access and he was talking about houses and square footage with Terrell Davis, and cars too. Kinda makes you wonder what the true motivation is for this guy. I saw a glimpse of the leadership quality in the streak of '05. I just hope that we can see that CP more often.

I'm not so sure he is that smart IMO. Portis is a great talent no doubt. One can still argue whether or not it was the O-line or BETTS at the end of last year who was so succesful. A combo of both I would imagine. That being said, if Portis wont run the way, or maybe he cant run the way, that is needed in this offense, then this is going to cause a problem for this team this year.

Gibbs is already unhappy with his mouth and unhappy about how he handles his offseason, and unhappy about his commitment to the pre-season. If Portis doesnt get with the program he will find himself backing up Betts. Gibbs wont tolerate much more of this. I was done with the whole "Portis Persona" last year when he spoke out about the coaching. He has done nothing to gain my support other than to put on a Redskins uni. Now I'm in the Betts camp and feel he could carry the load if needed. I know what positive things Portis could bring to this team, but at this point he needs to do the positives because he is wearing out his welcome in DC.:logo:

Being in a heavy pass offense when Gibbs first came here and grousing about his lack of carries

Thoughts??

Theres one difference.

Portis hasn't put this team on his back and carried them to the Promised Land.

Riggins did that, despite the bucking of convention individualistic maverick attitude he carried with him every step of the way.

If Portis walks the walk, all will be forgiven. If not, he's just another talented player who talks a better game than he can actually produce. Time will tell.

"On how it feels to be the coach for the 75th anniversary celebration:

“I think the Redskins is the greatest sports franchise in the world. It’s neat being the coach here; it’s the only place that I can envision myself being the head coach. We have special fans, a special community; I don’t think anybody has more of a loyal following than the Redskins have. I think we have a great owner and a great organization and its fun coaching here.”

This really got to me, I can't think of a better person to be leading our team in it's 75th anniversary. :notworthy

I had that section copied and ready to paste when I saw your post, Lowghost.

That jumped out at me too. It's just so hard to believe that Joe Gibbs is for real in this era of player AND coach free agency. The guy truly loves this team, and us fans. He knows we're different, and he knows how we suffer when this team struggles. I think that weighed heavily in his decision to come back.

I'll never be able to fully express how I feel about Joe Gibbs, as the leader of this football team, as a coach, and most importantly, as a man. I just thank God that he's ours.

Thoughts??

I may be wrong...but most of that was not known at the time. Many of this was brought out after Gibbs had left. Thats where for me Portis steps over the line. And Gibbs even mentioned that in his presser today. Portis cant keep anything to himself and out of the media. He gets in front of a camera and cant shut the **** up. Also, I dont remember Riggins being a "me first I know it all" type player. A rebel...yes, but he always seemed to care about his team and I dont see that as the case with Portis. The Arrington comparison...scary.:logo:

Couldn't that be due to the way the media covered things back then compared to today??

There's more media access today than there ever was back in '81/82. :2cents:

Thats a great point. Riggins as a player at the mic in 2007? Thats a natural disaster waiting to happen :laugh:

I think you guys are taking Clinton Portis too seriously.

No, he's NOT a leader. That much is obvious. But not everyone needs to be a leader. Jason is the leader in the huddle. Moss, Samuels, and Jansen are certainly leaders as well, and probably more vocally than Jason, at least at this point.

Portis is a clown, and I think most good teams have one or two of those as well. I dont think anything he has done to this point has really hurt the team. When it counts, he puts it all on the line. And we all know what Joe Gibbs thinks about him.

I mean seriously, his line about turning training camp into a resort was obviously a joke. So he may not have the 110%, no-nonsense, blue collar attitude that guys like Moss and Campbell seem to have, but that's just the way he is. Not everyone is perfect. He's always been this way, and its not going to change. I dont think it makes him a bad person. To be honest, I can sympathize with that view.

Anyway, thanks for putting these up, I always look forward to reading them. Those quotes make me realize how much I like Moss and Samuels. Those guys are great faces for this franchise, and invaluable to this offense. Redskins for life, the both of them. (I sure hope so anyway)

I had that section copied and ready to paste when I saw your post, Lowghost.

That jumped out at me too. It's just so hard to believe that Joe Gibbs is for real in this era of player AND coach free agency. The guy truly loves this team, and us fans. He knows we're different, and he knows how we suffer when this team struggles. I think that weighed heavily in his decision to come back.

I'll never be able to fully express how I feel about Joe Gibbs, as the leader of this football team, as a coach, and most importantly, as a man. I just thank God that he's ours.

HH, you wrote what I couldn't. :cheers:

I will not ever do well expressing how I feel in words.

Yet this section gets overlooked because of comments that CP made. :(

Archived