Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good to see Darrell will go out in style

fuji869

I am so glad to see this Sunday that Darrell Green will end his career as a Washington Redskin and be honored before his final home game. So many of our great player did not end their playing careers as Redskins as then were cut by the team or just left via free agency.

- Mark Rypien, Charles Mann, Ricky Sanders, Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic, Raleigh McKenzie and Jim Lachey were cut by Norval before the 1994 Season.

- Gary Clark left via free agency

- Brian Mitchell was cut before the 2000 Season.

- Dexter Manley was cut by the team after his 3rd positive drug test.

- Don Warren was cut after the 1992 Season

- Clint Didier was cut during the 1988 training camp

- John Riggins was wavered after the 1985 Season.

- Jon Theisman ended his career because of Lawrence Taylor breaking his leg.

- Doug Williams was cut after the 1989 Season.

- Finally when Joe Gibbs finished the 1992 Season not to many people thought he would retire in March of 1993.

I am so glad to see Darrell end his career as a Redskin and go out the proper way with all the bells and whistles during his final home game! :notworthy :thumbsup: :jump:

In some cases you can't blame the team for the departures.

The Skins gave Art Monk a $1 million contract in 1993 to come back for a 13th season, figuring that he would retire after that.

But Monk, being stubborn, went on to play another mediocre season as the #3 receiver with the New York Jets and then briefly the Philadelphia Eagles.

That one was on him.

Ditto for Riggins. Instead of retiring after 1985 when the sciatic pain in his leg and advanced age (almost 37) had reduced his effectiveness, Riggins waited around and forced Gibbs and the front office to have to release him.

In a lot of regards it just came down to ego. Or in the cases of Lachey and some others, cumulative injuries.

I agree it is nice to see Darrell retire as a Redskin.

At the same time remember that Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice and Roger Craig all ended up in other teams' uniforms after their careers with the 49ers were over...................

Originally posted by bulldog

At the same time remember that Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice and Roger Craig all ended up in other teams' uniforms after their careers with the 49ers were over...................

The Niners are famous for letting veterans go. Steve Young would have been let go if he did not reitre after the 1999 Season.

Neal Olkowitz is the last Redskin that went out being honored in his final home game in 1989.

It is gonna be a sad,sad day Sunday even if we win. It will be nice though to se him get all the attention on Sunday. Man I hope he can get an INT on SUnday and I agree he should play the whole game.

I doubt Darrell will got to the booth as I think for now he might just stay with his foundation for a while and return to the Skins front office in some form down the road

Actually bulldog, I believe Monk was offered 600k, which was half of what he had made the year before. When he balked, Norv said "Fine. Go." After Monk realized noone would pay him any more, he came back to accept the deal, but we had already signed Ellard. Monk ended up playing for the Jets for 575K.

I say that's more on Norv. Sure, he was rebuilding and wasn't too keen on keeping the old guys for a lot of money. And maybe Monk didn't see that, but IMHO he should have been given more of a chance to finish out his career here.

It would be really nice to win the game for Darrell. I am sure it would mean alot to him to go out on a winning note, especially against the cowboys. I would love to see him start and get significant playing time. I would jump for joy if he intercepted a pass. I would be in heaven if he returned that interception for the winning touchdown.

Here's to Darrell :pint:

Henry, I believe you're correct in the details. However, keep in mind that the 1.2 million Monk earned the previous year was basically a retirement gift from the Redskins as it was far above his market value at the time. That's how the Skins viewed it anyway, and they were caught by surprise when Monk saw different. So they again offered over market for him, but Monk was too proud to see that his value had dropped. I also wish things had turned out different but I think the Skins met him more than halfway.

I am not trying to bash the Redskin's Orgainzation becuase I know it is a business and these decisions are made.

What I am trying to say that is is so good to see Darrell Retire as a Redskin and it was both sides to thank, Darrell for staying in D.C. for less money and the Redskins for keeping a roster spot for him.

When you see Jerry Rice in a Raiders Uniform, Bruce Smith in a Redskins Uniform and Emmitt Smith about to wear another teams uniform it is so good to see Darrell Green end it all in the Burgundy and Gold! :thumbsup:

Archived