Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anticipating our new look nickel package...

chaught76

Our primary nickel package should be the 3-3-5. Carter, Griffin, Daniels on the line, then Rocky or Marshall, Fletcher, and Marcus as linebackers, then rogers on the slot receiver (even though i would start him over smoot in most cases) with springs and smoot on the outside as well as laron and taylor taking peoples heads off from the deep end. our linebackers are too good to have 4 down linemen on the field if you bring in the 5th DB.

What makes anyone think the pass rush is going to be better? What have they done to make the D-line better?

The sacks in GW's systems don't generally depend on the front 4. They are there more to lock up blockers to allow the blitzers to get through (not all the time...aka Carter...but more so than not). He relies more on unpredictable blitz packages that many times will use safeties and CBs. Watch the '04 or even '05 seasons and you'll notice that. There are a few reasons that the '06 season was horrible as far as sacks. First of all we had injury problems almost across the board. Griff, Big Joe, Marcus, Springs. Second, we had absolutely no depth whatsoever in the DB department. Since Springs was hurt so often we had to rely on career backup nickel guys to be starting CBs.

If you're going to do the sort of blitzing that GW likes to do, you're going to have to have guys that are dependable out on an island with a WR. We didn't have that. Then of course we had the Archuletta disaster which didn't help any either. As a result it turned into the sort of cobbled together cover 2 system that we saw...which still didn't seem to help much. Hopefully if our D line can stay healthy this year, Golston and Monty improve, and with the big depth we have in the DB department we will see the same sort of stuff we did the first couple of years.

Hey gang,

With the players we have now, are any of you excited about what our nickel defense is capable of now? I mean the personnel combinations are amazing and quite mind boogling. I am hoping and thinking we will use Rogers in the slot more. He is better tackler/hitter than Smoot. Also, where and who we use as our LBs in this package. The idea of moving Washington, McIntosh, and Fletcher around is going to cause a lot problems. What are do you all think? Here is to a great season!

HTTR!!! :helmet:

Carlos "NO D" Rogers is a better tackler/hitter than Smoot? Have you ever watched the game of football? Have you ever watched Smoot or Rogers play? Smoot is a thousand times better than "No D" in every aspect, in fact "No D" is now the FOURTH be CB on this team. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ade Jimoh is better than "No D" as well.

Our primary nickel package should be the 3-3-5. Carter, Griffin, Daniels on the line, then Rocky or Marshall, Fletcher, and Marcus as linebackers, then rogers on the slot receiver (even though i would start him over smoot in most cases) with springs and smoot on the outside as well as laron and taylor taking peoples heads off from the deep end. our linebackers are too good to have 4 down linemen on the field if you bring in the 5th DB.

A nickel pacage means you have FIVE (5) defensive backs not three, otherwise you're going to have LBs matched up against WRs and you're going get toasted, unless you're playing Madden.

Carlos "NO D" Rogers is a better tackler/hitter than Smoot? Have you ever watched the game of football? Have you ever watched Smoot or Rogers play? Smoot is a thousand times better than "No D" in every aspect, in fact "No D" is now the FOURTH be CB on this team. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ade Jimoh is better than "No D" as well.

considering you're the one referring to him as "NO D" rogers, I have to ask, have YOU ever watched the game of football?

Yea I Played, coach, and watch. And Carlos "No D" sucks. He gets burned everytime down the field, even when he gives a ten to fifteen yard cushion. So little man, don't step up to this plate 'cos you will end with a bruised ego.

It is very exciting. We definitely have the CBs to line up any which way we want, now. Macklin and Rogers both have the size and physichality to play in the slot, as does Srpings. Smoot and Butler are smaller but both have the speed to matchup on the outside.

But what I really love is just the flexibility we have all over. Fletcher is an EXCELLENT coverage LB, Washington is good in coverage too, as is Marshall. Rocky certainly has the athleticism to be solid in coverage, we'll just have to see what happens. I imagine when it's a passing situation, you'll see Washington take over for the Daniels/Evans/Wynn platoon on the strong side rushing the passer (or dropping out into coverage at times for added confusion) with Fletcher and Rocky (or Marshall) playing a lot of coverage. Just the overall felxibility we have now, LBs who can run and cover, CBs who can match up in the slot or on an island downfield and obviously, 2 safeties with the range and power to do anything you want them to do.

I'm very excited about this defense as a whole but the renewed potential to really bring creative blitz packages and disguise our blitzes is what really has me excited. We have players at each position in the back 7 that can play all different types of coverages which allows us to blitz from anywhere without worrying about putting someone who's a coverage liability in a bad spot. We only now finally have the ability to play 04's style of defense again, the style of defense that GW's really prefers and is able to get players to excel in.

Great post I think that same thing. If we can get back to 2004 defense we are going to be a dangerous team.

What makes anyone think the pass rush is going to be better? What have they done to make the D-line better?

Disguising coverages helps the pass rush. Actually being able to cover people helps the pass rush. Being able to make the QB go to another read helps the pass rush. Being able to blitz helps the pass rush. Having other LBers who can cover allowing Marcus to rush helps the pass rush. These are all simple concepts. Unfortunately, everyone loves to read ESPN and say "Redskin no have new DL. Only DL passrush. Redskin D suck."

Look into it a little more. When you reqatch the games and compare them with 04 and 05 you'll see that we basically were not running a Gregg Williams defense last year. We played scared, we played react instead of attack, we played no man, we played no bump coverage, we barely blitzed, we backed off the entire secondary and STILL got burned deep. Our LBers and secondary were the weakness of our defense last year.

This is what no one wants to understand or recognize. Almost NO teams can consistently stop the run with only 7 men, that's what we had to try to do last year because our coverage abilities were that bad. We didn't play 8 in the box. We didn't run blitz. We couldn't afford to because we couldn't trust our coverage down the field no matter how many people we dropped back. It is impossible to get a pass rush when the QB can take a 3 step drop unmolested and immediately find his first or second read open. That opposing QBs were able to do that, even against 8 men in coverage, should tell you just how bad our coverage really was. The DL had good games. Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans and Indy come to mind. We knocked the crap out of Peyton the entire first half but then he just started picking our coverage apart with quick throws. When Griff came back, Golston got in the lineup and Carter came on the DL was playing well. Guess who never played well one game the entire year (except maybe Car)? The entire ****ing back seven, that's who. We would try and stop the run out of the Cover 2 with Sean Taylor playing the run and having a deep half to himself. That doesn't work.

Yea I Played, coach, and watch. And Carlos "No D" sucks. He gets burned everytime down the field, even when he gives a ten to fifteen yard cushion. So little man, don't step up to this plate 'cos you will end with a bruised ego.

wow, internet tough guy, niice.

Anyway, go back and watch a couple games from last year. Check out the saints game, and the panthers game, and tell me he cant cover...

stop rolling with the bandwagon and think for yourself for once

Dude you're a fool. First of all, I'm the one for the past two years whose been screaming how bad he sucks. Secondly, while he played okay in those two games, he has been a joke in the other 30 games he's played, go back and watch film. You obviously are just a young kid and have no idea what you're talking about.

"No D" misses open field tackles, he can't cover, and he can't catch a cold. But don't worry he got his money, and that's all thats important to him, just ask him.

:loser:

I can't argue with you that Carlos NEEDS to step up his game to be the player he SHOULD be. But I think your being a little onesided saying " he has no "D" what so ever". He's a very good tackler for a corner and very phyisical thus the reason Williams likes him. Coverage comes with experience so this year we should see him better in all types of coverage situations. The dropped interceptions are a mystery to me, he'd just better do the wide reciever drills in practice as well as the DB drills.

What rubs me the wrong way is that Carlos has underachieved, knows that he's underachieved and seems to have a mundane attitude about the matter. He seems to live off his collegiate accomplishments as if the NFL will grant him time to correct his mistakes because of his draft position three years ago. Well Carlos had better step it up or he will find himself on the bench this year. Cause in the NFL you only get three years to prove your value, and if your only proven to be a good tackler as a corner you are not starter material.

"No D" misses open field tackles, he can't cover, and he can't catch a cold. But don't worry he got his money, and that's all thats important to him, just ask him.

:loser:

HM... sean taylor missed open field tackles, he couldnt cover last year, should we label him Sean "NO D" taylor as well?

You got this initial personal assumption about Rogers from the beggining, so everytime he does ANYTHIGN bad you take notice to it. Just because 1 or 2 bad plays stands out to you doesnt mean he is a bad player.

Does it really make you feel high and mighty for trying to belittle others? sitting on a message board taking sny shots? what a great life

we need a pass rush to make this work. we get a pass rush, we'll be a great defense. our corners and safties are all top tier guys, they need some help from the front 4.

dont you ever get bored repeating the same thing over and over...i think by now, everyone on extremeskins knows are pash rush and dline is weak...

at least according to you.

Rogers is a better tackler than Smoot. It isn't that Smoot stinks or anything, Rogers is just a better tackler. Our entire defense stunk last year. All of them. You are not going to seriously tell me Rogers was the only DB last year stinking it up. He is a third year player who I expect to be pretty solid this year if all the pieces around him perform, which as we all know is how GW's defense works.

Back to original disagreement though, wouldn't it make more sense to have our 2 best coverage guys on the outside? At this point, Springs and Smoot are the 2 best cover CB we have, so that is who you put on the islands.

Carlos is absolutely a better tackler then Smoot. Rogers struggled in coverage last year, but he's not as bad as you say.

Archived