Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anticipating our new look nickel package...

chaught76

Hey gang,

With the players we have now, are any of you excited about what our nickel defense is capable of now? I mean the personnel combinations are amazing and quite mind boogling. I am hoping and thinking we will use Rogers in the slot more. He is better tackler/hitter than Smoot. Also, where and who we use as our LBs in this package. The idea of moving Washington, McIntosh, and Fletcher around is going to cause a lot problems. What are do you all think? Here is to a great season!

HTTR!!! :helmet:

we need a pass rush to make this work. we get a pass rush, we'll be a great defense. our corners and safties are all top tier guys, they need some help from the front 4.

Next FA and draft should be very, very exciting. Full complement of picks PLUS free agency.

If our defense gets good like it should, after next year our 2008 defense will have a very nice blend of youth and experience and be excellent.

It is very exciting. We definitely have the CBs to line up any which way we want, now. Macklin and Rogers both have the size and physichality to play in the slot, as does Srpings. Smoot and Butler are smaller but both have the speed to matchup on the outside.

But what I really love is just the flexibility we have all over. Fletcher is an EXCELLENT coverage LB, Washington is good in coverage too, as is Marshall. Rocky certainly has the athleticism to be solid in coverage, we'll just have to see what happens. I imagine when it's a passing situation, you'll see Washington take over for the Daniels/Evans/Wynn platoon on the strong side rushing the passer (or dropping out into coverage at times for added confusion) with Fletcher and Rocky (or Marshall) playing a lot of coverage. Just the overall felxibility we have now, LBs who can run and cover, CBs who can match up in the slot or on an island downfield and obviously, 2 safeties with the range and power to do anything you want them to do.

I'm very excited about this defense as a whole but the renewed potential to really bring creative blitz packages and disguise our blitzes is what really has me excited. We have players at each position in the back 7 that can play all different types of coverages which allows us to blitz from anywhere without worrying about putting someone who's a coverage liability in a bad spot. We only now finally have the ability to play 04's style of defense again, the style of defense that GW's really prefers and is able to get players to excel in.

Who's our best corner coming on a blitz? Springs, Smoot or Carlos? If I remember correctly Smooty seemed to "miss" alot on those corner blitzes. I'm thinking Carlos.:logo:

Springs did have 6 sacks in 04. But if we've got Washington and Carter rushing from opposite sides with there hands down, rocky blitzing, carlos in the slot, smoot and springs on the outides, fletcher back in coverage......tell me where you find mismatches against that? Our athletic ability on the defensive side of the ball is night and day compared to last year's defense.

Who's our best corner coming on a blitz? Springs, Smoot or Carlos? If I remember correctly Smooty seemed to "miss" alot on those corner blitzes. I'm thinking Carlos.:logo:

Probably Rogers or Macklin. Springs wasn't too shabby at blitzing, but that was 2 to 3 seasons ago.

I like the idea of confusion in the package. We can put Rogers and Springs at the 1s and 2s and have Smoot in the slot, then move Smoot back out into a zone and have Springs come off the edge on the blitz. There are gonna be all kinds of possibilities if we stay healthy.

Here is the thing though. I think we are so deep now, especially at CB, we could loose Springs (heaven forbid) and still be successful. I mean we think we know what we have with Springs, Rogers, and Smoot. Macklin is decent. If Butler returns to form, we got the steal of the century. Jimoh is great on special teams and appears to be improving every year. And from what I read, Westbrook is playing well enough to at least make the practice squad. That is a heck of a lot of talent and potential at one position.

Here is the thing though. I think we are so deep now, especially at CB, we could loose Springs (heaven forbid) and still be successful. I mean we think we know what we have with Springs, Rogers, and Smoot. Macklin is decent. If Butler returns to form, we got the steal of the century. Jimoh is great on special teams and appears to be improving every year. And from what I read, Westbrook is playing well enough to at least make the practice squad. That is a heck of a lot of talent and potential at one position.

I'm right there with you man, I'm excited as hell for this. I just hope it all comes to fruition and there's no let down.

Probably Rogers or Macklin. Springs wasn't too shabby at blitzing, but that was 2 to 3 seasons ago.

Plus Im thinking with Springs being more injury prone it may be left up to Carlos and Macklin...I dont know a lot about Macklin though. But it should be interesting to see all these guys flying around this year for sure.:logo:

Here are some things I am hoping for this year from our CBs:

-Springs can stay healthy.

-Rogers holds on to his interceptions.

-Smoot's performance in Minnesota was a fluke.

*Butler returns to his old form. <- Could be the steal of free agency.

Here are some things I am hoping for this year from our CBs:

-Springs can stay healthy.

-Rogers holds on to his interceptions.

-Smoot's performance in Minnesota was a fluke.

*Butler returns to his old form. <- Could be the steal of free agency.

I think Smoot is the only one you can bank on there.:2cents: :logo:

I think this could be interesting .... With the more solid backfield it give the Williams defence more options.such as ..Putting Washington on the line as a situational pass rusher or bringing in Sartz and then dropping him back and binging the heat with the corners

I think Smoot is the only one you can bank on there.:2cents: :logo:

Probably, I think Butler could be a good player for us. He just seemed to have some bad luck. He was playing at a very high level before his injury.

The only thing with Smoot is I thought I read he got bigger/added some weight while in Minnesota. The muscle gain might have changed game, but it also could have been the defensive system he was playing in as well.

It is very exciting. We definitely have the CBs to line up any which way we want, now. Macklin and Rogers both have the size and physichality to play in the slot, as does Srpings. Smoot and Butler are smaller but both have the speed to matchup on the outside.

But what I really love is just the flexibility we have all over. Fletcher is an EXCELLENT coverage LB, Washington is good in coverage too, as is Marshall. Rocky certainly has the athleticism to be solid in coverage, we'll just have to see what happens. I imagine when it's a passing situation, you'll see Washington take over for the Daniels/Evans/Wynn platoon on the strong side rushing the passer (or dropping out into coverage at times for added confusion) with Fletcher and Rocky (or Marshall) playing a lot of coverage. Just the overall felxibility we have now, LBs who can run and cover, CBs who can match up in the slot or on an island downfield and obviously, 2 safeties with the range and power to do anything you want them to do.

I'm very excited about this defense as a whole but the renewed potential to really bring creative blitz packages and disguise our blitzes is what really has me excited. We have players at each position in the back 7 that can play all different types of coverages which allows us to blitz from anywhere without worrying about putting someone who's a coverage liability in a bad spot. We only now finally have the ability to play 04's style of defense again, the style of defense that GW's really prefers and is able to get players to excel in.

Springs did have 6 sacks in 04. But if we've got Washington and Carter rushing from opposite sides with there hands down, rocky blitzing, carlos in the slot, smoot and springs on the outides, fletcher back in coverage......tell me where you find mismatches against that? Our athletic ability on the defensive side of the ball is night and day compared to last year's defense.

I agree with these posts! The defense is much faster, deeper and more ahtletic then last year. I agree with you about Marcus playing some LDE in passing situation, but I think it might be Smoot in the slot.

Here is my predicted nickle line up:

Washington LDE, Griff LDT, Daniels RDT, Carter RDE

Fletcher SLB, Rocky WLB

Springs LCB, Landry SS, Taylor FS, Smoot slot, Carlos RCB

I could see Williams using this line up a lot b/c as DCfan said, it gives him a ton of flexibility. Rocky, Landry, Springs, Taylor and Smoot are all possible blitzers, and Marcus could either rush the passer off the end, or drop back into coverage.

I have a good feeling about the defense this season.

When this secondary has the lead, they will be very tough to penetrate. I think having such depth at CB will really help the safeties with run support. We should be able to have blitzers from anywhere on the field again this year during passing situations, which was so limited last year, but a staple of GW's top defenses. Smoot should lead the team in picks again this year like he did before he left.

I was just thinking about this the other day at work. On paper its very appealing with Taylor and Landry as the safties and five other DBs to rotate in many different potential combinations

1.Smoot 2.Rogers 3. Springs 4. Macklin 5. Stoudmire

I think rushing Washington from the weak side, and droppinf Marshal in coverage is the best coverae linebacking combination we have in this defense. But we have several options at the linebacking position as well as far as coverage. It's real exciting .. I can't wait. We must remember though that defense isn't performed on paper but on the field.

Archived