Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is it: the media or the fans???

Taylor 36

Okay, first let me say that I'm not trying to call out any particular posters with this thread. I have been a member on this board for quit awhile and, as others have pointed out in other threads, have noticed a decline in some of the postings and threads started on this site over the past couple of years.

One thing that has been bothering me lately is the number of threads that bash the media with dozens of posts claiming that the media is so biased and knows absolutely nothing (which I happen to agree with for the most part). However, some of these same posters will turn around in another thread (many times on the same day, same hour) and yell about things that are only media driven.

For example, there was a recent thread about Gibbs retiring at the end of the season. In that thread, there were many posters that have bashed the media time and time again, expressing their feelings that he probably would. Some said he would if we did poorly this year, some said he would if we won it all this year, and some just said he would.

Now, the problem here is that Joe Gibbs has never stated anything about leaving at the end of the season, nor has anyone else in the organization said he is even thinking about it. He has said time and time again that he intends to honor his contract of five years. The whole concept of his retirement is pure media speculation, yet the media haters run with it any way.

Then, of course, there is the whole ordeal about the Briggs situation and whether or not Snyder was making the calls, because some media outlets said he was.

These just happen to be two examples off the top of my head of how posters on this board do this. So, my question to the Extremeskins Nation is this: Is it the media that doesn't know what they are talking about, or is it the fans? Are Redskins fans paranoid and whiny as some have claimed, or is there true merit to their thoughts that media is against this franchise and Daniel Snyder??? I ask these questions in all sincerity, because deep down I'm concerned about what I feel was once a very strong and knowledgeable fan base.

We are not in the front office to see and hear what goes on. So EVERYTHING relating to what the team is 'going to' do in the future is pure speculation on all of our parts.

The difference is as fans we can state an opinion and admit that we are speculating, while in some media pieces from certain individuals such as Pasquarelli and Peter King the same kind of opinion-making and speculation is packaged as 'inside information', and therefore valid on its face, which it is not :)

We are not in the front office to see and hear what goes on. So EVERYTHING relating to what the team is 'going to' do in the future is pure speculation on all of our parts.

The difference is as fans we can state an opinion and admit that we are speculating, while in some media pieces from certain individuals such as Pasquarelli and Peter King the same kind of opinion-making and speculation is packaged as 'inside information', and therefore valid on its face, which it is not :)

I understand that, and thanks for the reply. However, many posters post without the caution of speculation, claiming that they know what is going to happen. Furthermore, how can any fan who believes the media doesn't know what they are talking about, gain and base opinions and knowledge from "speculated" media reports. If they stayed true to form, they wouldn't even ask the Joe Gibbs question because they would know that only people in the media have speculated that he was leaving and then wrote an article on it. Yet, all of a sudden, some twit in the media brings it up, probably not even knowing what Gibbs has said time and time again, and many on this board start to think and believe that is what's going to happen.

Excellent Post! :cheers:

In the media's defense, the fans whine and moan about no respect....yet the Redskins have done nothing to deserve respect, hence the negative media attention.

Lets string together 2 or more consecutive winning seasons and we can demand respect...until then lets not complain.

and let's also remember that some in the media are know predicting the Saints will crash in 2007 from Cinderella status and that no doubt has New Orleans fans upset at the same folks that were praising them to the heavens 6 months ago :D

and let's also remember that some in the media are know predicting the Saints will crash in 2007 from Cinderella status and that no doubt has New Orleans fans upset at the same folks that were praising them to the heavens 6 months ago :D

:applause: I agree with you on this. They turn like rabid dogs every year.

I think the true diehard fans of this team can sometimes be more accurate with their (read: our) speculation than the national media; simply because those guys are covering 32 teams, while we only truly give a rat's rear about one.

So even if you figure that your average national media analyst is covering teams equally (which is probably not the case) they're only devoting 1/32nd of their time to the Skins.

I do also think that the Cowboys garner the most national media attention. And whether or not we want to admit it, that's because Dallas sells. Their national TV games are usually the highest rated during the course of any given season, and the NFL, like any other business, is market driven.

That being said, there are times that I do feel slighted by the national media as a Redskin fan. When I think it's going on, I'll be the first to point it out. But it's certainly true that we dig a little too hard sometimes to find an alleged bias. Sometimes I almost think we're the Al Sharptons of the National Football League.

I think there is a lot of homerism (god I hate that word) in those bash the media threads. Most of those threads start when a reporter is rating something. At face value it is an opinion article and should be taken as such, calling for redskins bias in those instances is just plain stupid if you ask me.

Now when talking about the HOF and "insiders" there is definitely something to that. It also smacks you in the face when the writers call out the fans in some of those articles as well. I think a lot of it has to do because they will get a rise out of the fans and generate email so that the writers can show their boses that hey my last article got 100k emails generated to me.

Fact of the matter is that most of these sportswriters cover multiple sports and dozens of teams. They do not have the time or desire to learn what they are writing about. Quality of work has been replaced with quantity. No way is a national journalist going to know about the progress of one Anthony Montgomery, they see a crappy DL from last year + 0 improvements = crappy dline again. Most probably don't understand the GW defense philosophy so they won't take it into account.

Sometimes I will admit that they do get under my skin but for the most part I read them and let the homer in me cuss and laugh at the article.

Anyways it is a combination of both the media and the fans that have produced the conspiracy mentality.

One of my favorite oxymorons on message boards is people saying the media are idiots and then in the next thread demanding a link for some proof to back up a posters claims. Don't people realize that 90% of the links are links to the same articles by those same idiot writers?

:laugh:

One of my favorite oxymorons on message boards is people saying the media are idiots and then in the next thread demanding a link for some proof to back up a posters claims. Don't people realize that 90% of the links are links to the same articles by those same idiot writers?

:laugh:

I know.:laugh: I can understand people wanting to read an article or see a video or hear a sound bite when a poster begins a thread about something that was said to se/hear it for themselves. But, to assume that credibility will be found in an article because there is a link is very amusing.

I think the true diehard fans of this team can sometimes be more accurate with their (read: our) speculation than the national media; simply because those guys are covering 32 teams, while we only truly give a rat's rear about one.

You mean like last year when the media was calling for us to be last in the division and all the die hards on this board were saying the media was slighting us?

The media is giving this team the credit we deserve.

When the team can put two *2* good seasons together then lets talk.

Why would any person in the media praise us when we have done nothing to deserve it?

:2cents:

Us fans know more than the media regarding our team; but the media is probably more objective than us fans. I'm not sure which group is more accurate. I suspect that in 2005 the fans were more accurate than the media; but in 2006 the media was probably more accurate than the fans.

When the media says good things about our team I agree with them; but when they bash my team I bash the media. Now what hurts me the most is when an ex-Redskin player bashes the Redskins; I feel like he has betrayed his/our team.

Knowledge - Fans are more knowledgeable than the media (regarding their home team).

Bias - Fans are much more positively biased than the media (regarding their home team).

Accuracy of predictions - ?????

I think there are two or three good reasons for this really;

A) Fans bash the media because they feel they need to sound off and add their voices to the masses/get their 2ps worth (cents to you guys).

B) Fans have had a bad day at work and need to unload some stress off at someone/something, and Pastabelly is as good a target as anyone.

C) Fans feel the need to show their loyalty etc to the team by coming on here and raging about it.

D) Fans just need to increase their post count because as we all know posts mean prizes.... or not.

Ok that might well be four good reasons but hopefully you see where i am coming from.

Ill go with Insaneboost on this one too, I have read some stuff on here before and started to believe it to be true. I get very little access to the american media (only through the web) and so what exposure I do get sometimes gives me a biased tilt on things. Then when i come here and read about how the sky is falling in it does get easier to believe it is true.

Whats that quote from Josef Stalin - "if you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth" I think.

Sure makes sense to me anyway.

Who cares what anyone says! Its the players on the field that do the talking for all of us. We are at their mercy. If they suck then we look bad, but when they do good we gloat and say " i told you so". Lets just all hope and pray we do great this year, cause i would hate to see this board after another 5-11 year.

I understand that, and thanks for the reply. However, many posters post without the caution of speculation, claiming that they know what is going to happen. Furthermore, how can any fan who believes the media doesn't know what they are talking about, gain and base opinions and knowledge from "speculated" media reports. If they stayed true to form, they wouldn't even ask the Joe Gibbs question because they would know that only people in the media have speculated that he was leaving and then wrote an article on it. Yet, all of a sudden, some twit in the media brings it up, probably not even knowing what Gibbs has said time and time again, and many on this board start to think and believe that is what's going to happen.

Anything posted on this forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Fact or opinon, anything that comes out of someone's mouth (or off of their keyboard) is their own belief. Some of these beliefs are fact and some are shared by others, but the only thing you know for sure on the face of it is that it is theirs. This goes for posters on this site as well as members of the media. The difference between the two is this is a forum for discussion amongst friends and fans. We, unlike the media, do not have a responsibility to remain credible and "report" accurately.

I admit that I am one who from time to time will bash the media. However, I don't think that I would put myself in the category who thinks that we never get the coverage we deserve. Believe me, when we do well, we deserve the coverage. For instance, when we went to the playoffs two years ago, ESPN had top 10 playoffs plays and I am sure that you saw on this board that I complained the Sean Taylor's fumble recovery did not make top 10, however, Brian Urlacher made some diving INT in a loss. I understand that overall is this minor in the grand scheme of things. But I am not one of those who say we are always being overlooked in the media. I feel that we get the coverage that we deserve. We win the offseason sweepstakes when it comes to Free Agents and then rarely make the playoffs. The media covers the big signings and then the redskins clean up on Merchandise. Then on the field we lose. Until we start winning and change the culture of losing we have had recently, we will always be "overlooked".

Archived