Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mortenson: snyder won't seek compensation for Deion!!!

BCS:BraveCaringSoul

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

Buddha,

What good would the cap relief do though since Deion is off the books come June 1?

I'm talking about a cap rebate in 2003. There is no precedent for it during the salary cap era though since there hasn't been a player that has "unretired" after being away from football for two full seasons. It's what I was really holding out hope for, more so than picks.

Originally posted by Storm

I'm pissed at Snyders quote that he loves Al Davis and the Allen guy. Its irrelevant. Snyder has to do whats best for the redskins, and that includes getting draft picks whenever and wherever you can. Personal relationships aside.

On top of that Its Peion! Just out of self respect we have to demand something in return for his one year 8 million dollar charade.

He is probably just trying to stay on good terms with Davis and Deion at the same time.

Precisely. Thito, this is not an isolated incident. It's part of a greater pattern of incompetence by the owner you so love (are you his brother or something?). I gave Snyder so many chances, but is clearly a misguided owner who learns from his mistakes in the short term, only to repeat them again.

Maybe this is a move for something bigger than just mid round picks. Its getting on the good side of Al Davis and Bruce Allen. So when the offseason starts, they say "Well Bruce, instead of being an Asst GM in Oakland, you want to be the HEAD GM here in DC?" and he says "Well, this owned has hooked me up before, seems like he lets me do my thing.....a GM title......deal."

The point of the matter is this. The Redskins OWN the rights to Deion Sanders until 2007. They spent quite a lot of money to retain those rights (whether we want them or not). If someone wants to retain the services of the aforementioned Mr. Sanders, then the OWNER of those rights should be compensated for waiving his rights to them. It is simple supply and demand. Last week no one wanted, or needed, Deion. This week the Raiders do. Therefore, you get something out of your investment so that it is not a total loss.

If Snyder doesn't do something to get some sort of compensation for Peon he is making a mistake. There are no friends in the NFL when it counts. Al Davis surely would not release his right to...........lets say.............Bo Jackson if he were seeking to join the Redskins witout compensation.

post-638-13611899429371_thumb.gif

Maybe this is a move for something bigger than just mid round picks. Its getting on the good side of Al Davis and Bruce Allen. So when the offseason starts, they say "Well Bruce, instead of being an Asst GM in Oakland, you want to be the HEAD GM here in DC?" and he says "Well, this owned has hooked me up before, seems like he lets me do my thing.....a GM title......deal."

Okay one can dream.

But since that isnt likely, if Deion goes there I still want draft picks (and a very early Raiders exit out of the playoffs--with all the points against them coming via the pass).

Guys, try to be smart about this.

I, like the rest of you, would LOVE Deion to want to play again and would LOVE him to want to go to Oakland and I'd LOVE us to tell him to shove it, because he'll never play again in this league. But, bear in mind a couple of things here.

Deion has some leverage. He can simply unretire and then we have to pay him his contract again or cut him. The worst scenario though would be if we appear vindictive on Sanders, other players may hold it against us. It may hurt us in free agency if players think of us at the team that will hold their feet to the fire. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, but it could happen.

Sanders was always highly complimentary of Snyder and has never said a bad word about the man. The team really won't get anything at all for Sanders. It's simply a question of whether we want to make him pay or not and as fans I think we do. I just don't know that it matters ultimately that we feel better about it.

Further, let's wait until we see what plays out here.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

Precisely. Thito, this is not an isolated incident. It's part of a greater pattern of incompetence by the owner you so love (are you his brother or something?). I gave Snyder so many chances, but is clearly a misguided owner who learns from his mistakes in the short term, only to repeat them again.

you gave Snyder so many chances? how is that? he's been an NFL owner for 4 years and he's not allowed to make mistakes? give me a break... i've had this discussion so many times it's starting to get pointless and boring...

how is this a repeated mistake? you've never done a favor for somebody? it is a business, but it's also life... if this counts as one of Snyder's bigger mistakes, then i think we'll be just fine...

and like others have said, NOTHING has even happened yet... i think sometimes, when there's nothing there, people dig for sh!t like this... try supporting the owner like you support the team... did you hate LaVar after a few missed tackles? what about Ramsey after a few interceptions?

if this happens, then so be it... i won't agree with it, but i won't lose sleep over it either... this is stupid...

Deion is in the past and that's where Snyder wants to keep it. This is the second time we could have gotten compensation, the first being the signing of Ray Rhodes by Denver, and Snyder has chosen not to go that route. Personally, I think he wants to show players, coaches and personel around the league that he's a good guy.

No matter how you look at it, I think that this is not a smart move by Snyder. If anything, he should have agreed for a conditional pick depending on Deion's performance. That is what I would have done if I owned the Skins. You can't just give things away that you have the rights too in the NFL. You guys paid very dearly for Deion and getting something back should be a given. No matter how little it may have been.

As far as waiting to see what happens as some of you are saying, I don't think there is any more to this than what was posted by Mortensen. I heard this same story on ESPN radio and WFAN radio while doing my walk. It was plain and simple that Snyder said he won't be seeking anything from the Raiders for Deion. I know I'm a Giants fan and this doesn't have any bearing on me but I would be upset if this was done by the Giants.

Art

Fair is fair. The man sat there at his press conference and said how he admired Darrell Green and wanted to "be like him" and play for the SKins until he was 40.

Then he stole an 8 Million Signing Bonus for one year, retired, and laughed all the way to the bank.

I realize we won't get a 1st or 2nd rounder for the guy. Hell, it may even be funny to release him from the retired list, ask for nothing, and then see him fall flat on his face in a big spot. But, I still feel burned by this guy and I think we should at the very least, find a way to get some cap relief. Not sure how to do this but I just can't stand the thought of him getting his way without us getting something in return.

Snyder must have an angle here.

You don't become a billionaire by age 35 (or any age) by being soft and nice to the competition.

Maybe he will do the "11th hour change-of-heart" thing and demand compensation once the other parties have everything in place.

It just doesn't make sense to let him go w/o compensation.

Deion has some leverage. He can simply unretire and then we have to pay him his contract again or cut him. The worst scenario though would be if we appear vindictive on Sanders, other players may hold it against us. It may hurt us in free agency if players think of us at the team that will hold their feet to the fire. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, but it could happen.

If he unretires, great. We've already paid him his entire bonus and had it count against our cap. He wont be that expensive, we'll make him the nickle back and have him return punts.

No player is going to hold it against us that we didnt want to get bamboozled by Deion. In fact if we let this happen, more and more players and teams will assume we're pushovers and try this crap with us down the road.

We have to stick to our principles (OUR principles, obviously not Snyder's cause his dont make much sense).

If a 1 to 3 rounder was in play (and I'm not sure why it couldn't be) I'd be po'd but apparently it is not. For a 6 or 7 rounder I'd just let him go, I don't see much 'dignity' gained there and I just want very trace of him gone. In fact if I'm Snyder I'd publicly announce that I'm paying the Raiders some token sum to take the worthless skunk off our hands and end the threat that he'll go into the HOF as a Redskin.

I can't change the TV channel fast enough whenever that puke's grinning face dirtys my screen.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

I was a little pissed until I read the Story on ESPN. Synder said if it was the Gnats or Eagles it would never happen. Who cares if he goes to Oakland? We don't need to worry about it any more.

This is terribly naive of you and Snyder.

Hello Mr. Snyder. Let me put this in all caps so you will be sure not to miss the point:

ONCE YOU RELEASE SANDERS HE CAN SIGN WITH ANY TEAM AT ANY TIME. GIVEN THAT HE HAS BEEN HANGING OUT WITH THE COWBOYS ON AND OFF THIS YEAR, WHAT TEAM DO YOU THINK HE WOULD WANT TO PLAY FOR IN 2003? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THE MORON OF THE YEAR WHEN TUNA IS COACHING THE COWBOYS IN 2003 AND DEION IS THEIR STARTING CB?

Don't release him. Don't trade his rights -- for any pick. Let that greedy fvck stew in his own juices as every ounce of his athletic skill degrades between now and 2007.

This *is* a setup. You *will* be made into a gigantic fool. You can still stop this from happening.

I think Snyder if true, is doing the right thing. Perhaps it is the best thing for Sanders but it is also the best thing for the Redskins.

We need to move on and in fact already have done so. To re-interject Deion into the equation here with a game left in 2002 would have been a mistake.

All fighting this would have done was create another overblown media circus surrounding Deion's lawyers and the Redskins'.

There are enough issues regarding the cap if the Skins decided to force Deion's hand.

What happens if he unretired? Then the Skins would have to reinstate his contract and clear cap space.

And what kind of compensation does one get for a 35 year old washed up cornerback?

The fact the Redskins overpaid Mr. Hype in 2000 is no reason to go back and relive the mistake again by haggling with #21.

The Redskins are 2 years removed from Sanders and the greater distance we get the better.

We need to focus on our own team and improving it. The last thing we need is a media circus :)

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

ONCE YOU RELEASE SANDERS HE CAN SIGN WITH ANY TEAM AT ANY TIME. GIVEN THAT HE HAS BEEN HANGING OUT WITH THE COWBOYS ON AND OFF THIS YEAR, WHAT TEAM DO YOU THINK HE WOULD WANT TO PLAY FOR IN 2003? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THE MORON OF THE YEAR WHEN TUNA IS COACHING THE COWBOYS IN 2003 AND DEION IS THEIR STARTING CB?

would Deion starting at CB for the 'Whores be a bad thing?

Originally posted by Art

Guys, try to be smart about this.

I, like the rest of you, would LOVE Deion to want to play again and would LOVE him to want to go to Oakland and I'd LOVE us to tell him to shove it, because he'll never play again in this league. But, bear in mind a couple of things here.

Sanders was always highly complimentary of Snyder and has never said a bad word about the man. The team really won't get anything at all for Sanders. It's simply a question of whether we want to make him pay or not and as fans I think we do. I just don't know that it matters ultimately that we feel better about it.

Further, let's wait until we see what plays out here.

Art, that's the biggest bunch of loyalist malarkey I've ever seen from you.

would Deion starting at CB for the 'Whores be a bad thing?

Remember the last time he played against the Skins. Turk knocked him unconscious and he came back in the game only to score a touchdown on a punt return. Watch what you wish for. He still may be able to turn the tide in a game.

This isn't a tangible blow as much as it's a psychological blow, but either way I don't think it's a big huge deal. It does bother me a little bit that KC forced us to plunk down two 3rd round picks to hire Marty away from ESPN (er, KC), but now that the shoe's on the other foot we get nothing. But who knows, maybe we didn't have as much actual leverage in this situation as we thought.

Chief,

How is it loyalist? I also would like to burn Deion. I'm certainly not saying I don't want to or think it's correct not to demand something. All I said was there is some intelligence behind not sweating it.

It's ludicrous to get worked up about this situation on so many levels. First, nothing's happened. We don't know the conclusion. You must have been one of those guys livid that we lost Jansen the day after he turned down our FIRST offer. Ease back people.

When the story breaks and it turns out Deion is announcing for CBS next week, then what? If the Redskins actually do get something from the Raiders, then what? If they don't, then what? I doubt Snyder spoke to Mort at all. But, given what we know of the Redskins and leaks, I wouldn't be surprised to find a good bit of misinformation out there :).

Archived