Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis & the RB Posse

JoeKnowsBest

What kind of year do you think Clinton Portis will have? Do you think he and Betts will split time half and half?

I'm really curious as to what kind of shape he's in. How much productivity do you think Clinton Portis will get, and do you think he'll get a significant number of the majority of the carries?

What's the lowdown on CP, LB, & the RB Posse?

I am worried about his knees, but if Clinton is healthy and the O line creates some of the same holes we saw late last season - he should have a monster year.

I also worry about how Al is going to use both of these guy's and get the maximum production out of each. Both guys get stronger as the game progresses it seems, especially Portis. I am curious to see how this unfolds personally.

Hopefully Al will use Betts as simply a change of pace back and someone to give CP a rest. While CP rests Betts can help weardown the DL so CP can break open some big runs. a good 70/30 sort of ratio would work fine and keep CP well rested for the end of games when the defence is worn down, he'll bust some big ones in the forth quarter this season.

I want to see them both in the backfield at the same time at some point....Split backs with Betts and Portis...come on now.

Absolutely. Actually it's interesting that we haven't read as much about a split backfield here. We're always fighting over who should get more touches. But for sure putting both back there is a great idea and seriously something to look forward to seeing.

We can't take away the role for Mike Sellers.....he's a tremendous lead blocker and also can catch the ball out of the backfield.....so I say if we go to a split backfield with Portis and Betts, we do it only once in awhile.....

speaking of RB's.....do you guys think Marcus Mason can make this team?.....

We can't take away the role for Mike Sellers.....he's a tremendous lead blocker and also can catch the ball out of the backfield.....so I say if we go to a split backfield with Portis and Betts, we do it only once in awhile.....

speaking of RB's.....do you guys think Marcus Mason can make this team?.....

im not saying it's something we should do that often but it is definately a weapon we should take advantage of. Portis is an EXCELLENT blocker out of the backfield and both Portis and Betts have proven they can handle the screen and catching balls in the flats. Sellers is an excellent player but mixing things up and throwing stuff at the defense that they arent expecting is how you win football games.

I see Al saunders watching game film from thesaints last year and saying my two backs can do what mcalister and bush did....i see them in the backfiled at the same time for about 20% of the time. both can run well, block well, and are dangerous out of the backfield. I think with those two and playmakers like cooley and santana we could eat defenses up!

I believe you leave Portis on the feild as much as possible. If he gets tired, take him out for a few plays and thats it. The old KC/Saunders teams never split carries between two great backs, why would we do it with Betts?

ummm priest holmes and larry johnson?

ummm priest holmes and larry johnson?
Correct, now, have you ever seen them on the feild at the same time? How about splitting carries in a game? I remeber one, after Priest had 4 touchdowns, they sat him so LJ could grab a couple. But they didn't split carries.

When was the last time you saw JJG split carries between two backs? Never, thats about right. Pick a guy and run him as long as you can, if he breaks down, put in someone else.

Correct, now, have you ever seen them on the feild at the same time? How about splitting carries in a game? I remeber one, after Priest had 4 touchdowns, they sat him so LJ could grab a couple. But they didn't split carries.

When was the last time you saw JJG split carries between two backs? Never, thats about right. Pick a guy and run him as long as you can, if he breaks down, put in someone else.

not really accurate... popular tandems i can think of off the bat are

John Riggins and Joe Washington

Earnest Byner and Ricky Ervins

I don't know, but every team that Al Saunders has coached, seams to have a #1 Running back getting hurt. Marshall Faulk did not have anybody to replace him, and Priest Holmes had Larry Johnson. Clinton Portis will be the man with Bettes giving him some breathers. I'm thinking maybe an 75/25 ratio. Combined 2400 yrds and 31tds

gerald riggs was there too

You beat me to it. We have the trio this year to match the trio we had during our last SB run. I would love to see us use Sellers the same way Riggs was used here on short yardage and goal line situations.

I want to see them both in the backfield at the same time at some point....Split backs with Betts and Portis...come on now.

seriously - CP and/or Betts could both play blocking back if needed in a wishbone.

Oh man, the fear that a sweep would send in that situation, especially if CP pulls up and passes out to LB on a little feign. Oh man.

Start season, dang it.

Archived