Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

heart attack info *update*

You know, today started great. I got to sleep in, went to the fireworks, hung out with some friends, and then a few of my friends came over to my house and brought a ps3 planning to stay up all night playing games, around 2 my dad woke up and decided to drive himself to the hospital, at first I wasn't too concerned because he drove himself to the hospital instead of calling an ambulance, so we kept playing Resistance (good game) and having a good time, there wasn't really much else we could do. Earlier today he called from the local hospital and said he had a mild heart attack and they were sending him to a larger hospital to run some more tests (the infamous catheter from the groin to the heart :yikes: ). Now they aren't rushing him and its all supposedly precautionary, but, has anyone been through this or know someone who has that can give me any information on what's going on?

*update* Ok my dad had a minor heart attack at home Wednesday morning and drove to the hospital, he had a second in the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after they got a good look at his arteries Thursday morning they saw they were 95% blocked and needed emergency bypass surgery. With his arteries that blocked it was very lucky his heart attacks were that mild (he drove himself to the hospital), with that kind of blockage his heart attacks should have been much more severe. His arteries were clogged but his heart was in perfect health. He had a quintuple bypass Thursday afternoon and seems to be recovering ok.

I have had this done twice.

It has risks.......as do any proceedures that are intrusive.

But...it will show if there is blockage or he needs a stint or maybe meds.

Mine showed no damage at all.

Hopefully your dad will have the same results!!

I wish your dad the best.

You father may have some type of blockage that they need to determine if he needs stints or something else.

The fact he took himself to the hospital he should be find and they will find out what is wrong and treat him.

All you need to to do is stop playing that game and go see him :)

I have had this done twice.

It has risks.......as do any proceedures that are intrusive.

But...it will show if there is blockage or he needs a stint or maybe meds.

Mine showed no damage at all.

Hopefully your dad will have the same results!!

I wish your dad the best.

thanks, that realy helps calm me down. They said it was just precautionary but anything with the heart is serious. He even asked us to bring some papers he had in his car so he can work, I think that means hes feeling fine.

You father may have some type of blockage that they need to determine if he needs stints or something else.

The fact he took himself to the hospital he should be find and they will find out what is wrong and treat him.

All you need to to do is stop playing that game and go see him :)

Were going up to see him later, my mom works nights and took off work to be at the local hosptal with him so shes asleep now, but she wants to go with us later so theres not much i can do right now. And the game is a great distraction to keep my mind off it.

Were going up to see him later, my mom works nights and took off work to be at the local hosptal with him so shes asleep now, but she wants to go with us later so theres not much i can do right now. And the game is a great distraction to keep my mind off it.

Thats good. Sounds like he is ok, don't worry he will be fine.

Well, the good thing is that you are not using NJ 'hospitals' (term used VERY loosely here).

My dad and grandmother had this same procedure. Both at different times and at different hosptals as well as, two different results. All was fine with my Dad's results. Nothing major.. just the usual heart problems that run on his side of the family.

The problem occured when my grandmother had hers done...

During the procedure, the 'doc' snipped her heart during the scoping process and said nothing. Just said the same thing that the doc said to my father about how heart problems run in the family and nothing really serious. They were told to just keep an eye on it and if anything occured to go back to the hospital...

Well my grandmother died (briefly) in her hospital bed, because her heart drowned in the surrounding blood around her heart. Her Doctor at this particular hospital (different then the one that snipped her) had just finished her shift and have all but her back heel out of the door to go home for the evening.. She heard a Code being called to my grandmothers room and she rushed back up the stairs and brought my grandmother back to life. The nurses aides were going to try and shock my grandmother back to life.

With the time that it took to get the machine to the proper wattage (or whatever measurement they use to determine the proper amount of energy) my grandmother would have been dead. The Doc, pushed the aides away and pounded on my grandmothers heart so hard, that the surrounding blood seperated from the heart. Just a second longer and I would no longer have my grandmother alive.

So, while yes, there are risks in anything and any kind of procedure.. all I am saying is that you make sure the docs know what they hell they are doing.

Ok my dad had a minor heart attack at home Wednesday morning and drove to the hospital, he had a second in the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after they got a good look at his arteries Thursday morning they saw they were 95% blocked and needed emergency bypass surgery. With his arteries that blocked it was very lucky his heart attacks were that mild (he drove himself to the hospital), with that kind of blockage his heart attacks should have been much more severe. His arteries were clogged but his heart was in perfect health. He had a quintuple bypass Thursday afternoon and seems to be recovering ok.

Glad they got things done and he's recovering. That quadruple bypass seems the thing to do these days. He should do fine. They do these things like tonsilectomies nowadays. You'll be amazed at his recovery time if his rehab is done correctly. His diet will be the biggest change for him plus a regiment of exercise. Good time for the whole family to get in better shape. Heart problems run in the family you know:) , so watch what you eat even tho you're young...still it's hereditary. God bless you all and I'll keep you and him in my prayers.:cheers:

You know, today started great. I got to sleep in, went to the fireworks, hung out with some friends, and then a few of my friends came over to my house and brought a ps3 planning to stay up all night playing games, around 2 my dad woke up and decided to drive himself to the hospital, at first I wasn't too concerned because he drove himself to the hospital instead of calling an ambulance, so we kept playing Resistance (good game) and having a good time, there wasn't really much else we could do. Earlier today he called from the local hospital and said he had a mild heart attack and they were sending him to a larger hospital to run some more tests (the infamous catheter from the groin to the heart :yikes: ). Now they aren't rushing him and its all supposedly precautionary, but, has anyone been through this or know someone who has that can give me any information on what's going on?

*update* Ok my dad had a minor heart attack at home Wednesday morning and drove to the hospital, he had a second in the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after they got a good look at his arteries Thursday morning they saw they were 95% blocked and needed emergency bypass surgery. With his arteries that blocked it was very lucky his heart attacks were that mild (he drove himself to the hospital), with that kind of blockage his heart attacks should have been much more severe. His arteries were clogged but his heart was in perfect health. He had a quintuple bypass Thursday afternoon and seems to be recovering ok.

Sorry to hear about that man. Working in the ER and on an ambulance I see this about 2 or 3 times everyday. What your dad did was pretty amazing. Even in the case of severe heart attacks generally the rule is you have 1 hour from the onset of pain to get help and still save valuable functions of the heart. Most men deny chest pain because of the fear of being hospitalized. The body compensates well for a certain amount of time but after a while the heart cells die, which is infarction. Make sure you keep an eye on him and be his second set of eyes. If it happens again, I recommend calling paramedics. Instead of sitting in red lights and going through ER registration, the paramedics will be there in then less then 5 minutes and will start an IV where they give a medication called nitroglycerine. To be short, it opens up everything in the heart so blood travels through the heart easier and it eases the chest pain. Did they send him home with his own Nitro?

Archived